Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, could he? Could he possibly do even more?

I say that he COULD, but he's probably not in that mentality yet. Duhon is a talented passer and a tough player, as well as a great defender. The greatest disparity is in defense, because I think Jay is also a very talented passer. He's not as good a ball-handler, but he's a much better pure shooter (Duhon, of course, is making big strides there).

I'm just wondering if we could get Jay Williams signed for two years to closer to the minimum and let Duhon go, to save some money and look for MLE options. Duhon has really grown on me, and his success is irrefutable, but money always has to take its toll someplace. I'd rather it not be on Tyson and Eddy...

Is there any remaining interest in Jay at all, or is that basically just history?

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Showtyme said:
Well, could he? Could he possibly do even more?

I say that he COULD, but he's probably not in that mentality yet. Duhon is a talented passer and a tough player, as well as a great defender. The greatest disparity is in defense, because I think Jay is also a very talented passer. He's not as good a ball-handler, but he's a much better pure shooter (Duhon, of course, is making big strides there).

I'm just wondering if we could get Jay Williams signed for two years to closer to the minimum and let Duhon go, to save some money and look for MLE options. Duhon has really grown on me, and his success is irrefutable, but money always has to take its toll someplace. I'd rather it not be on Tyson and Eddy...

Is there any remaining interest in Jay at all, or is that basically just history?
I'd say he COULD as well, but I really don't know anything or can say I want him in place of Duhon until I see him play post-injury.

Even if it's close, I'd rather keep someone who already knows and plays well within the system for a few more dollars (and with less injury risk). I doubt we would want to sign a full MLE guy anyways, because we will be needing to set aside money to sign our other young players.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Give Jay a spot on the summer league team and see if he still has game. Make your decision from there.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't think people remember just how bad Jay's matador defense was. He constantly was beat off the dribble. ... and that was with his speed.

On the plus side, Jay's quickness also allowed him to get in the passing lanes for steals, but that quickness is probably what was lost due to the injuries to hip, knees and foot.

So unless Skiles could really teach him something, Jay would be a major liability on defense especially paired in
a small back court with Gordon or Kirk.

Jay like Duhon was very good at setting tempo, so it would have been very interesting to see Jay in this style of offense rather than the triangle for which he was ill suited.

Jay was also better than any of the Bulls' guards at penetrating and dishing, since few guards or players for that matter possessed his ability to get to any spot on the floor....but then again that was attributed to his quickness, which he again probably lost.

So sad

:frown:

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Jay was not really the point guard people made him out to be.

he was a guy who tried his best to meld his game to cartwright's wishes, but when he was demoted he was more free to play his style of game in the 2nd unit and when he played with crawford because he wasn't as burdened with playmaking responsibilities,

in that situation he played much , much better , i dont think it was at all a coincidence, so no i dont think he could distribute like duhon, in fact i never did it was obvious at duke who the point guard was between the 2, he didn't have mentality and he never truly aquired it.

defensively jay was bad , he hustled , but he played small and he had bad defensive instincts ...i dont think if he lost some quickness it would affect him all that much, because his speed and quickness was not the problem, that he just wasn't a good defender was the problem , because he definitely was doing his best out there of that i have no doubt.

he could have compensated for those deficiencies by being a much better offensive player , when duhon is inside the 3 point line if he isn't passing he has no clue what to do , he has lost his scoring ability it seems to me, jay and duhon had about equal passing talent but jay's judgement was suspect at times, he took risks he shouldn't have , but when he had the ball he was much more dangerous, ability to score like any other talent such as rebounding, or a great handle helps a guard immensly if its used properly, and jay unlike duhon had both the ability to score and a great handle on the ball , he could get to any place on the court.

thats an ability that just doesn't rely on speed tim hardaway still had it after he lost his quickness and payton has it today and he's 36.

he could have done what duhon does on offense , but he would hace to accomplish it differently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts