Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the RMN

Karl was not as forgiving. After the Nuggets picked up a foul in the final seconds of the third quarter, he said to no one in particular, "Gifts. Gifts."

"It's the consistency of fouls," Karl said. "Nash gets touch fouls. We get hit hard and we don't get any foul. The topper was at 114-109. The clock's running down (with 2:34 left) and Nash gets a touch foul. And then we go in there and Carmelo bounces three or four times and it looks like he gets hit on every shot. And we don't get any call.

"We didn't lose the game because of the refereeing. We lost the game because we got beat by a team that's playing very well. But the consistency is frustrating."

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From the Post

While the Suns began pulling away, Karl began getting frustrated with the officiating. Phoenix had three fouls called against it in both the first and fourth quarters.

Adding to Karl's frustration was the belief Suns guard Steve Nash previously received a "touch foul" earlier in the fourth quarter. So after two missed and strongly contested putback attempts by Anthony resulted in no fouls with just less than a minute left, Karl was charged with a technical after complaining to referee Randy Mott about calls not being the same on both sides.

"They're just a great defensive team when they can play 24 minutes, the first quarter and fourth quarter, with one foul," Karl said sarcastically. "You can't beat a team that plays great defense like that. "

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Suns is the #1 team that committs the least number of fouls. Nuggets was playing at Sun's home court and Karl wants to be treated like a King. Whatever.

Karl is RIGHT... you guys lost not because of officiating so I don't know why he made this statement... :clown:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
jibikao said:
Suns is the #1 team that committs the least number of fouls. Nuggets was playing at Sun's home court and Karl wants to be treated like a King. Whatever.

Karl is RIGHT... you guys lost not because of officiating so I don't know why he made this statement... :clown:
To make a point. When the refs go back and watch the game, maybe they'll be listening to what Karl said, where it could be valid, and be more apt to be looking for it next time they ref a Nuggets game. That, and frustration. They did miss more than just that one series of possible calls on Melo's putback attempts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Kuskid said:
To make a point. When the refs go back and watch the game, maybe they'll be listening to what Karl said, where it could be valid, and be more apt to be looking for it next time they ref a Nuggets game. That, and frustration. They did miss more than just that one series of possible calls on Melo's putback attempts.
For every game, all three officials review the game tape and this tape also is used in evaluations. They use tape to also prepare themselves for their next game to officiate. Each official is issued a laptop computer where they are all quizzed on different situations that may occurr (a quiz). This doesn't make them perfect, but just illustrates the serious job they take on. I would say most officials are good at what they do and most games have relatively few bad calls (and sometimes a percieved missed call is actually a good non call that we just may not understand at the time). That is most. There are definite games that are out of control and definite officials I question that should remain employed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dez24 said:
For every game, all three officials review the game tape and this tape also is used in evaluations. They use tape to also prepare themselves for their next game to officiate. Each official is issued a laptop computer where they are all quizzed on different situations that may occurr (a quiz). This doesn't make them perfect, but just illustrates the serious job they take on. I would say most officials are good at what they do and most games have relatively few bad calls (and sometimes a percieved missed call is actually a good non call that we just may not understand at the time). That is most. There are definite games that are out of control and definite officials I question that should remain employed.
As noted, the NBA does try to have professionals for refs with their ongoing review/training. But, they are still human, and certain "stars" and teams seem to get preferential treatment. I would rather see them call it straight up on both ends of the court and let the players actually determine the outcome without any extra help.

Just a few quick examples:
When MJ was playing & he went down the lane, no one could actually guard him because they would be called for a foul if he ran over them.
Today, get too close to LeBron; you are called for a foul.
As for Shaq, the defense pretty much has to draw blood before he goes to the line. With the exception that when the refs know that the team intends to foul Shaq at the end of the game, I've seen the player tell the ref & Shaq he is going to foul & it still takes him hit Shaq 3 times before the foul is called.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts