Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As awful as we've been, we look a little bit better lately. And of course, we will hopefully get Stack and Gill back around the All-Star break.

Could we make a run at the playoffs? Are there any available guys out there that could help us and we wouldn't have to give up much for?

Well, we might be able to get Shareef Abdur-Rahim.... reportedly Atlanta wants to dump him. He's not a difference-making player, but he's a consistent scorer. And his deal is up after next year anyway. At the very worst, I don't see how it would hurt us. As long as we didn't have to give up a lot, why not try to get him?

SAR and Jacque Vaugn for JJ, Haywood, Laettner, Knight.

That gives the Hawks some young players (although I've totally lost faith in Haywood and I don't think JJ is anything special), and an ending contract in the form of Knight.

If we get healthy, our lineup looks like one that could push for the playoffs:

1- Arenas, Vaughn, Blake, CWhit
2- Hughes, Dixon
3- Stackhouse, Hayes
4- SAR, Braggs
5- Kwame, Etan

We look pretty thin up front, but maybe we could add another guy to help us out a little there too. The starting five definitely looks like it could do some damage, however.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
You're half right, the Hawks do want young players. They also want good young players though :grinning: I say keep Reef and see where the ping pong balls land.. we are bad enough as is to get a shot at #1

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
keep laettner and trade away whitney. we need some good height and experience and Jesus is a great set shooter. so we don't want to trade away our height and have 4 back-up PG's.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
no

hawks won't do that

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
People have to keep in mind that there is believed to be a "fire sale" mentality in Atlanta, where they want to shed off their big, long-term contracts. A deal like this, where they get two young (and cheap) big men and two contracts that are either expiring or easily dumped, is probably a lot more doable than it looks at first glance.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
People have to keep in mind that there is believed to be a "fire sale" mentality in Atlanta, where they want to shed off their big, long-term contracts. A deal like this, where they get two young (and cheap) big men and two contracts that are either expiring or easily dumped, is probably a lot more doable than it looks at first glance.
Okay what good is cap room? Huh? Nobody is lining up to play for ATL, and in this day in age of the NBA.... teams are built through the draft not in free agency.. Shareef is not exactly a long term contract either... he has 1 year remaining according to realgm. And Vaughn has 0 years remaining according to realgm.

I would okay this deal if there was a guy w/ potential like an Al Harrington type prospect... but not these guys.. Having said that, SAR is on his way out once we draft our big man.

Really the only guys I see worth keeping would be Diaw, Jackson, Mohammed, Ekezie, Vaughn..... Terry needs to go, SAR should go to make room for our high draft pick, and Theo should go to get some late round picks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.