Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Just back from the Pepsi

892 views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  BillMurray 
#1 ·
Nice win tonight by the small and undermanned Saints. Fordham really gave Jordan a lot of attention and to Scoop's credit he played within himself. . Kojo was quite simply by far the best guard on the floor. Fordham had no answer for him. He could seemingly take his man off the dribble anytime he wanted too. Eastchester's finest ( with apologies to GuyF) David Ryan played a superb game, hitting outside shots forcing Dunston out from the basket to guard him. At one point when Dave hit 2 three pointers in a row, I though Fordham coach Whit was gonna explode he was so pissed. Not to sound cocky but if Tay Fisher has even a decent shooting game we blow these guys out by 25.

the margin of error is very small for the Saints, we are young, small and have no depth, any injuries foul trouble and we will have a long night. But its looks more and more like these "scrappy" Saints will be a tough out at home.

#2 ·
I am man enough to admit that while it's still early, I appear to have been quite wrong about Siena. I had projected a 3-win campaign, with a max of 8, but Siena will probably end up winning 7-10. The future in Loudonville is bright. And as we know, a healthy Siena is good for the conference.

Of course, I was rooting for Siena tonight. Any Fordham loss is a good loss. Hopefully my Gaels don't get too full of themselves now and lay an egg at Rose Hill on Thursday!

#4 ·
Beagle said:
Congrats to you and Siena, Tony. I hear the crowd was quite light, is that correct?

Depends on what your definition of light is. By MAAC standards 4,400 will probably be bigger or one of the biggest crowds of the year. By Siena standards yes it was rather small considering the last 4 years of Lanier ball very understandable. I expect to crowds to gradually come back, its always fun to root for the underdog, for the David Against Goliath

#5 ·
Agree. 4400 sounds about right for the opening game in the post-Lanier era. More fans will come out for the next one, count on that.

As an added bonus for beating Fordham, we all have the pleasure of enjoying the pure comedy that the Fordham board will be over the next couple of days.

#6 ·
I kind of get a kick out of reading the Fordham board. Now granted Siena is certainly down, but they talk like Fordham is some kind of basketball power. Siena has been such a better program over the last 20 years its not funny. Nice to see Siena take care of business tonight. Next up the Gaels can they continue National U fans depression, I certainly hope so ;-)

#8 ·
Beagle, why do you care what Siena's attendence is? Siena is 10 times the program of Rider and things will be just fine in the long run.

You should be more concerned with the false capacity that Rider has listed for Alumni Gym.

#10 ·
Real nice win for the saints especially at home for their long suffering fans under that loser Lanier. The saints will contend and play hard in every game under Fran M. BTW, what is Siena's starting frontcourt besides Dave Ryan? Again, nice win - glad to see the Saints are back. It is good for the MAAC.

#15 ·
Albany will be tough Saturday no doubt about it. But no matter what outcome of the game Siena will still be the "team" in town, Siena is always the lead story on the news or the paper days when both teams have games. Albany has to post a winning season or beat some sort of good teams before they even think about being the "team" in town. What will Albany's record be after tonight? 1-4.. and Albany better win this season because by next season Siena will be back to full strenth. Good Luck my young Albany friend

#16 ·
1-4 doesn't mean anything. They played a great game against 16th ranked UCLA. A couple more plays there way, and they would have pulled the upset. Will Brown has done some awesome recruiting, and you're going to see UA become a dominant force. Fans are fickle, and they want to see winners. If Albany starts winning, and starts contending for the show, and they will, the capital district is going to drop Siena like a bag of rocks. There's only one team that has Albany written on their jerseys.

#17 ·
Hey UAlbany fan,

Has Albany ever beat a Big East team or hosted them (I don't mean a few years ago when Syracuse came to the Pepsi either)?

Has Albany ever beat an Atlantic 10 team or hosted them?

Has Albany ever reached postseason play (NCAA-NIT)?

Has Albany ever been .500 in Division 1?

Has Albany ever drawn more than 5000 fans to a game and averaged nearly 7000 one year?

You could beat us by 100 on Saturday and Albany will still be Siena's town. Like New York is a Yankees town, the Mets always playing second fiddle. Could it be your town for one year (Like the Mets in '86) sure but in the long run Albany is a Siena town.

Nice game against UCLA though you hung in there. I hope Albany thinks they have the game won like you do, because if they do they might be leaving the Pepsi with a big fat L.

#18 ·
UAlbany09 said:
1-4 doesn't mean anything. They played a great game against 16th ranked UCLA. A couple more plays there way, and they would have pulled the upset. Will Brown has done some awesome recruiting, and you're going to see UA become a dominant force. Fans are fickle, and they want to see winners. If Albany starts winning, and starts contending for the show, and they will, the capital district is going to drop Siena like a bag of rocks. There's only one team that has Albany written on their jerseys.

Thanks for that well thought out synopsis of capital district hoops. Easy to see you must be one of UAlb brightest posters. And it looks like you are a regular Edgar Casey with all your predictions

#19 ·
UCLA was missing their best player and point guard Jordan Farmar, so that wasn't as impressive as it looked and Albany has Jordan, Zoellner, Levine as seniors this year so Brown needs to win in 2006. This year Albany is expected to win big over Siena but Fran has his team overachieving.

#20 · (Edited)
UAlbany09 said:
1-4 doesn't mean anything. They played a great game against 16th ranked UCLA. A couple more plays there way, and they would have pulled the upset. Will Brown has done some awesome recruiting, and you're going to see UA become a dominant force. Fans are fickle, and they want to see winners. If Albany starts winning, and starts contending for the show, and they will, the capital district is going to drop Siena like a bag of rocks. There's only one team that has Albany written on their jerseys. Siena is going down this weekend. UAlbany is taking over the town and the rivalry. The Siena Era is over. Go danes.

hmm still think so? Whooooose yer daddy UAlbany09? ;-) :banana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.