Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"[Rush] not only has to learn the triangle offense, but he has to learn the triangle's toughest position," Laker assistant coach Kurt Rambis said, referring to guard. "But every time I see him shoot, it looks as though it's going to go in the basket."

Rush impressed Rambis and Laker management at the Summer Pro League in Long Beach.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/la-sp-rush20jul20012059.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba

This is encouraging news for me. I like the "But every time I see him shoot, it looks as though it's going to go in the basket" quote. I never really got to see him play last year, but always liked his brother when he was at UCLA.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I don't remember seeing him play either. needless to say I can't wait to see him play in a live NBA game. Thanks for that link.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
eventually the lakers line-up should look like this:

g kobe
g kareem rush
c shaq
f devean george
f (insert ruthless rebouder here)

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Neither Kobe or Rush play PG.:no: They're both too tall, and would either play SG or SF.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by The X Factor
Neither Kobe or Rush play PG.:no: They're both too tall, and would either play SG or SF.
Height has nothing to do with playing PG. If you have ball-handling skills and you can run the offense, then you can play point....

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
I just knew that someone was going to say that. I just knew it.

Kobe and Kareem aren't fast enough to play against guys like Tony Parker or Mike Bibby for a full 48 minutes. They are SG or SF.

Can you really ever see Kobe or Rush playing PG? Phil Jackson wants to move Kobe to be a SF, that's the complete opposite direction of a PG.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I just knew that someone was going to say that. I just knew it.

Kobe and Kareem aren't fast enough to play against guys like Tony Parker or Mike Bibby for a full 48 minutes. They are SG or SF.

Can you really ever see Kobe or Rush playing PG? Phil Jackson wants to move Kobe to be a SF, that's the complete opposite direction of a PG.
That is besides the point. You can't be too tall to play the PG position. I think Kobe could be effective guarding PG's for a long stretch of time, if he worked hard and conditioned himself to do so. That's all...

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Kobe isn't a PG, he won't play PG, and he doesn't want to play PG.

He is a scorer. PG can score, but Kobe Bryant is much more effective as a SG or SF.

The Lakers don't want him as their PG, they have a great one in Derek Fisher, who still has a long career left.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Kobe isn't a PG, he won't play PG, and he doesn't want to play PG.

He is a scorer. PG can score, but Kobe Bryant is much more effective as a SG or SF.

The Lakers don't want him as their PG, they have a great one in Derek Fisher, who still has a long career left.
Yeah, that's fine. The question was whether or not he could play PG. Not if the the coaching staff wanted him to or not...

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Well, if you're asking if he could, then my response would be maybe. It depends on whether he could guard the quick PG throughout the entire time he's on the court.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Kobe could and should play point

Hell, the offense runs through him anyway, and he played great defense on Bibby most of the time. He wouldn't be guarding Bibby or whoever the other point was all the time, he'd probably guard them for about 20-25 minutes a game. Fisher would get plenty of time at the point, and Rush won't be playing a whole lot for a few years. From what I understand about the triangle it doesn't need a true point to run it anyway.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
What's the point of starting Kobe Bryant at PG, when you have a great established PG in Derek Fisher? Kobe only guarded Bibby for about 20 minutes in that game in the WCF. He couldn't guard him the whole game. He'd collapse.

Kobe won't play PG, no one was ever talking about Kobe playing PG until this thread came up. He will not play PG, you can wish and wonder as much as you'd like, but Kobe Bryant will not start for the Los Angeles Lakers at PG. Bottom line.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
the reason i put both bryant and rush in the backcourt is in phil jackson's triangle he doesn't like little guards. look at some of his past starting "point" guards: ron harper, john paxson, bj armstrong...not exactly blazing fast. kobe handles the ball most of the time anyway so rush would just need to help bring up the ball and hit open jumpers. in the only thing i read with phil jackson talking about rush he was comapring him to harper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Too tall to play PG?
How about Magic Johnson?
6'9" ring a bell?
He seemed to work out pretty well ;)
Ability to create shots for team-mates, passing, ballhandling and penetrating the defense matter.
If anything, height would give an advantage, as long as he's not too slow, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Somebody shoot me, I think I just agreed with KC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
magic is not a legit 6'9, he is more like 6'7, but that's beside the point. the point is that if a player has the skill to play point, then give or take a few inches won't matter.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]
Too tall to play PG?
How about Magic Johnson?
6'9" ring a bell?
He seemed to work out pretty well ;)
Ability to create shots for team-mates, passing, ballhandling and penetrating the defense matter.
If anything, height would give an advantage, as long as he's not too slow, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Somebody shoot me, I think I just agreed with KC.
Was Magic a true PG? Yes.

Is Kobe a true PG? No.

I rest my case.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Could Kobe play the point? Sure.
Does he occasionally play that position? Yes.
But this is off the topic.

Let's get back to the discussion about Kareem Rush. He and Kobe in the backcourt? That could be difficult. Granted they are both going to have a hard time defending the quicker smaller guards, but I doubt that PJ would use this lineup against the teams with smaller guards. It's all about matchups for him. Sometimes it's going to work to a great advantage for the Lakers and sometimes it isn't.

Peace.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Was Magic a true PG? Yes.

Is Kobe a true PG? No.

I rest my case.
I don't think I even used the word kobe.
I simply stated the Magic did pretty well at the PG for a "big" man.
Go rest your case elsewhere.

read.comprehend.post.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Don't attack me for stating the truth. Attack someone elsewhere please.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What started out as a disussion of Rush turned into who said what? Let's get back to basketball. This one's done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.