1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay...
Who is the best shooter in our team?
Obvious... T-mac

Who is our best shot creator on our team?
Obvious... T-mac

Then... i am puzzled why JVG ALWAYS in end game situations ALWAYS sets a high pick for Mcgrady... KNOWING that all it will do is DOUBLE T-mac???
WHY ARE YOU FORCING YOUR BEST SHOOTER TO BE DOUBLED IN THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you have to do is iso mcgrady up top... let everyone watch... and let himtake it down, and shoot!!!
ITS THAT SIMPLE JVG!!! NO FREAKIN REASON FOR A SCREEN!!!!

And if you LOVE THE DAMN SCREEN SO MUCH... then let someone else set up Mcgrady for the shot.... BECAUSE MCGRADY IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST SHOOTER ON THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT FORCE HIM TO GET DOUBLED AND DUMB IT OFF THE IDIOTICSURA FOR A OFF BALANCE LAY UP!!!!!!!

when you have someone who can create his own shot so easily, and is such a great shooter.... why FORCE him to give it up!!!!!

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
John is going to come in here and say that tmac can't create his own shot in an isolation situation

Anyway, the play wasn't for Sura to take that layup, it was a broken play and Tmac was left with nothing to do with the ball with 3 seconds on the shot clock. He should have just shot it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Reading your post, then reading your sig, it makes me laugh.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drewbs said:
John is going to come in here and say that tmac can't create his own shot in an isolation situation

Anyway, the play wasn't for Sura to take that layup, it was a broken play and Tmac was left with nothing to do with the ball with 3 seconds on the shot clock. He should have just shot it.
he was doubled because JVG loves the pick up top to force T-mac to get doubled. if you just allow t-mac to dribble down the shot clock and pull yhats better than a sura lay-up

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nephets said:
Reading your post, then reading your sig, it makes me laugh.
hey.. coaches arnt perfect. JVG is still a great coach... but he like every human has his flaws... and JVG's flaw is game ending play calling

·
Registered
721 Posts
farhan007 said:
hey.. coaches arnt perfect. JVG is still a great coach... but he like every human has his flaws... and JVG's flaw is game ending play calling
I know. I was just playing around.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I was going to make a thread about the end of that game....

....some of the blame can be put on McGrady....there was really no reason for him to pass the ball off in both cases (shot clock violations)...he should've kept his dribble alive, and either drive hard to the paint or pull up for the jumper...

..I personally can't stand all the pick n rolls they run for him..specifically at ends of games..in therory it would work but McGrady too often doesn't keep his dribble alive...

Houston would be better off getting him the ball in the low/mid post, letting him work iso'...for some reason either he or JVG shy's away from a straight isolation for McGrady(especially at the top of the key)

but yeah, the end of that game fustrrated the hel out of me to

·
Registered
425 Posts
Who's the best shooter on Rockets? Not Tmac, it's Yao. And Yao is shooting 60% in 4th quarter for the year. Rockets have too few plays designed for Yao in game ending situation.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Drewbs said:

oh dont lmfao. He went to JVG earlier this eason that T-mac wanted more freedom playing with the ball and more picks and rolls for T-mac as well. He got the wishes and now Houston fans blamed his inability to truly break down a player in clutch isolation situation on JVG?

LMAO!

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
T-mac was at fault both times. There was really no reason to pass the ball to Sura with barely any seconds left. He should've just shot it, and I bet it would've still looked much better then whatever crap Sura was throwing up.
But I do agree the Rockets have to stop running so many pick and rolls with him. He's good enough to get his own shot going 1 on 1 whenever he wants it. Yet sadly there are just too many times where he just picks up his dribble when trapped off a pick and roll, and passes it to somebody. T-mac's NOT a great dribbler, he doesn't have a whole lot of counter moves......so letting him go 1 on 1 where doubling him would be much harder is the best option for the Rockets at the end of games.

They were VERY lucky to win last night.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I also have not been happy with end game situations. I've seen him go to PADGETT and BARRY who both blew buzzer threes by airballing.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
John said:
oh dont lmfao. He went to JVG earlier this eason that T-mac wanted more freedom playing with the ball and more picks and rolls for T-mac as well. He got the wishes and now Houston fans blamed his inability to truly break down a player in clutch isolation situation on JVG?

LMAO!
:embattledorlandofan: enjoy Steve Francis & John Weisbrod.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shoprite said:
Who's the best shooter on Rockets? Not Tmac, it's Yao. And Yao is shooting 60% in 4th quarter for the year. Rockets have too few plays designed for Yao in game ending situation.
lol....yao takes 3 footers all the time... im talking about up top.... so your saying you would rather haveShaq take a jumpshot than mcgrady?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SPMJ said:
T-mac was at fault both times. There was really no reason to pass the ball to Sura with barely any seconds left. He should've just shot it, and I bet it would've still looked much better then whatever crap Sura was throwing up.
But I do agree the Rockets have to stop running so many pick and rolls with him. He's good enough to get his own shot going 1 on 1 whenever he wants it. Yet sadly there are just too many times where he just picks up his dribble when trapped off a pick and roll, and passes it to somebody. T-mac's NOT a great dribbler, he doesn't have a whole lot of counter moves......so letting him go 1 on 1 where doubling him would be much harder is the best option for the Rockets at the end of games.

They were VERY lucky to win last night.
umm... t-mac not a good dribbler??? lol

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys i know t-mac still should of taken the shot... but it would of looked bad because he was doubled and would have to force a fadeaway 3pt atempt.
JVG can avoid t-mac getting forced into that situation by stoping those idiotic picks on the top.

·
Registered
153 Posts
this john cat is the worst kind of hater ... he actually thinks he is knowledgeable. to suggest that mcgrady can't get his own shot w/out screens or some other bs is just crazy and it shows you don't know a damn thing. put him in an iso situation and no one can stop him. that's why every team throws the kitchen sink at him.

anyway back to the topic ...

i don't think sura should have been in the game in that situation. if you're going to run picks w/ the clock running down then you need shooters and sura is not a great shooter. mike james would have been a better option.

and mcgrady can't win either way. when you get trapped that means a man is open, so if he goes it alone and just throws some $hit up he's ball hogging. he runs the same play with padgett, barry, etc and they don't put the ball on the floor and dribble out the clock. you get a opening you shoot.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just dont understand why jvg just cant run down the clock and let mcgrady do his thing

·
Registered
153 Posts
the rockets offense runs into trouble when jvg tries to control every detail. sometimes letting mcgrady freelance and come up with something on the fly isn't the worst possible thing (see: 13 in 31). put 3 shooters on the floor with mcgrady and yao and just let him go to work. when the suns were making their run around the 8 minute mark in the 4th quarter tom tolbert said something that was right on point. he said put the ball in mcgrady's hands and let him create something, the very next minute jon barry was knocking down a wide open three pointer. it's not that hard. the rox have done it many times this season. even that first seattle game, padgett had a great wide open look off a mcgrady feed ... scott missed, but it was a good play. don't make things more complex than they need to be.

oh and don't have sura on the floor in situations like that if you're hell bent on running screens. in that situation mcgrady doesn't have time to analyze the capabilities of that open shooter. he sees the man and he throws it to him. sura's been hesitating ever since he came back from injury. every time a teammate swings the ball to him he puts it on the floor if a defender is even 5 feet away. it seems like he only shoots when he has time to set the lines on the ball just right in his hand.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Of all his 'offensive brialliance' (or, the desire to 'control' an offense), the high-screen-n-roll involving Yao Ming and T-Mac is the least I like. In fact, I don't like it at all. Not only TMac does not always need a screen, this play also drag Yao out of his comfort zone. This move just make the entire Rockets' offense too methodical because Yao is not a great pick-n-roll player due to his gigantic size and lack of quickness. Too many times the ball-handler has to either pass the ball to someone on the weakside or create his own shot after they unsuccessfully ran the p-n-p. I don't understand why JVG does not put Yao on the weakside more often in this situation and let one of their 4s take the screen job.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts