Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have always been a big Duke Hater, and that always directly affected my thinking on Bobby Hurley. I have softened my stance a little bit lately, especially on Hurley. I don't know much about Dan, but these guys went into Wagner and turned things around in a huge hurry. My gut feeling is that these two are going to turn things around at URI much faster than most of us think. I was thoroughly unimpressed with Baron. I am kind of fearful that the Hurleys are going to recruit at a high level, instill discipline and toughness, and have URI a contender in the A10 in the near future. They have the NY/NJ pipeline connections and once they can show some success in Rhody, I have a feeling that they will be able to really leverage that pipeline to a greater extent and be in play for some big time recruits. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I think URI is a really attractive job and destination, that Baron managed to keep mired in mediocrity for a decade.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Did you also "feel" that way about JVBK when SBU hired him?
I did "feel" that way when VBK was hired. I was a big Baron guy. I'm only saying Hurley seems to be one of those guys who comes into a struggling program, snap his fingers, and everything is okay overnight. It feels greasy... that's all. No accusations here.

Post Scipt: How did you "feel" when Jim Harrick was hired?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Considering that their father has seemingly run a high-level HS program the right way for decades, that Bobby went to Duke where K also seemingly does things the right way and not sure where the Hurley suspicion stems from. Sure Danny went to Seton Hall, not a bastion of an perfect program of late, but I think that's outweighed by other familial influences and doesn't reflect on DH.

Just putting the name Hurley on a program like Wagner probably got him in with better recruits to turn around a NEC team so fast. It can be done quickly with just a couple of higher level players in a conference like that.

Love this URI/Bonas 'who hired the slimier coach' sidebar though. Can't wait for it to devolve further.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
It wasn't my intention to start a pissing match. In hindsight, I shouldn't have commented at all. Slow day at work. All best to Rhody.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Considering that their father has seemingly run a high-level HS program the right way for decades
I don't think there's a lot to it, but I know Bona's fans didn't love the way the Eli Carter thing went down, and some (not at all suggesting this is where Bill is coming from) may associate Hurley Sr. with this.

I think URI will be better off with Hurley if they can keep him around for 5 years or so. Baron's teams seem to have a very defined ceiling, one that Bona's was happy with (given where they were coming from) and URI got tired of after 10 years. Hurley has the potential to take them further, I would think.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I don't think there's a lot to it, but I know Bona's fans didn't love the way the Eli Carter thing went down, and some (not at all suggesting this is where Bill is coming from) may associate Hurley Sr. with this.

I think URI will be better off with Hurley if they can keep him around for 5 years or so. Baron's teams seem to have a very defined ceiling, one that Bona's was happy with (given where they were coming from) and URI got tired of after 10 years. Hurley has the potential to take them further, I would think.
Hey Wolf, I don't know that Bonas was happy with such a ceiling. I think many a Bona fan expected a continued progression under Baron, and at least he got the Bonnies an at large bid. A team with Green and Gansey as upperclassman might have been special.

Now, President Wick wasn't happy with Baron. He figured JVBK was the guy to lead Bonas to great things. Well, we all know how that turned out...

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Not trying to make anything out of BR's comment, just making a statement:

I recently met Coach Hurley Sr and his wife. If Danny & Bobby are anything like their parents, then there are two classy guys roaming the sideline in Kingston. I for one can't wait to see them this year.

And a disclaimer, despite my screen name, I'm not a Dayton fan. UD = Udonis Haslem. My blood is Keaney blue to the fullest extent.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
...where K also seemingly does things the right way...
Somehow Coach K never got stuck with any of the fallout from the Corey Maggette/Myron Piggie scandal. The fact is that there was far more proven nefarious activity in that one player's recruitment than the sum total of all proven activity of John Calipari. The simple fact is that Coach K gets away with stuff because he's Coach K.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hey Wolf, I don't know that Bonas was happy with such a ceiling. I think many a Bona fan expected a continued progression under Baron, and at least he got the Bonnies an at large bid. A team with Green and Gansey as upperclassman might have been special.

Now, President Wick wasn't happy with Baron. He figured JVBK was the guy to lead Bonas to great things. Well, we all know how that turned out...
I guess I meant to say that they were happy with where they were when Baron left (ish). He didn't have time to really wear out his welcome here. It's also a case of looking back...I'd much rather have had a bunch of 15 to 18 win seasons and NIT appearcances than the 10 years we did have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts