Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
hmmmmmm
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey dude my little debate with HB about Roe V. Wade got me to thinking about how interesting the Judiciary branch of our government is. I have a few friends who geek over it a lot & I used to be somewhat interested. [I watched the Roberts & Alito hearings in their entirities.] But lately I've been slipping. So, I'm looking to find some cool books about SCOTUS, The Judiciary, and all that **** to read. You seem to be the most knowledgable on the subject so any reccs you can give me [current, historical, or even if they are just tangentially related] would be greatly appreciated.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Heheheh, as a serious research junkie, I can mention a slew of books - that I find interesting. I'll toss out a few that are less technical to start with.

Former Chief Justice Rehnquist's The Supreme Court is a short but easy read.

Urofsky and Finkelman's two volume A March of Liberty is excellent, and has an accompanying two volume documentary companion as well.

For an idea of the motivations of the revolutionary Founders, Richard B. Morris' Seven Who Shaped Our Destiny : The Founding Fathers As Revolutionaries is excellent, as is his Witnesses at the Creation: Hamilton, Madison, Jay, and the Constitution.

Jeffrey Toobin's The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court is a best-seller, but he has a bit of an agenda, and I disagree with some of his depictions and assertions.

I would strongly recommend going to the website of the Supreme Court Historical Society for obvious reasons. Their bibliography page and links should be invaluable.

In terms of tangents (this'll teach you for mentioning them :D), a few books that I've found to be most useful in various ways in studying American Legal History (for which I've won an academic excellence award, incidentally - the love I have for the material is somewhat returned), include Julius J. Marke's Vignettes of Legal History and its sequel, Justice Scalia's A Matter of Interpretation and the other essays appended in that book, and Alpheus Thomas Mason's Brandeis: A Free Man's Life.

I'd also strongly recommend getting a biography of Chief Justice Marshall, and Justice Story's Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, still a widely-used treatise. And, of course, The Federalist - with the Gideon Edition being the best one.

That's what pops into my head immediately, but if you want/need some more, I can give some more specific books as well. Hope it helps.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
And by the way, the legal worth of the Roe v. Wade opinion is negligible, as the argument is atrociously reasoned and otherwise not even close to being based on actual legal principles - no matter what it claims to be.

·
hmmmmmm
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot, ... really, though, just add to this list at your leisure. Perhaps I will report back on what I've read. Yeah, I'll do that. I just find it is better to get reccs from other human beings cuz they can give some context. I'm not really interested in anything specifically at the moment but if anything comes to mind I will let you know.

·
hmmmmmm
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And by the way, the legal worth of the Roe v. Wade opinion is negligible, as the argument is atrociously reasoned and otherwise not even close to being based on actual legal principles - no matter what it claims to be.
yeah I wasn't really trying to argue in favor of Roe v. Wade legally, ethically, or in any way really; more just trying to tackle what it is as an entity. I am severely under-informed in that department as well. But hey, threads are made for posting and that is what I'll do and one of these days these threads are gonna walk all over you.

·
hmmmmmm
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Have you read the commentary on my blog entry on the Second Amendment? There's some interesting legal history there too. :D
hmm i'm not sure if i have. your anti-vietnam wall blog made me so irate that i boycotted your blog for awhile. will check it out though. i tried to rep you, but alas i must spread some rep around.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
hmm i'm not sure if i have. your anti-vietnam wall blog made me so irate that i boycotted your blog for awhile. will check it out though. i tried to rep you, but alas i must spread some rep around.
Heheheh, I do like to cause controversy. My defining characteristic is that I'm contrary, after all. You can expiate your sin by reading the Second Amendment entry though. :D I even got a chance to jab at that :curse: anti-Semite Justice McReynolds...

·
hmmmmmm
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I just read the blog & the comments and that breakdown of the Miller ruling was pretty great and fascinating and just an interesting way of looking at American History and more or less exactly the reason I started this thread

·
hmmmmmm
5,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah i read the renquist book btw, pretty interesting history and explaining of how the court functions. the stuff about FDR was super interesting, about how he tried to change the Supreme Court

1 - 12 of 12 Posts