Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flat-out domination. Kansas was never in this game. Credit that to Gallagher-Iba, Kansas coming out flat, or OSU starting out 9-10 from the field. Doesn't matter. OSU proved they are flat-out better than KU as well as the best team in the conference.

Eddie Sutton = Big XII Coach of the Year. I swear, why so many people rate OSU so low in the preseason year after year only to see the Cowboys climb the ranks and earn a decent (or better) seed each year has got to show something of this man's ability. The guy can piece together a team like no other. Major props to the old grinch.

Kansas is probably looking at a 3rd place finish in conference, which kind of sucks for us spoiled KU fans. But them's the facts. We lack a lot of things necessary in an elite team. KU is also probably looking at a 4-6 seed in the Big Dance, which I have no problem with. I just hope we can quit resting on our laurels (*cough*Texas Tech*cough*) and continue to learn the offense, which we have obviously not mastered yet.

MAJOR props to OSU. Helluva game, helluva performance, helluva game plan, awesome execution. Win the Big XII -- you deserve it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Vega. I feel like we deserve it too. After the plane crash our program has been kinda teetering around about top 30-40. Some of our fans were calling out Eddie and his age and that he can't relate/recruit anymore. Some of our fans were pretty upset and the way things have gone the last three years it is understandable.

We haven't won a Big12 title. We have been a top 3-5 team most every year, but thanks to Texas, KU, MU, et. al. being so so good we couldn't get over the hump.

Thanks to Collison, Hinrich, TJ and Hollis and others going away to the NBA this season is wide open and the Cowboys seem poised to take the crown.

We have some tough games to go, but right now I feel really good. It's nice to see our program beginning to recover from the horrendous incident the occoured over a lonely field on the way back from Colorado.

Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, seriously, OSU is legit. You guys got a hell of a team. And who in the hell would call out Eddie Sutton? SERIOUSLY? His son...yeah, there's some misgivings. But Eddie? The man's a legend.

Best of luck the rest of the year. You guys beat the hell out of my team tonight, but that doesn't diminish ONE BIT the fact that I respect the hell out of the way you played tonight. Balls to the wall, disciplined, fearless, as a team. That's what makes college hoops fun as hell to watch. And OSU exemplified that tonight. Keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seriously. I'm telling you. There was a pretty vocal minority on our boards this year that felt that Sutton was winding down and that he couldn't recruit anymore. Even some question his style of play. But after the pathetic offensive units weve had on the floor the last couple of years they had enough argument to make people wonder.

When Maurice Bakker went down for us after our victory in Texas two years ago it hasn't been pretty bball wise in Stillwater.

This season for the Cowboys should make the Big 12 as whole stronger. While the top teams reload, we have a chance to get a Big 12 championship and impress some recruits so that maybe they wont go out of state like Giddens. Damn. Damn. Damn. He looked impresive at times tonight.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can guarantee that a lot of recruits -- especially those in the midwest -- were watching this game tonight. And I can guarantee that OSU made some serious headway in their recruitment of them. You guys stepped it up.

As for Giddens, I STILL think he'll be the best player on the floor for Kansas next year. He's still pretty robotic and needs to put the ball on the floor a lot more, but he's obviously got the skills to do so. Get him a year training in the offseason plus conditioning and strength training plus scrimmages with all the KU folk past and present, and he could really turn into something special. Everyone knows by now he's got the outside shooting to merit some serious defensive attention, but IMO that's just one part of what he brings to the table. He just needs more time and coaching.

As for the Pokes, I read all about the Graham twins when they committed to OSU. And immediately I knew they'd probably make an impact. But I had no clue they would be so good (at least Joey). Talk about athleticism and power.......wow. What a great showing tonight. And Allen continues to impress. He kind of faded at the end of last season, but he has more than enough talent to make a major splash in this league. What he did tonight was nothing I didn't realize he could do. He's good.

Best of luck to your Pokes the rest of the way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks V. Can't wait to see what Stevie can do next year. He's had to take a back seat to Tony this year and that's just too bad, becuase from what I hear he just as good a Joey. Anyway, it's nice to talk to someone from another school who is just as informed about my school as I am. Gotta say, I'm impressed. I haven't watched KU but a couple of time this season so I can't comment about your team much.

With Bill Self as your coach and awesome fans that I've seen on this board, I've no problem rooting for ya'll come tournement time. KU = Class of college basketball.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that works out pretty damned good then. I'm not trying to get all hokey-pokey with you, but I've always been a fan of OSU under Sutton. Class coach, class program, endured some hard times and came out with guns blazing. Eddie running over to shake Hinrich and Collison's hands last year was just awesome. It's not like he made a half-assed effort to get over there or like he was trying to milk the TV ratings.......he had a genuine interest in congratulating a couple of guys that love and played the game like it was supposed to be played. A lot of fans immediately vaulted Sutton as one of their favorite coaches after that, but I had already known he was a class act, and he did nothing I didn't expect.

Great coach, great program, and hey, did you read my Paul Pierce story in this forum? Funny stuff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I read the Paul Pierce story. Pretty damn funny. I was telling my wife about that. She didn't know who he was.

If you can tell from my handle I'm a Mavs fan as well as a Cowboy fan. (How I deal with the completly different styles of play is another subject entirely).

But on every NBA message board I read I see the Pierce/Dirk thread. What's up with that. To completley different players, yet I always see them compared against each other.

I've got big respect for Peirce especially after the stabbing incident. And I alway root for Big12 players. Wish Big Country would have been less interested in fishing up in Canada. Ostertag has managed to find his place in the league and is settling into a nice carreer at Utah. Wish my Mavs could get ahold of him.

Hinrich looks like a solid PG rookie. He will surprise a bunch of NBA fans. Haven't seen Collison at all this year. How's he doing???

On a side note. Who's Padgett? Didn't he play for Kentucky a few years ago. I guess I'm showing my stupidity, but where did you get him?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Collison tore his shoulder before the season even started, but he's chillin with the Sonics. He should see major time next year because they are horrendous up front.

Scott Padgett is our David Padgett's older brother. I think he plays for Utah now.

And dude, I agree that Giddens will be great, but I think he should develop some better handles before he makes a point of dribbling. Did you see him get stripped at halfcourt? That was Jimmy McKinney style.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I've been following the Sonics since DMase went their. They need some serious help inside. I'll keep and eye out for Collison. He could take them to the next level next year. All they need is a big man. Took my Mavs down to the wire this year and have been just outside making some noise in the unbelievably competive west this year.

Thanks for the info on Padgett. That was bugging me all night. I knew he had to be related to Scott.

I'll be rooting for Giddens, but when he steps inside GIA, he's gonna get it from our fans every time. Just like Bookout at OU. I wish the best, but at the same time want to let them know what they missed out on.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Um, David Padgett is not related to Scott Padgett.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It happens, and I'm drunk. Also, I have class in 8 hours. Later.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ill subliminal</b>!

Let's just pretend this never happened.
I can't. That is too funny.

But anywa.

KU Turnovers

OU on fire when comes to shooting.

Those two things cost KU the win

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
i have never seen a worse performance by an elite team that Kansas showed last night, i had to turn it off, that was just plain ugly.

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
Why would you doubt Eddie Sutton? He runs a clean program. ONE of these years he will get to the big game (title game) YEs is he old? Yeah, but he knows so much about the game.

If he gets run out of OkieState, I will never like them again. And I have sat in on OKIE state press confrences, he is so great.

As for KU. oh well, one bad loss isn't bad, try being SU 3 in a row bad losses, and an idiot pg.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I knew this was comming. I predicted OSU by 15 on my prediciton. I guess you have to get your butts handed to you before you realize how good OSU is. By the way. How freakin good would baylor be this year with JL 3 and Lawrence roberts, Denehy, and the cast they have now.. Holy smokes.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>BrYaNBaIlEy06</b>!
i have never seen a worse performance by an elite team that Kansas showed last night, i had to turn it off, that was just plain ugly.
You haven't watched hoops for very long then. While last night was horrible from a Kansas perspective, I can name ten blowouts of elite teams in the last couple years that were worse than that off the top of my head.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, this is part of the nature of college hoops. Texas Tech blows out Oklahoma St. by 20 points, then Kansas blows out Texas Tech by 20 points. Now OSU blows out Kansas by 20 points.

The one correlation? All wins were at home.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

You haven't watched hoops for very long then. While last night was horrible from a Kansas perspective, I can name ten blowouts of elite teams in the last couple years that were worse than that off the top of my head.

I didn't say nothin' about a blowout, I was just basing it on how Kansas played, and yes your right, I have not watched College Basketball for very long, i've only been around for 16 years. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts