Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6-9, 265 C/PF Texan, Kendrick Perkins, will announce sometime next week what his intentions are for next season and whether or not the NBA will be his main objective.

Perkins has been rather quiet this summer. He has only participated in the Adidas ABCD camp in Jersey a couple of weeks ago. He has been busy in personal workouts instead. That could be a sign of leaning towards the NBA.

But he has recently been talking about going to school. There are several schools that have been working him regardless of how long he stays. Memphis, Texas, Texas A&M, North Carolina, and Michigan are the early leaders. Texas and Memphis are supposed to be on top.

Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Alabama and Kansas are supposed to be late schools that have jumped into the mix.

Personally I'd like to see him go to college because he really isn't that dominant yet. Not like Eddy Curry was. Both have similiar body styles. But Perkins doesn't know how to use it to his advantage (on the next level).

I'll be sure to keep this story up to date when I get more info.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I sure hope Perkins does go to high school, he isn't as physically gifted as Curry was (I have game tapes of both of them in high school and Curry was by far more dominant) I also have some Lebron James tapes and it is like he is 4 years older then any of the other guys. So collage could do Perkins some good:yes:

b.t.w. I too read that Kendrick had UofA on the top of his list.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by sundevilPAT
I sure hope Perkins does go to high school, he isn't as physically gifted as Curry was (I have game tapes of both of them in high school and Curry was by far more dominant) I also have some Lebron James tapes and it is like he is 4 years older then any of the other guys. So collage could do Perkins some good:yes:

b.t.w. I too read that Kendrick had UofA on the top of his list.
I read that he was interested in U of A as well, and if that's true, then there's no stopping Lute Olson from signing him. They already have the preseason #1 ranked team according to ESPN and many other sites, so with Perkins, U of A would dominate! Lute knows how to relate to recruits, so if Perkins decides not to bolt for the NBA, he will be an Arizona Wildcat.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I live in Kendrick Perkins' hometown, so I've seen him the last two years. IMO, the problem with his stats is that his team is not as assertive in pounding the ball down low as they should be for a player of that capability. That being said, I know that he has promised people, including his family, that he would attend college for at least one year.

If he does, my bets are on Texas. Family is real important to him, and he'd like to be somewhere that they could see him play regularly. Texas is absolutely loaded with talent (Ford, Mouton, Thomas, Boddicker, Erskin, etc.), and all of that talent is extremely young. Perkins could play relatively close to home on a contender that always has had a good track record with recruits.

Until he says otherwise, Texas has to be considered the favorite, if he goes to college.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Is Perkins still growing cause he is only 6'9 and that isn't NBA height which is probably 6'8. He is a little undersized.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cat, not to stray too far off the topic but since you are from Beaumont, maybe you'd know. Is Tre McDowell close to announcing where he's going? I remember watching him at the Atlanta Basketball Classic and I really, really thought he was the one of the best two guards at the event.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Originally posted by sabby187

I read that he was interested in U of A as well, and if that's true, then there's no stopping Lute Olson from signing him. They already have the preseason #1 ranked team according to ESPN and many other sites, so with Perkins, U of A would dominate! Lute knows how to relate to recruits, so if Perkins decides not to bolt for the NBA, he will be an Arizona Wildcat.
Yes, and he if does sign with Arizona, I'd say if not this year, next year looks like a chamionship season for the Wildcats.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to spoil the Perkins to Arizona party but it's not happening. It's Texas, Memphis and apparently now Alabama as well.

Why would Perkins go to Arizona? The PAC-10 wouldn't do him any good. He needs to stay in the SEC or Big 12. That's where the big boys go to play. ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Perkins were to go to the PAC-10, he'd still be fine. That's not my point. My point is the style of play from conference to conference.

What is the PAC-10 known for? Fast paced, high scoring, running and gunning that is usually dictated by superior guard/wing play.

The SEC is a very aggressive league. They always put out the workhorse PFs. Guys like Erwin Dudley, Udonis Haslem, Mario Austin, etc. go unappricated because they do the dirty work. That is what I am talking about.

The Big 12 is a mixture of defense and toughness. Look at Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech. All of those teams put out good hard working defensive minded big men.

I suppose you could throw in some Conf. USA teams as well. The Cincy, Memphis, Charlotte, etc. as well.

IF Perkins wants to become a dominant player in the NBA and if he decides to go to college, he'd be better served by attending a school/conference that "specializes" in his area of concern.

For example, if I want to be a great engineer, I'd go to Georgia Tech. If I wanted to be a good journalist, I'd go to Missouri. If I wanted to be a good lawyer, I'd go to Georgetown. See what I'm saying?

It's not that I think Arizona is a bad school or the PAC-10 is a bad conference. I just don't see why he'd go there if he wants to improve his game.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If he's only 6'9" he better go to college for 2 years and learn how to play either PF or hope he grows a couple more inches. I don't know too much about him but I'm sure he's strickly center now. Just my thoughts..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Originally posted by JustinYoung
If Perkins were to go to the PAC-10, he'd still be fine. That's not my point. My point is the style of play from conference to conference.

What is the PAC-10 known for? Fast paced, high scoring, running and gunning that is usually dictated by superior guard/wing play.

The SEC is a very aggressive league. They always put out the workhorse PFs. Guys like Erwin Dudley, Udonis Haslem, Mario Austin, etc. go unappricated because they do the dirty work. That is what I am talking about.

The Big 12 is a mixture of defense and toughness. Look at Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas Tech. All of those teams put out good hard working defensive minded big men.

I suppose you could throw in some Conf. USA teams as well. The Cincy, Memphis, Charlotte, etc. as well.

IF Perkins wants to become a dominant player in the NBA and if he decides to go to college, he'd be better served by attending a school/conference that "specializes" in his area of concern.

For example, if I want to be a great engineer, I'd go to Georgia Tech. If I wanted to be a good journalist, I'd go to Missouri. If I wanted to be a good lawyer, I'd go to Georgetown. See what I'm saying?

It's not that I think Arizona is a bad school or the PAC-10 is a bad conference. I just don't see why he'd go there if he wants to improve his game.
I catch your drift, Perkins is not a run and gun kind of guy. So yes possibly he should go to another conference that would better suit his style of play. Perkins could be very good one day, and choosing the correct collage is a big part of that. When will he decide, I thought it would be soon??

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He should be announcing soon. Word is, he wants to announce before the school year starts. And that starts in two weeks. So I'd imagine word is just around the corner.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Originally posted by JustinYoung
Cat, not to stray too far off the topic but since you are from Beaumont, maybe you'd know. Is Tre McDowell close to announcing where he's going? I remember watching him at the Atlanta Basketball Classic and I really, really thought he was the one of the best two guards at the event.
Trey went to my school (I graduated in May), so I know a lot about him.

If he has the potential to get to an upper D1 school, I haven't seen it. I'm sure he'll play somewhere... maybe even lower D1, but I think it's a while before he would announce it. Trey just can't really shoot the ball. He's a good scorer, with size and slashing... it's just that he can't really dominate the high school level with his shot. He shot under 50% from the line, I think, which is terrible for a two guard. He just throws it up there... I wouldn't even call it a shot.

His athleticism and slashing will get him a spot somewhere, but I don't think he would get recruited by many big time schools unless he's really worked on his jumper this summer.

BTW, school starts a week from Tuesday...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good deal. Thanks Cat. When I spoke to him I think I remember him saying something about Minnesota, Tulsa and I think Wichita State being the leaders. I haven't heard his name since the ABC.

You nailed it on the head with his shooting. He did penetrate and played bigger than his size. But did struggle from outside. Thanks for the news!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
So what did Perkins do?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JustinYoung</b>!
He should be announcing soon. Word is, he wants to announce before the school year starts. And that starts in two weeks. So I'd imagine word is just around the corner.

no word YETTTTTTTT?:confused: :upset: :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! Kendrick Perkins decided to play for the Memphis Tigers this next season, that is if he doesn't decide to jump to the Pros. I really hope he plays in college for 2 years, I really think it will help him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts