Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about Kansas top recruits?

David Padgett
Thomas Gardner
Ronnie Brewer
Keith Wooden
Brian Butch
Omar Wilkes

I know a little bit about Padget, Wooden and Wilkes, other than that no idea about them. Justin Young, I know you may know some of these players. Would it be possible for you to share some of your insight? Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
David Padgett- The top recruit for Kansas. He is a 7-0 center who can post up and uses what stregnth he has. Kansas, Stanford seem to be in the lead.

Thomas Gardner- Attends the school Miles and Lee did. He can shoot and dropped 42 points on Mizzou top recruit Olu Famutimi. He is 6-5 and can score at will. UCONN seems to be pushing harder then any other team, but Kansas could still be considered in the lead.

Ronnie Brewer- A pure SF who can drive with the best of them. He has struggled with his 3-point shot but a lot of Kansas fans consider him to be a huge target. Arkansas and Kansas seem to be going back and forth between his leaders.

Keith Wooden- In the mold of Keith Wooden. He can knock down the 3-point shot now and then, but is better in the post. He can leap like crazy. At 6-8 220, he is a bit inconsistent. He does go around wearing a Arizona State hat. TCU is a possibility because of Neil Dougherty.

Brian Butch- He is a 7-footer as well. He is a straight up back to the basket player. It is going to be hard to get him out of Wisconsin, and the only team that seems to have that shot at him is UNC.

Omar Wilkes- Good friends with David Padgett. Padgett and Wilkes have expressed the fact they would love to attend the same college. The only schools really pushing for them both are Kansas and Stanford. He is the son of Jamaal Wilkes (from UCLA).
Kansas and Stanford seem to have the best shots at getting him.

I feel we will get Keith Wooden, David Padgett, and Omar Wilkes to go along with Giddens and Case.

Shannon Brown committed today to Michigan State.

Darnell Jackson seems to be great friends with J.R. Giddens and they seem to play togethor just fine. He seems to be a big fan of Kansas as well.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figured Padgett and wilkes are good possibites. We should and need to sign Wooden. He is a Lawrence project, and the last one was Danny Manning (only fo ra year though)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well I think BigC did a great job on these players but I’ll give my 2 cents worth as well…

Getting Padgett is key for Roy Williams. Every school in America wants the big man but the Jayhawks are the frontrunner and have been for quite some time now. It seems like Williams always has a dominant big man on his team. So it only makes sense that the Kansas program lands Padgett.

If for whatever reason Padgett doesn’t sign, then the other big man to target is Brian Butch. Butch may be the better prospect out of the two but he also has struggled with injuries. Plus UNC, Wisconsin and Arizona may be leading.

I haven’t had the opportunity to see Gardner play since he was a freshman. I lived in Lake Oswego, OR (a Portland burb) and I watch the Jefferson team a lot. But apparently Gardner is another big time player. Now that Shannon Brown is at MSU, odds of getting another Portland player are much better.

I don’t mean to be the one who says this but Missouri is also hot on his trail. But let me throw this into the mix as well. Oregon has to be a top candidate as well. Look what Freddie Jones did in that system. He too was a smaller shooting guard. Just throwing that into the mix for thought. It’s a long shot but it’s worth discussing.

Speaking of Jefferson HS, I’m just baffled how such a school can continue to put out such great players. They are known for their super guards but they’ve had some decent big men go onto programs like Pepperdine and New Mexico. Talk about a great program! But I digress…

Arkansas will do just about anything to keep Ronnie Brewer in state. I’d be VERY surprised if he went anywhere else. By the way…I, along with my brother, had a chance to work closely with the Arkansas program at the Peach Jam. Without actually saying anything but implying everything, the Razorbacks are getting him if Olu gets away.

Keith Wooden was hurt at the Atlanta Basketball Classic and that was the only time I was able to watch him play. He played sporadically because of that. But apparently that is kind of the theme with him. He’s inconsistent.
I was impressed by his agility for a kid his size and his ability to hit a little further than most post players. So that’s encouraging. But unfortunately I have the image of him sitting on the bench and slowly running back on defense in my mind so my opinion on him may be tainted.

Interesting point about the ASU hat. It’s the little things like that that give little subtle clues. According to Prep Stars, the Sun Devils are the front-runner.

Darnell Jackson was mentioned along with Case and Giddens. I liked him a lot at the Peach Jam. He is a big, big kid. And he’s still growing! He isn’t getting much attention right now but I can totally see him in the Big 12 at Kansas, Texas or Oklahoma. He just seems to be a player that would fit well into one of those programs.

Finally, I’d play for Roy Williams in a heartbeat. I enjoy people watching and during the summer I made it a point to watch coaches at work amongst each other, their own staffs, the fans, etc. Coach Williams just stood out. He always had a smile on his face and always had a positive attitude.

I was leaving a game and got caught in a crowd. Coach Williams was standing next to me talking to a guy in his late 20s. I didn’t know who he was but Roy was locked into the conversation. Nothing else was on his mind. Whatever the guy was saying, Roy was interested in it. With all of the people around us, he could have been easily distracted but he wasn’t. To me, it’s the little things like that that separate the great from the good. Class act guy, class act program.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Gardner

I've read that recently MU's been pushing harder for him. Things look a little bleak with Olu, with talk of the NBA, Memphis getting involved, and talk of waiting until the late period to sign. MU's main target at this point is Luol Deng, and I truely believe MU's got as much of a chance as anyone, including Duke. I know that MU had Manute Bol in Columbia recently to talk at a camp or something, and he's the man who taught Deng to play in Africa. Plus they just received a verbal from another African player. Thomas Garder and Luol Deng would be a great 2-3 combination for MU.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good to know, Butch is mentioned with Carolina outside of Carolina fans.

You guys could get a good one in Padgett. We recruited him pretty hard and still are but all I hear is that he wants to stay out west. A little under 7 foot and around 235 and based on some reports I've read, he reminds me some of Nick Collison. If Butch committs to Wisconsin, I'd be very happy with Padgett.

Man, I love Brian Butch. I will eat my computer if he verbals to Carolina.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Padgett & Wilkes parents visiting

They are both visiting Kansas this weekend with out there children. They said they wanted to checkout the campus. They arrived on Friday.

That sounds real good for Kansas.

Also, in a interview on KUsports.com, Omar Wilkes mentions that no one is ahead of Kansas right now.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Padgett & Wilkes parents visiting

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>!
They are both visiting Kansas this weekend with out there children. They said they wanted to checkout the campus. They arrived on Friday.

That sounds real good for Kansas.

Also, in a interview on KUsports.com, Omar Wilkes mentions that no one is ahead of Kansas right now.

Looks very postive very postive.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Predictions on some Kansas recruits

Already signed, signed with another program, or recruits right now.

Shannon Brown-He will go to Michigan State and be a instant starter. I think he will have a Joe Forte type career and leave MSU after his Freshman or Sophomore year.

Kris Humphries-He will go to Duke and sit on the bench his first year. I got a feeling he will be another wasted All-American at Duke.

Leon Powe-I think he will be a one-year player at Cal. He will be another Cal player who leaves and Cal gets nothing out of it.

Brian Butch-I think he will committ to Wisconsin at the end of October. I will be surprised if he committs any earlier and goes to a school other then Wisconsin. He will a dominating player for Wisconsin right away. I think he will be a very affective player in college.

Thomas Gardner-I think he will committ to Missouri next month. I think Quin will pursue him and I will explain in a bit why he doesn't choose Kansas. I think he can be a very pesky player against us if he goes to Mizzou. A lot like Clarence Gilbert.

Keith Wooden-I think within the next month, he will committ to Arizona State. At first I thought he would attend Kansas, but the more I hear about him. He seems to be more and more Arizona State bound.

Ronnie Brewer-Just like Wooden, I thought he would be destined for Arkansas. But the more I hear of him, I think he will choose us. I think he will develope a decent outside shot but he will around 6-8 or 6-9 when he comes to Kansas.

Omar Wilkes-I got a feeling he committs to us within the next 3 weeks. He has said that Kansas is at the top of the list and the visit by his family I think might have put them over the top. And when Omar committs, I got a feeling it will turn Thomas Gardner away from Kansas.

David Padgett-I think he will wait to committ till after his visit to UNC and if he visits Oregon. But I think once he hears Wilkes committs to Kansas, I don't think it will take long for Padgett to committ to Kansas.

Jeremy Case- He will continue to have a bit of a inconsistent season this year. He will still have KU fans have mixed emotions about him. But he comes to Kansas and has a Ryan Robertson type career.

J.R. Giddens- Will amaze people with his leaping ability and jump up the list of top 100 seniors finishing his senior year top 30. He will come to KU 6-6 or 6-7 and be a Diaper Dandy. He will be a hell of a player. Close to Douple P's career but not as good. Will be a huge NBA prospect when he leaves Kansas.

Our 2003 class
Jeremy Case
J.R. Giddens
Ronnie Brewer
David Padgett
Omar Wilkes

Darnell Jackson-I hear he is very, very good friends with J.R. Giddens and Jeremy Case. I also have heard he is a big Kansas fan. People say Duke is recruiting him, but I think even this early, he is KU bound. I say, Roy get it over with and offer this kid a scholarship. Don't wait!!!

Just my predictions on what will happen. I'm sure I have missed a couple of players but these were the recruits I now the most about.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Re: Predictions on some Kansas recruits

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>
Shannon Brown-He will go to Michigan State and be a instant starter. I think he will have a Joe Forte type career and leave MSU after his Freshman or Sophomore year.
Great comparision. Brown will have an open door to be a top player for the Spartans. Hopefully he won't have a Kelvin Torbert type of showing.

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>Kris Humphries-He will go to Duke and sit on the bench his first year. I got a feeling he will be another wasted All-American at Duke.
Why do you think that? The depth perhaps at that position?

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>Keith Wooden-I think within the next month, he will committ to Arizona State. At first I thought he would attend Kansas, but the more I hear about him. He seems to be more and more Arizona State bound.
Don't be disappointed if he goes to ASU. No offense but I'd go to ASU for it's campus life over Kansas. ;) But Wooden hasn't really struck me as a Kansas player though. He'd be better off in the PAC-10.

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>Ronnie Brewer-Just like Wooden, I thought he would be destined for Arkansas. But the more I hear of him, I think he will choose us. I think he will develope a decent outside shot but he will around 6-8 or 6-9 when he comes to Kansas.
To me, this would be one of the bigger recruits out of the bunch. I know for a fact that Brewer is really close to Arkansas still. Getting him away from the Hogs would be huge. Not only that, he'd make a good teammate to Giddens.

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>David Padgett-I think he will wait to committ till after his visit to UNC and if he visits Oregon. But I think once he hears Wilkes committs to Kansas, I don't think it will take long for Padgett to committ to Kansas.
This is another key recruit. Roy always gets quality big men. Plus Padgett is a super target for UNC. I'd have to think Padgett or Butch is going to be a Jayhawk.

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>Jeremy Case- He will continue to have a bit of a inconsistent season this year. He will still have KU fans have mixed emotions about him. But he comes to Kansas and has a Ryan Robertson type career.
I will always ask why? No way will he have a Ryan Robertson career. Robertson was actually good. :D

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>J.R. Giddens- Will amaze people with his leaping ability and jump up the list of top 100 seniors finishing his senior year top 30. He will come to KU 6-6 or 6-7 and be a Diaper Dandy. He will be a hell of a player. Close to Douple P's career but not as good. Will be a huge NBA prospect when he leaves Kansas.
I hope Giddens gets all of the attention he deserves. Good kid and great player.

Originally posted by <b>Big_CKansas</b>Darnell Jackson-I hear he is very, very good friends with J.R. Giddens and Jeremy Case. I also have heard he is a big Kansas fan. People say Duke is recruiting him, but I think even this early, he is KU bound. I say, Roy get it over with and offer this kid a scholarship. Don't wait!!!
Duke isn't interested in him...right now. But still, he is a good player. I'd be interested to know how he does during the school year.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just merge a couple threads since both of them are very similar.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Marcus Dove is expected to committ

Marcus Dove is expected to committ to Kansas in his visit to Kansas in September. ESPN originally reported it.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was about to ask someone about that before I left on Sat morning.

Who is he? I never heard of his name before.

·
Registered
586 Posts
An new update

Roy Williams had his In-Home visit with Padgett this past Sunday.
A lot of insiders believe it will come down to Stanford and Kansas.

Ronnie Brewer seems to be down to Oklahoma and Kansas. But in some commnts about his recuiting, he seem sto be speaking more highly of Kansas then OU. He will also have his official visit on Late-night.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Go ahead and get all the recruits you want. No one you get will be able to stop MU's incoming(hopefully) class of Ousmane Konate, Luol Deng, Thomas Gardner, and Spencer Laurie!!! And then the next year we'll get Kalen Grimes, Steven Hill, Brandon Rush, and Dwayne Polk(or some other point guard, I listed him just because he's from St. Louis). Seriously, how will anybody be able to compete with this lineup in two years??

1-Jimmy McKinney, Spencer Laurie, Dwayne Polk
2-Thomas Gardner, Luol Deng/McKinny/Laurie
3-Luol Deng, Najeeb Echols, Brandon Rush
4-Jeffrey Ferguson, Ousmane Konate, Jeeb
5-Kalen Grimes, Kevin Young, Steven Hill

Ok, well maybe it won't turn out that good, but I hope it will. Honestly, I can't think of a better way for our recruiting over the next two years to play out, except maybe getting a better point than Polk, but I don't know who's in that class who's interested in MU right now. All the other players are reasonable to assume that MU will be strong players with.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I doubt Deng chooses Mizzou

Duke seems to be way ahead on him then any other team.

Another update,

In a premium article, Omar Wilkes told the interviewer that he was tempted to committ to Kansas, on Rot Williams in-home visit, several time.

He just feels he needs to give other programs a shot. It sounds very good.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Duke seems to be way ahead? According to who? All the articles say Mizzou and Duke are the two teams in the lead, and Deng keeps saying how much he loves Snyder and his system. Plus Duke already has Humphrey and may get Ebi, and already have Shavlik and Sheldon Williams. All those guys play the 3-4 positions.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Padgett and Wilkes cut Stanford of situation!

David Padgett and Omar Wilkes have cut Stanford out of the equation.

There is one report saying UNC and Kansas are the final 2 for Padgett. Another saying Kansas and Arizona are the final 2. So who knows!

Omar is down to UCLA and Kansas. Cal has been cut out as well.

Of UCLA, UNC, Arizona, and Kansas; Kansas is the only one recruiting the two.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts