·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kansas Allum

Here is my prediction on how our recruiting class will go

J.R. Giddens-Committed already

Jeremy Case-Committed Already

David Padgett-He seems to be a great shot for Kansas. Arizona seems to be falling out of it. Stanford appears to be our only real competition for him. And they are major competitors.

Omar Wilkes-I believe he will committ before Padgett then that will lead David to committing after him. Roy will get another packaged deal. (Like Lee and Miles)

Keith Wooden-Kansas' interest is growing day by day. But Iowa State has offered him and Mizzou and Kentucky seem to be falling a bit.

Other possibility-Shannon Brown, Thomas Gardner

2003/2004 Line-up

PG-Aaron Miles/ Jeff Hawkins/ Jeremy Case/ Michael Lee
SG-Keith Langford/ Omar Wilkes/ J.R. Giddens/ Jeremy Case
WF-J.R. Giddens/ Keith Wooden/ Omar Wilkes/ Bryant Nash
PF-Wayne Simien/ Jeff Graves/ Keith Wooden
C- David Padgett/ Jeff Graves/ Moulay Niang

Very Deep!!!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
As a Tiger fan I feel obligated to reply

That looks like a pretty good class and would probably be around the 5th best in the country. But, since I'm a Tiger fan and not a KU fan I will talk about MU recruits instead.

First of all, I'm starting to feel unsure about Olu Famutimi. Memphis has recently got involved, which means Calipari's got involved, which means Olu may be headed to Memphis. I won't say anything about Calipari, but I think we've all heard the rumors. That doesn't mean I think Memphis is the leader, but MU has some more competition. If I had to guess right now I would still say Olu will go to MU. If Olu does decide to go somewhere else and something goes wrong with Loul Deng and Duke then I expect him to end up at MU. That's a big if though it seems.

After Olu it gets kind of cloudy. I don't really know who MU is after the hardest, because it seems like they're after a lot of people. But I know who I would want them to be after. If we sign Olu we'll be fine for wing players in that class. We need a pointguard, and the guy I like the most right now is Pooh Day from KC.

We also would need a post player, and I think it will end up being one of two players, either Malick Bidiane or Ousmane Konate, both natives of Senegal in Africa. Bidiane may go pro without going to college, and if that's the case I think Konate will go to MU. If Bidiane does go to college MU could sign both of them. Another option would be to go with one of them and fill the fourth scholarship with a juco player to help balance out the number of scholarships in each class, which Snyder wants to do. The most likely situation is for Bidiane to enter the draft, Konate to go to MU, and for the fourth scholarship to be filled with a junior college player on the wing, or maybe in the post.

So, our 2003/2004 lineup will look like this(and I'm assuming Paulding stays):

1-Clemons
2-McKinney
3-Paulding
4-Bryant
5-Johnson

Both Day and McKinney will get time at the point when Clemons isn't in the game, but since Day would be a freshman, McKinney a sophomore and Clemons a senior then Day will get the least amount of time in most games. McKinney starts at the 2 but when he's not in it will be Olu's spot, and after him most likely Kroenke. At the 3 Paulding is the obvious starter, and would be backed up by Najeeb Echols and Olu some as well. At the 4 and 5 Bryant and Johnson start and will be backed up by Jeffrey Ferguson, Kevin Young, and Ousmane Kanate. Overall this should be a very deep team with a lot of seniors. If there is a team who would be more heavily favored in the preseason to win it all I'd like to see their lineup, because it would have to be good.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
First all it is kansasalumn, but I don't care what you call me since you are a KU fan too.

However you forgot two players for the lineup. Roy Williams had said there are two walk-ons. One is a guard named Vinson. The other one is Jeff Graves brother Robby Graves who was a former guard for UMKC.

Thanks for the update. I think we have a good chance on Padgett and Wooden. Never heard of Wikes.

That lineup looks great.

What do you think about this upcoming season?

PG-Miles/Hawkins/Hinrich/Lee
SG-Hinrich/Lee/Langford/Vinson/Miles/Hawkins
SF-Langford/Nash/Hinrich/Vinson/Possible Walkon
PF-Simen/Graves/Niang/Nash/Possible walkon
PF-Collison/Simen/Graves/Niang/possible walk on

Not very deep teamnext season, but still should be a very good team.

I just got a new DVD, it is the 2001-2002 hightlights DVD. Not yet watch it, but it should be a fun DVD to watch.

Thanks MoTIGS about your update. I think the thread was mostly directed to Kansas Recruiting.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Walk ons don't play much

There's no reason to list them in the lineup. Walk ons are basically on the team for practice situations and in case of an emergancy. No one plays their walk ons when they've got scholarship players who can play. I believe that there is some rule about how much a player can play and still be considered a walkon, but I'm not sure. If they were really that good they'd be on scholarship somewhere.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know I always miss spell it. Sorry!!!

Omar Wilkes is great friends with David Padgett, they attend the same school, and both have said they would love to play togethor at the same College. Moody and Vinson won't get much PT. I just put down the scholarship players.

Again sorry about the name things. I noticed I missed spelled it when I looked at it again.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Re: Yeah I know I always miss spell it. Sorry!!!

Originally posted by Big_CKansas
Omar Wilkes is great friends with David Padgett, they attend the same school, and both have said they would love to play togethor at the same College. Moody and Vinson won't get much PT. I just put down the scholarship players.

Again sorry about the name things. I noticed I missed spelled it when I looked at it again.

No biggie if you misspelled it or not. We have been talking on the same boards for a long time.

I forgot what e-mail I used on phog.net becasue I lost my user name and password.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Re: Walk ons don't play much

Originally posted by moTIGS
There's no reason to list them in the lineup. Walk ons are basically on the team for practice situations and in case of an emergancy. No one plays their walk ons when they've got scholarship players who can play. I believe that there is some rule about how much a player can play and still be considered a walkon, but I'm not sure. If they were really that good they'd be on scholarship somewhere.
If there is a rule of playing time, then UCLA broke that rule. I beleived they had a player who is a walkon that played more time than scholarships. At KU, there always has been a player that plays like 10-20 minutes a game who is a walk on. Aka the past two with Brett Ballard. Befrore that Terry Nooner player quite a feew minutes. Look at DUKE, they have a walk on for fone year before he get his scholoarship, and I bet he will play more than 15 min a game. Vinson I heard is very good,. He got offers to play at other schools aka UMKC, Davidson, Okalahoma, KSU, and otehrs. He is fromt eh state, and he can afford school with in school tution. He can get a scholarship if he plays well. That is very riductluy to have a rule of time for walk-ons.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The rule for walkons

I'm not sure what it is, but I KNOW that there is some rule about how good a player can be and still walk on. It is used to prevent teams from getting the 15 best players in the country and have some of them be "walk ons," if you know what I mean. Just because a school recruited a player doesn't mean he's good enough to play there though. Oklahoma being interested and Oklahoma giving him a scholarship offer is a lot different.

And in case you were wondering, MU received their first verbal today, from Ousmane Konate.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
I am not saying there is no rule. I am just saying that walk ons can contribute in a large way, and could be the difference maker.

Congrats on your first verbal

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
What does it say about your program if

walk ons are difference makers? I guess they could be, but if you have to rely on walk ons to play then you seriously lack depth. A team can have as many as 13 scholarship players, so if you've got walkons that are playing it means your coach needs to step up his recruiting and sign some players who are good enough to get minutes ahead of the walk ons.

About Konate, he's the #37 player in his class per espn.com. He didn't play last season in high school because he went back to Senegal, I guess for a visit or something, and couldn't get back into the country after 9/11. He's 6'8" and 225. He was ranked in the top 20 players in the Nike camp a year ago even though he had just turned 16.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts