Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its nice that Herb has us competitive,but this team will always come up "short"....

You can not have a front line of the vertically challenged KT,lardy Sweetney and No D TT.....Not to mention,Malik Rose,Junkyard and MoT....There isnt one run/jump athlete in the group...

The backcourt...Starbury needs the ball,always has and always will.Its a bad pairing with JC,especially since they both sukk on D and have no one backing them up...

Draftday....We need to stay in the lottery and forget about the playoffs and get very lucky...Bogut would be immediate help,Andriukevicius is a project with huge upside and Marvin Williams is a stud..Unfortunately they will be gone by 6,with the possible exception of the russian...

If we dont move up and zeke opts for a super run jump athlete,Warrick is a possibility...

Free agency/trades....Chandler,Curry,Kwame Brown....It will probably cost us Sweetney as I think Ariza is untouchable and sweets is one of our 5 power fowards...unless Kwame comes for the MLE....

We desparately need to get more athletic upfront at the 4/5,or at a bare minimum establish a low post presense or find a guy who can be a disruptive force on the defensive end

Any thoughts?

·
A deserving All-Star
2,319 Posts
I wouldnt trade sweetney for kwame.

Reactions: Weasel

·
A deserving All-Star
2,319 Posts
However if we did find a way to get Marvin that would be a MAJOR steal for us

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the Wiz match offers for Kwame up to the MLE and Sweetney is probaby better than Kwame..

But we have 5 power fowards and the Knicks never call plays for Sweets.We need a 5

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Give Herb a full season to prove himself. Shop the expiring contracts (of 05-06) of Tim Thomas and Fredo Hardaway and couple them with Sweetney, Ariza, picks to find an impact player under the age of 28. If this is not possible then sit on the contracts and see if anyone wants them before the trading deadline in the 05-06 season.

If a deal cannot be made that adds a quality young player or potentially a high 1st round pick then just let the contracts expire. If the the 1st rounder isn't traded in a deal to acquire a young impact player then select for talent, not need. If the best player available is a point guard then select that point guard. I actually wouldn't mind seeing what Marbury could do playing a combo guard role. See who is available with the mid-level and offer them the full exception if warranted.

ONLY DEAL EXPIRING CONTRACTS/YOUNG PLAYERS/PICKS FOR BETTER YOUNG PLAYERS/PICKS. Using this process I think it will be possible to rebuild and make a run at the the 6th-8th seeds at the same time.

Reactions: Weasel

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MPK said:
Shop the expiring contracts (of 05-06) of Tim Thomas and Fredo Hardaway and couple them with Sweetney, Ariza, picks to find an impact player under the age of 28.
I think Ariza is untouchable..Hes 19 years old and will be our starting 2/3 in the next 2 years...!!!!!

The problem with the knicks is as long as you have marbury at the point,an impact player at the 1,2 or 3 wont help much...He needs to play the 2...

There is a reason why Seattle is as good as they are with the talent they have...They are no more talented than the knicks,but they play as a team and everyone knows their role...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
truth said:
I think Ariza is untouchable..Hes 19 years old and will be our starting 2/3 in the next 2 years...!!!!!

The problem with the knicks is as long as you have marbury at the point,an impact player at the 1,2 or 3 wont help much...He needs to play the 2...

There is a reason why Seattle is as good as they are with the talent they have...They are no more talented than the knicks,but they play as a team and everyone knows their role...
I more or less agree with hanging on to Ariza. He isn't untouchable, but it should take a very significant offer to move him...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
is there a player out there at the 1,2,or 3 that anyone thinks would make the knicks a serious team???

i dont think a Michael Redd would change things

i dont think kobe would do it either

I do think a jason kidd or steve nash would make a huge difference......

right now Crawford is lost and Sweetney doesnt get enough touches....

If you cant tell,I am very down on Starbury as our point guard..Dont get me wrong,hes great,but he is no where near the level of playmaker of a Nash,kidd or a stockton...And with this squad,thats what we need and marbury has proven he is not the guy...Any time a game gets close,Marbury demands the ball and goes one on one..Thats disruptive to a team

Its not much different than AI....AI does not make his players better..See Chris Webber..The only way AI got anywhere was with Mt Mutombo in his prime and the best coach in basketball,larry Brown....

I really hope Zeke wakes up and smells the roses.....

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Truth, I don't really like Marbury at the point either.

That said I do think a money perimeter shooter like a Waller or Ray Allen would make a world of difference for this team, or of course a dominant bigman. Lebron wouldn't hurt either.

To end games teams simply zone up on Marbury and take him out of his game (penetrate and dish), so he ends up passing to someone inconsistent on the perimeter (Penny, JC, Kurt). If we had someone out there as worthy of the other teams concentration as Steph, and who could hit an open 3, we'd be far better off for it.

Similarly, if we had a Duncan or Shaq for him to dump it into that would help too. (genius, aren't I).

Problem is, while I think a better SG/SF would help immensely I don't think it would make us anywhere near elite. We'd have simply won some of those close games we always lose. So we'd have a low-mediocre season, instead of this abysmal one.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oak,i read this on RealGM

"The seldom used Steven Hunter stepped in for Stoudemire to score 14 points on 6-7 shooting, most of his buckets coming off of vintage Steve Nash dimes, Mr. Nash finished with 23 points and 12 assists."

The problem we have is KT is the only one who benefits from Starbury on the pick and roll.And that stops in the 4th quarter as Starbury goes into his one on one show. When was the last time marbury made it easy for any of our bigs?????

Come to think of it,do we have a BIG???

Another interesting quote was from your pop,Charles Oakley.He said there is one reason for Vinces resurgence...J-KIDD...He claims J-KIDD will not settle for anything less than 100% from Vince and Vince knows it...

i dont get the feeling marbury has that command of this team

·
A deserving All-Star
2,319 Posts
I think if we get a real PASSING PG and put marbury at the 2 guard position then we would be great. Thing is also TELL HIM TO PASS THE BALL. I think I read a statistic where if he gets 8 or more assists we were like over 70 percent winning record. This was a while ago so it may have decreased percenteges by now but you get my point.

·
Registered
420 Posts
maybe im overly pessimistic but i see no light at the end of the tunnel..

the players we have on the team dont fit and for the most part are stat players not winning players..

we will never get near the salary cap because isiahs gonna trade any expiring cotnracts we get for bigger ones..

thsi cycle were in now with the mindset of ownership translates into mediocre ball for a long time...

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I believe the Knicks should keep Herb. I believe they should let the expiring contracts expire.

In the draft. You need to draft some height, shotblocking and rebounding.

Batche And Petro. Two projects. I would select them both. I would move some of your dead weight PFs for contracts the expire or expire sooner, and maybe get a pick or two in the process. Keep Sweetney

In the second round i'd draft a college senior at center who is around especially while the young Batche and Petro develop. My suggestion Jared Homan.

Also with other picks you have or acquire, look at the new york guys. Stinson and Garcia. I like them both.

I think Thomas should focus on these next two drafts and come away with some players. Personally I'd move Marbury because he is talented and has some trade value.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Rashidi said:
I would appreciate it if everyone would please jump off my bandwagon.
I wouldn't worry about that. Very very few Knicks fans want to bring back Layden, Eisley, Anderson and Spoon. The state of the Knicks is bad, but not that bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts