Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
I guess it was a perfect storm for a pitcher to win MVP. Granderson was the only other player in contention to make the playoffs and no everyday player had an eye popping statistical season to overcome playing on a non-playoff team.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Very glad that the writers were able to differentiate between the Hank Aaron and the MVP this year. :) JV35 deserved it. I'm somewhat surprised though, usually when you finish the season in a slump it severely hurts your chances. Glad the writers overlooked that.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Very glad that the writers were able to differentiate between the Hank Aaron and the MVP this year. :) JV35 deserved it. I'm somewhat surprised though, usually when you finish the season in a slump it severely hurts your chances. Glad the writers overlooked that.
Well, when your "slump" consists of winning 12 of your last 13 starts you know you're pretty damn good.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Well, when your "slump" consists of winning 12 of your last 13 starts you know you're pretty damn good.
The overall numbers look good... but 3 of his last 6 starts he gave up 4+ runs. His August ERA was actually worse than September - 3.12 - so he wasn't as sharp in either of the final two months. He kept winning, kept putting in innings. But definitely a slump when you're sandwiching those usualy 0 and 1 run starts with 4 and 5 run starts.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
The overall numbers look good... but 3 of his last 6 starts he gave up 4+ runs. His August ERA was actually worse than September - 3.12 - so he wasn't as sharp in either of the final two months. He kept winning, kept putting in innings. But definitely a slump when you're sandwiching those usualy 0 and 1 run starts with 4 and 5 run starts.
Yep, pretty high standards he set for himself.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Yep, pretty high standards he set for himself.
As a Tigers fan I am hardly complaining - He gave us a shot to win every night out, and his worst nights weren't really that bad overall with the way he saved our pen and kept us in those games so the bats could do the work. But just saying - he performed well below MVP level at the end of the season, that much is obvious. If not for the collapse of Boston I don't think he'd have had a really strong shot.

·
MLB Fanatic
544 Posts
What can I say, Verlander is a beast!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts