Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When talking about blown leads...remember our best 2 defenders were out, so if we had them, we would have won by 15!!!

We all talk about trading sheed, but we really do need the guy, just not for 17 mil!

·
Registered
285 Posts
We held the lead for a long stretch after Wallace was ejected. We played well and even up the lead after Wallace was ejected. Sure, Wallace would have likely helped preventing the Suns from that big surge in the 4th quarter, but the Blazers really just blew that lead on their own. We have blew leads with Wallace in the game this season.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wallace Played...

...8 minutes because HE chose to play only 8 minutes. Not the coach, or anyone else. IMO, that says he doesn't give a rip about the outcome.

Go Blazers

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Re: Wallace Played...

Originally posted by <b>CatchNRelease</b>!
...8 minutes because HE chose to play only 8 minutes. Not the coach, or anyone else. IMO, that says he doesn't give a rip about the outcome.

Go Blazers
cept he was complaining about a so so call (at best it was so-so, that was an offensive foul on any other player not named Duncan Webber Shaq and KG) that cost him a foul.

Notice how many more free throws the suns shot compared to Portland? It was more than double, iirc.

It was a tone that was set early, and if Portland hadn't been shooting the lights out in the 1st half, the game would have been a lot closer.

Was Sheed's T a great thing? No. Does it prove anything? Not really, first time in 2 seasons, I think, that he's been tossed.

I like the way Jason Quick spun it.

It was a win that probably would have been less stressful had Wallace not been ejected with 5:49 left in the second quarter for arguing a seemingly obvious foul he committed on Stoudemire.
So the clear out with Amare's arm was a "obvious" foul on Rasheed?

and the 1st technical, I believe, was because he spun the ball towards the suns bench, as the teams were going to a time-out (unless he was cussin, but from the view on TV his mouth was shut)..

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Re: Re: Wallace Played...

Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

Notice how many more free throws the suns shot compared to Portland? It was more than double, iirc.

It was a tone that was set early, and if Portland hadn't been shooting the lights out in the 1st half, the game would have been a lot closer.

Was Sheed's T a great thing? No. Does it prove anything? Not really, first time in 2 seasons, I think, that he's been tossed.
Actually, it's been 3 seasons. To my eyes anyways, it seems that officials usually turn up the calls against the visitors when the home team falls dramatically behind... don't want to upset the customers.

I like the way Jason Quick spun it. So the clear out with Amare's arm was a "obvious" foul on Rasheed?
I think I'm noticing another pattern here...

STOMP

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Wallace Played...

It was a win that probably would have been less stressful had Wallace not been ejected with 5:49 left in the second quarter for arguing a seemingly obvious foul he committed on Stoudemire.
Hmmmm...Quick seems to think people that read the O don't watch the games....

That is a bit offensive if you ask me. He seems to think Blazer fans are idiots and unable to see and discern good calls from bad calls.

putz.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Not a diss

Some of you Blazer fans are fickle. I have read post after post about how some of you wish Rasheed would show that fire that he had a few seasons ago when he was T'd up after T. Hes gets ejected for arguing a terrible call and now I see he doesnt give a rip about the outcome, when he said all he cares about is his teamates. Can someone help me out?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Re: Not a diss

Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!
Some of you Blazer fans are fickle. I have read post after post about how some of you wish Rasheed would show that fire that he had a few seasons ago when he was T'd up after T. Hes gets ejected for arguing a terrible call and now I see he doesnt give a rip about the outcome, when he said all he cares about is his teamates. Can someone help me out?
1 word.

fans need a "scapegoat."

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Sheed didn't choose to leave the game.

The refs mistakenly threw him out. I heard Sheed wasn't even arguing the call. He bounced the ball to the ref but the ref had his back turned so the reg thought Sheed tossed it at him and gave him a tech. Then Sheed was arguing about the tech.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
nice...espn glossed over the ejection as if it's "same old same old"..

not even going into detail about the actual call being bs, or that he got a T for spinning the ball at the Suns bench..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Re: Re: Not a diss

Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

1 word.

fans need a "scapegoat."
:rolleyes:

That's as absurd as me saying the Wallace supporters here need just one thing....a hero. Someone who can do no wrong, no matter how much of a jackass he is.

I don't use Wallace as a scapegoat, which would indicate that I blame him for the teams woes. I think the Blazers, overall have won, and will win more games with Wallace on the team...and I still want him outta here. I'm not blaming him for the team's losses, I just pointed out that he decided that his making his point is more important than staying in the game.

For me, he's sucked the fun out of watching the team I've followed for 25 years. I find him a repulsive prima dona, and I'd like the team a lot more if he weren't on it. Not a popular position here, and position that seems to serve as a waiver of the community standards, allowing the Wallace apologists to attack those simply stating their opinion.

I might add that, while he hasn't been tossed for double T's for a while, he was tossed for seven games for threatening a ref last year. I know... that's OK with a lot of you, but I personally have a problem with that.

I find it amazing that his supporters are so sure that they are right about him, despite all of his antics over the years, that they swarm on any comment made against him. Kinda reminds me of the Laker fans of yesteryear. Too funny. :laugh:

Go Blazers

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Not a diss

Originally posted by <b>BealzeeBob</b>!
I find it amazing that his supporters are so sure that they are right about him, despite all of his antics over the years, that they swarm on any comment made against him. Kinda reminds me of the Laker fans of yesteryear. Too funny. :laugh:
Go Blazers
I wouldn't go that far. That is far too harsh to compare Blazer fans to Laker fans...:D

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
For me, he's sucked the fun out of watching the team I've followed for 25 years. I find him a repulsive prima dona, and I'd like the team a lot more if he weren't on it. Not a popular position here, and position that seems to serve as a waiver of the community standards, allowing the Wallace apologists to attack those simply stating their opinion.

I might add that, while he hasn't been tossed for double T's for a while, he was tossed for seven games for threatening a ref last year. I know... that's OK with a lot of you, but I personally have a problem with that.

BzB- Geez how many low blows do a group of fellow fans who don't want to join the mob of the week for a tar and feather then run their personal scapegoat out of town really deserve? Laker fans? and then you laugh? pretty classless bleep IMO.

He sucks the fun out of the game for you? Boo hoo, welcome to my (and many other blazer fans) world with Damon. Situations are what they are, and sometimes being a fan of a team means there will be players on your team who you wont like.

I don't know about everyone else, but I thought that Wallace's suspension last year may have been too light... but then again I don't have the real facts of the case, so I dont pretend to really know what was the appropriate way to deal with the situation.

The last GM and the current one do. How Nash and Co deal with Sheed's upcomng free agency IMO should not be dictated by the impression that you and I might have formed following the team on TV and through sportscasters from afar, no matter how loud we whine or cheer, but from dealing directily with him personally on a daily basis, seeing him work out (or not), and forming opinions based on what his coaches and peers have to say. According to JQuick (who's insights I think are largely guesses) Nash and Sheed barely talk at all. Their decision to trade, S&T, resign him for themselves, or just let him clear probably won't provide definitive insight to their views on him either as many factors could cause one action or another. If the Magic were to offer up MaGrady for him, I'd guess their long planned salary clearing would be scrapped in a heartbeat. At the end of the day, I hope and trust the basketball professionals hired to make the decisions will make the right one based on whats best for the organization to achieve it's goal of winning basketball games and championships.

STOMP

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mob of the Week????

Well, Stomp,

I've wanted Wallace outta here since the middle of his record setting season. (You remember...the 41 T's that you're OK with.) It's not something new or different. I'm guessing you didn't read much of my post, as I don't use Wallace as a scapegoat, just a player I don't want on the team...but what the heck, that's how many of the Wallace supporters seem to operate.

You don't like the comparison to Laker fans? Cry me a freak'n river. On a different board the Laker flock would show up to for every Laker related thread to defend Shaq or Kobe, no matter what they had said or done. Now, anytime anything is said against Wallace you and other Wallace apologists come flapping into the thread to attack those that don't like the jerk. Quite often this is done via personal attacks, which seems to be OK, as long as you're defending Wallace. Surely, you can see some similarity here? And, yeah...I think it's hysterical.

I'm well aware that sometimes there are players on the team that I won't like. Apparently, to you and some others around here, that means that we should silently accept that, and keep it to ourselves. Well, you can forget THAT shintz. This place is where Blazer fans come to express their opinion, and that's what I'm doing, and will continue to do. IF Blazers management monitors this site, as their broadcast team apparently does, to keep their fingers on the pulse of their fans, I want them to understand that there are fans out there that don't like Wallace, and will continue to stay away from the games until he's gone. (I know, you and your's are enjoying the shorter ticket lines...blah, blah, blah.) I suspect that PA doesn't share your joy about the shorter lines, and he's the one I hope is listening.

Away from this board, when I'm talking with more casual fans of the team, far more of the people I talk with like Wallace. Not everyone thinks that having Wallace is worth a few more wins. I respect your opinion that what you or I think shouldn't affect how management deals with Wallace. However, I stay away from the Rose Garden because of my opinion, and I suspect that there might be a few others that do so, too. Personally, I hope that opinion, translated as empty seats, DOES affect how they deal with Wallace.

The bottom line is, for me, Wallace's talent is not worth his bs. The list of jerky things Wallace has done is a lengthy one. Even his supporters get annoyed at things such as him threatening a ref. He's done a little better lately around the T's and double T's. But here he was getting tossed, because shooting his mouth off comes ahead of what his ejection does to the team. Same with his T against the Kings, where he had to spout off until he got a T in the first 20 seconds of overtime, in arguably the biggest game of the year, at that point. Guess that's OK for those that like the guy. It just tells me that the more things change the more they stay the same.

A question for you Wallace fans. What makes you think Wallace will continue to play C, if he gets a new deal in PDX? He wants to stay in Portland, and he's been on the block most of the season. His motivation is to do something that will make management keep him here, like play C, and shut the hell up. If they resign him, and the Blazers then have to CTC, what makes you think he will continue to play C (or keep his trap shut), when he's never wanted to do that in the past?

Go Blazers

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mixum</b>!
When talking about blown leads...remember our best 2 defenders were out, so if we had them, we would have won by 15!!!

We all talk about trading sheed, but we really do need the guy, just not for 17 mil!
True but we were still up 19 in the 3rd against the 4th or 5th worst team in the L....shoulda held on to win by at least 7-10 imo.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Re: Mob of the Week????

I've wanted Wallace outta here since the middle of his record setting season. (You remember...the 41 T's that you're OK with.)
Congradulations on being one of the first on board with the group for riding Wallace out of town.

Remind me again why I am OK with Wallace getting a staggering amount of Techs? If I was the Blazer GM, I wouldn't want to resign a guy who was hurting the team like that. Since thats not been the case with Wallace in years (let alone the begining of the season when Nash stated the players were starting with a clean slate), and he has apparently addressed and corrected that flaw, I don't feel it's much of an issue any longer. Like any other aspect of being a pro basketball player, I hope that the players on my fav team improve their demeanor/professionalism as their career evolves. I would hope it's ok to agree to disagree without resorting to cheap insults no matter how heartfelt.

You don't like the comparison to Laker fans? Cry me a freak'n river. On a different board the Laker flock would show up to for every Laker related thread to defend Shaq or Kobe, no matter what they had said or done. Now, anytime anything is said against Wallace you and other Wallace apologists come flapping into the thread to attack those that don't like the jerk. Quite often this is done via personal attacks, which seems to be OK, as long as you're defending Wallace.
Personal attacks? Like calling people names, and then laughing at them? Sorry you're being so ambigous in your nasty assertions of how I and others are being offensive, I don't know where to start my defense. Care to provide one example... or better yet participate in the actual discussion/thread that you take offense to instead of these lame blindside attacks on the heals of the team winning 6 of 7?

A question for you Wallace fans. What makes you think Wallace will continue to play C, if he gets a new deal in PDX? He wants to stay in Portland, and he's been on the block most of the season. His motivation is to do something that will make management keep him here, like play C, and shut the hell up. If they resign him, and the Blazers then have to CTC, what makes you think he will continue to play C (or keep his trap shut), when he's never wanted to do that in the past?
I have only guesses as to what Wallace is really like, but all his coaches past and present are on record saying he is very much a team player. I've never read a quote from a coach or peer suggesting that he has a problem doing whats best for the team whether that involves starting, playing inside or out, or guarding guys big or small. IMO, you need 3 big guys to man the 4 and 5 positions, and Wallace is a nice piece to have sliding between the two for 30+ minutes as his game is diverse enough to compliment and guard most everyone. I think his recent play down on the post is a result of having Mo send him there because of having DA and Darius in for Dale and McInnis then his contract status. When he is on the perimeter, IMO its because thas where Mo wants him (usually because both Zach and Dale are in the paint already).

STOMP

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
I'm well aware that sometimes there are players on the team that I won't like. Apparently, to you and some others around here, that means that we should silently accept that, and keep it to ourselves. Well, you can forget THAT shintz. This place is where Blazer fans come to express their opinion, and that's what I'm doing, and will continue to do. IF Blazers management monitors this site, as their broadcast team apparently does, to keep their fingers on the pulse of their fans, I want them to understand that there are fans out there that don't like Wallace, and will continue to stay away from the games until he's gone. (I know, you and your's are enjoying the shorter ticket lines...blah, blah, blah.) I suspect that PA doesn't share your joy about the shorter lines, and he's the one I hope is listening.
My joy about shorter lines? Where are you pulling that impression from? Seriously. What are you talking about? Dude, I live in SF (it says so right next to my name), I don't see those lines too often. While you're free to bash any player you'd like here, if I disagree with your reasoning or argument, like when you're crediting opinions to me that I don't hold, it's not a personal attack. Smaller crowds of late probably can somewhat be attributed to fans like you being disgusted with certain players, but I'd guess that they'll have a few more seats filled now that they are winning again. Lets keep an eye on those attendence figures these upcoming games and see whats doing...

If Blazer management is monitering this site :rolleyes: I think that they'll find plenty of fuel for thought on a variety of their issues... I'm not sure how they're supposed to be getting your impressions when you've barely posted here overall (100 posts and counting). I think emailing the organization, or writing a letter, would be a more effective way of reaching them though. I'm just on here to keep up on whats going on with the team and to occationally lend my 2 cents on an issue... I have no illusions that someone who matters might be keeping tabs and reconsidering their decisions based on my ramblings/speculations.

STOMP

·
Registered
478 Posts
Man, It's Going...

...to be hard to keep up with you. Maybe it will get my post count up, and give me more 'board cred', eh?

Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!

Congradulations on being one of the first on board with the group for riding Wallace out of town.
Why, Thank You! Ahem, I'd like to thank the people that gave me a leg up. Tim Duncan, thanks for showing that a good player doesn't necessarily have to be a jerk. Thanks to the all the NBA players present and past for being part of the sample that shows that Wallace set the bar too high for his only NBA record to ever be broken. Thanks to Rasheed himself for affirming that I have good reason to believe he's the biggest prima dona in sports when you flopped on the floor in front of thousands of fans and threw a little kid's hissy fit. And, thanks to Talkhard, JackieJackel and Terrible for showing that I'm not the only one here that feels he's simply not worth it.

Remind me again why I am OK with Wallace getting a staggering amount of Techs?
Well, I'd argue that all RW supporters that still can accept his boorish behavior, still can support him as a player you want to keep (unless the Blazers receive star value), still cheer for him as the best player on the team, and still look at the improvement in his behavior, instead of the behavior he needs to improve....you must be, to some degree, OK with the things he's done. At a minimum, you’re OK with his T’s in that you forgive him, in light of his improvement.

I also assumed you were OK with his T’s, since you don’t seem concerned about his T 20 seconds into OT against Kings, or him getting tossed for the double T this season.

If I was the Blazer GM, I wouldn't want to resign a guy who was hurting the team like that. Since thats not been the case with Wallace in years (let alone the begining of the season when Nash stated the players were starting with a clean slate), and he has apparently addressed and corrected that flaw, I don't feel it's much of an issue any longer.
I'm not at all sure that Nash DOES want to re-sign Wallace...are you? I must be missing your point here because, IIRC, Wallace has never been resigned by Portland. I believe he came here under a long term contract, with a player option in '98 (?). Yeah, his techs have gone down, but when he gets a T in the first 20 seconds of a hugh game like the Kings, and gets tossed a couple of games later...let's just say I'm not so convinced that ANYTHING is more important to Wallace than having his say with the refs.

… I would hope it's ok to agree to disagree without resorting to cheap insults no matter how heartfelt. Personal attacks? Like calling people names, and then laughing at them? Sorry you're being so ambiguous in your nasty assertions of how I and others are being offensive, I don't know where to start my defense. Care to provide one example... or better yet participate in the actual discussion/thread that you take offense to instead of these lame blindside attacks on the heals of the team winning 6 of 7?
I’d be happy to. How about your condescending bs like boo hoo, if I don’t like Wallace on the team. How about your little violin smilie in response to Talkhard’s opinion? How about calling stating my opinions as ‘lame’? How about posters that refer to complaining about Wallace as ‘moaning and groaning? How about the multitude of times people are called classless when they complain about Wallace? There’s lots more, I just ain’t up for looking for it. I’m a big boy, and don’t really give a rip, except that when I respond in kind I hear about ‘low blows’ and ‘nasty assertions’. If it would make you happy, I’ll refer to those types of comments as cheap shots, borrowing from one of your terms. My point is that, if you’re going to dish it out, expect to receive in kind.

I have only guesses as to what Wallace is really like, but all his coaches past and present are on record saying he is very much a team player.
I know you don’t know the answer to this, but I'll ask the question anyway. If he’s such a team player, and doing what’s best for the team, why hasn’t he been playing C for years now? As for coaches saying he’s are great guy? I KNOW you follow the NBA enough to know that coaches that don’t talk nice about their best players get fired, right?

I've never read a quote from a coach or peer suggesting that he has a problem doing whats best for the team whether that involves starting, playing inside or out, or guarding guys big or small. IMO, you need 3 big guys to man the 4 and 5 positions, and Wallace is a nice piece to have sliding between the two for 30+ minutes as his game is diverse enough to compliment and guard most everyone. I think his recent play down on the post is a result of having Mo send him there because of having DA and Darius in for Dale and McInnis then his contract status. When he is on the perimeter, IMO its because thas where Mo wants him (usually because both Zach and Dale are in the paint already).

Didn’t Talkhard recently post a quote by Mo, where he said he wished Wallace would play down low more often? Whether he did so or not, I don’t buy that Mo wants/wanted Wallace on the perimeter. What makes you think he could make Wallace play anywhere he doesn’t want to play? Mo can’t make him shoot FT’s after practice. Mo can’t get him to work in the weight room. Hell, Wallace supported his buddy Bozo, over Mo, when he wore Bonzi’s number during practice. I don’t too much stock in Mo’s ability to get Wallace to do a damned thing he doesn’t want to.

Go Blazers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts