Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop
The Korver trade is via Minnesota into Atlanta's traded player exception, meaning Bulls get 2nd-round pick from Minny and save $500K.
A 2nd rounder.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Adios Korver. For someone that was supposed to be a pure shooter he was way too hot and cold. Never really worked out like we all thought it would but I wish him all the best in Atlanta.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Korver played pretty much to my expectations (and his career averages, roughly)... he just is what he is.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
From what I see, this is a 3-team trade. Nothing is official yet.

Chicago gets:
Kirk Hinrich
2nd round pick from Minnesota
$500,000 in freed up money (via us not having to pay it for not picking up his option)

Atlanta gets:
Kyle Korver

Minnesota gets:
Atlanta TPE

I don't see how this is entirely possible, unless it is two sequential trades that will just be announced together. Korver to Minny for a 2nd Rounder, then Korver to Atlanta for TPE. Would certainly lead credence to the other rumor I shared about Chicago trading Korver to Minny.

If true and we don't match Asik, we would have the full MLE to use. Courtney Lee or Mayo? Possibly, but I think the Tolliver/Redd route is more likely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My favorite part of watching Bulls games was my brother and I shouting "Pass me the hot sauce!' or "Gimme that hot Sauce Kyle Korver!". So I'll miss him for that reason alone, but not so much for his streaky shooting.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My favorite part of watching Bulls games was my brother and I shouting "Pass me the hot sauce!' or "Gimme that hot Sauce Kyle Korver!". So I'll miss him for that reason alone, but not so much for his streaky shooting.
:laugh:

Forgot about that, definitely going to miss yelling "hot sauce time!".

·
Remember My Name
5,229 Posts
as off now, the bulls have no offense?

they need people to create for themselve and shooters in the worst way.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
as off now, the bulls have no offense?

they need people to create for themselve and shooters in the worst way.
My projections.

C- Joakim Noah 10 ppg 9 rebs 50% fg.
PF- Carlos Boozer 16 ppg 9 rebs 50% fg
SF- Luol Deng 17 ppg 6 rebs 40% fg
SG- Rip Hamilton 12 ppg 4 rebs 42% fg
PG- Kirk Hinrich 11 ppg 5 ast 40% fg

Taj 9 and 7
Omer 7 and 7
Teague who knows but lets just say 10 and 4, that would probably considered a great year for him.

Thats 92 ppg if they all bumped up their scoring averages from last year. The Bulls would still be in the top 5 lowest scoring teams in the NBA.

Without Rose they will probably average a bit more points but there is no doubt that their FG%'s will plummet. This team will just look horrendous on offense, much like it did last year without Rose but now you are losing guys who could actually score off the bench. Luol Deng will shoot an atrocious FG% if hes our #1 option.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Sad to see Korver go, was always fun to see him hoist up shots with that quick and pure release. That said, I understand why we're cutting ties. He is on the wrong side of 30 and already has a hard time getting his shot off at times due to lack of speed. With the upcoming season likely being a formative year due to the Rose injury, it makes sense to cut ties in favor of making a more aggressive title run in '13-'14 and beyond. I think that is the concern with Ronnie Brewer as well, he is already losing athleticism which was his calling card in this league.

This is a nice move for the sole reason of preserving the MMLE by acquiring Hinrich in S&T, as opposed to signing out right. A draft pick and trade exception aren't bad sweeteners either, could come in handy for a future trade.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Can someone clarify a question on the Trade Exception.

Does that mean we can basically give as much salary as we want in a trade without taking equivalent salary back?

So, with a trade exception, could we sell Noah to someone just for a lotto pick in return, no expiring deal coming back (expiring the following season, as in a summer trade)? Which would allow us to then turn around and have cap room the same summer? I'd much rather sell Deng, but I'm just giving an example.

Does it mean we could just give Deng away for nothing to a team over the cap if there was a player we thought we could sign if we amnestied Boozer and gave Deng away?

·
Administrator
68,864 Posts
The trade exception can be used to acquire a player with salary up to 5 million or so, I believe. None of the hypothetical scenarios you mentioned have anything to do with how trade exceptions work.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Can someone clarify a question on the Trade Exception.

Does that mean we can basically give as much salary as we want in a trade without taking equivalent salary back?

So, with a trade exception, could we sell Noah to someone just for a lotto pick in return, no expiring deal coming back (expiring the following season, as in a summer trade)? Which would allow us to then turn around and have cap room the same summer? I'd much rather sell Deng, but I'm just giving an example.

Does it mean we could just give Deng away for nothing to a team over the cap if there was a player we thought we could sign if we amnestied Boozer and gave Deng away?
It allows tax paying to make trades above the cap. Using theoretical numbers, assume we signed Korver to increase our payroll by $5 million ato$70 million. We immediately shed that salary down to $65 million. We are allowed to take back up to the $70 million figure be it through trade (basically truing up the original commitment). Regular trade rules still apply, which is usually why you see these being used in multi player deals.

It gives us flexibility in taking on a bigger player (think consolidation trade), or acquiring a MLE type player in a S&T.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts