Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Mark Stein at espn

While I'm not a big fan of his, I did like to read this
"Carmelo has gotten a lot of hype, a lot of prestige, a lot of elite status around the country," Karl said during a recent "Pardon The Interruption" visit. "I want him to understand that he's going to get more of that if the Denver Nuggets win, and put that on his priority list. And then the second thing I think we've got to do is get him to do is become a leader of this team."

The latter project's going well, Karl insists.

"I just see him listening a lot," Karl said. "Not only to me, but he's listening to the team a little better. And for him to be the leader he's got to do that.

"The comment I've actually said [to Anthony] is, 'Don't shoot my team with your shot selection.' ... We've just told him we want him to shoot the ball a lot, but we want it to be within the team [structure]. ... But I'll be honest with you. He listens. He's been attentive."

This was tacked on at the bottom of the ramblings
Props to Denver's Marcus Camby, and not just for his big numbers (12.9 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.4 bpg) in 10 games this month, during which the Nuggets are 9-1. Back in January, even before Furious George took over, this is what Camby told me: "We still feel like we can make a run like Phoenix and Seattle did in the first part of the season. Our run is coming."
I'm predicting that Melo will average over 5 APG next season after Karl has a whole summer and camp to work with him.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I don't know how likely it is, but I certainly hope you're right. If Anthony could average 4 apg, let alone 5, it would be a huge sign that he's evolving into the kind of player who can really lead a team.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Ahh, finally Melo. He still has a nerratic game every once in awhile, but for the most part, he looks like a different player under Karl than he did under Bzdelik. He's hit some big shots down the stretch. Lately it seems like he's been the one to spark the run to put the game away, or hit that one shot that finally seals it, the 'dagger' as every single basketball play-by-play guy says. There was about a 5 game stretch a couple weeks ago where I honestly felt he could post just about anyone up at the 3 or 4 spot, but I haven't seen as much of it lately. But he's been shooting the ball great (3's still need work though), and we're winning, so you can't ask for much more this season. He's finally overcome what's been holding him backthe most, he didn't like to listen. Now that George has started to straighten him out, I expect great things from Melo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts