Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****ing awesome.

For those of you who missed it, I am sure YouTube will have it later.

It ends with a photo for all those attended who played in the NBA. I can't tell you how many HOFers are going to be in that picture, because I lost count.

Here are just a few:

KAJ, Dr. J, Bill Walton, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Bill Sharman, Stu Lantz, Norm Nixon, Kurt Rambis, A.C. Green, Mitch Kupchak, James Worthy, Magic Johnson, and on and on.

I will post a YouTube video once it uploads.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Re: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Statute Ceremony

I watched it very entertaining, happy for Kareem he was ecstatic the whole time shame he had to bring attention to the issue to speed up the process.

Was Jordan there? I saw a photo with a guy that looked like him from the angle, but could've been a bunch of other guys.
I don't think Jordan was there.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

Planned on attending live but had to put out a fire at work.

Confused by Ron... Norm Nixon, AC, Mitch, Stu and Kurt are HOFers?

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

he didnt have to - it was already on the list - he just bitched about how long it was taking because he can be kind of a prick (we already did this)

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts

What the new Kareem Statute?

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

I wasn't here for that. Well, whatever. Kind of tainted the process a bit, though I know I'm being finicky.
all the staples tenents can add names to the list - the statues and property are not the lakers doing - AEG does them, they own staples - Kareem's name was on the lakers list but behind Logo, Magic and Chick and I dont think that's wrong

meanwhile AEG decides when the statues go up and in what order (Luc Robataille is next apparently)

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

all the staples tenents can add names to the list - the statues and property are not the lakers doing - AEG does them, they own staples - Kareem's name was on the lakers list but behind Logo, Magic and Chick and I dont think that's wrong

meanwhile AEG decides when the statues go up and in what order (Luc Robataille is next apparently)
Possibly, don't know but he most certainly should be.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
I was there live today. It was very cool except for the dumbass Lakers fans standing next to me who were trying their best to ruin the ceremony by being EXTREMELY disrespectful to every speaker. "Fans" my ass.

The statue is awesome. I was actually one of the very first fans that was allowed to take a picture with it after the game ended. I couldn't hear much of the speeches because 1) the volume from the mic was very low or the speakers just weren't speaking up and 2) the aforementioned dumbass fans.

Well deserved for Cap, though. They also have an exhibit for him at Staples Center right now that's open for the next 6 weeks if you're ever at a game (though I wasn't able to look at it tonight).

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How were they being disrespectful, what were they doing? Doesn't sound like they were true fans if they were being disrespectful to speakers who mostly represented former Laker players.

Nothing came through on TV, anyway.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is just a small blip, not the full ceremony, obviously, which lasted over an hour.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
How were they being disrespectful, what were they doing? Doesn't sound like they were true fans if they were being disrespectful to speakers who mostly represented former Laker players.

Nothing came through on TV, anyway.
Fans yelling at the speakers to raise their voices (if everyone shut up, you'd be able to hear them although it did sound like they were speaking in low voices). When Tim Lieweke of AEG was speaking, nobody cared and people started chanting "We Want Kareem". Same thing happened when Dr. Richard Lapchik spoke. When Eddie Doucet spoke, he spoke for a really long time (more than everyone else) and nobody knew or cared who he was and people were just cracking jokes, yelling at him to hurry up. I barely heard any of what the "unknown" guys were saying because everyone was so vocal and wanted to hear Kareem speak. When Magic and Worthy got up, it was better. I don't remember exactly what people were yelling out, but everyone immediately around me was very annoyed.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fans yelling at the speakers to raise their voices (if everyone shut up, you'd be able to hear them although it did sound like they were speaking in low voices). When Tim Lieweke of AEG was speaking, nobody cared and people started chanting "We Want Kareem". Same thing happened when Dr. Richard Lapchik spoke. When Eddie Doucet spoke, he spoke for a really long time (more than everyone else) and nobody knew or cared who he was and people were just cracking jokes, yelling at him to hurry up. I barely heard any of what the "unknown" guys were saying because everyone was so vocal and wanted to hear Kareem speak. When Magic and Worthy got up, it was better. I don't remember exactly what people were yelling out, but everyone immediately around me was very annoyed.
****ing morons. Wonder what they were doing there anyway. Probably three sheets to the wind already (****ing drunks). I hate ****ing drunks. I had to tell a couple of real a-holes at an Angel game to knock it off and they wanted to pick a fight with me.

Typical. Too much beer, too little brains, and the morons revert to animal behavior. No, that is an insult to animals.

The presentation came off great on TV. Too bad you had to experience that behavior. It just ruins it for everyone else.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Honestly, it just goes to show how stupid our fan base is. I love the Lakers but I'd say I hate the majority of our fans.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
if there were a venn diagram showing the overlap between Lakers fans and Raiders fans you'd get a pretty decent slice of the ignoramuses you're talking about

1 - 19 of 19 Posts