Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start another thread to draw the interest in it. Memphis should be very tough next year with the a front line of Perkins, Amare Stoudemire, Qyntel Woods and Earl Barron. Don't froget DaJuan Wagner and Scooter McFagden in the backcourt. My vote for national champs.

BTW, this is a serious committment. It just seems to me to be a Eddy Curry to DePaul type committment.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Why would anyone in their right mind want to go to MEMPHIS? Of all crappy places... shoot, their fans throw flaming pennies at Hall of Fame coaches. Their coach is a flaky punk. And what's with these great prospects committing to C-USA schools? I mean, I like good players to come to the conference, because I want it to get better, but that's the third year in a row that the top big man recruit in the nation has committed to C-USA, and the third year in a row that he'll go straight to the NBA.

And, God, Memphis... that's almost as bad as Cincinnati or Kentucky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, Kendrick choices of schools were pretty slim. Not to many big time schools wanted to touch him with all of the NBA talk. I know Carolina offered a scholarship to him but only if he promised to play two years before heading to the pros. Most schools didn't even bother recruiting him much the way it is for Lebron James. Lebron James has mentioned Carolina numerous times when he talks about colleges but most Carolina fans are more concerned with Courtney Sims. I agree 100% with this. As a Carolina fan, I really don't want Perkins. I'd take Butch, Taft and Padgett before him. I guess he felt Memphis was the best available. I don't have a list of schools that offered him (I would be curious to see one though) but I guessing a lot of those offers are tentative right now espically with his NBA talk. Even so, Memphis did a pretty good job with Wagner last year. He came in and showcased his skills immediately something that Alabama didn't do with Gerald Wallace.

And what's with the talk about Cincinnati? I've followed the Bearcats for since I was little (I was born in Columbus) and although I will admitt they aren't the cleanest program, their are far worse programs that don't get the negative publicy Cincy does.

Most of the negative publicly comes from the SI article where it listed Cincy's grad rate at 0%. While this is true, the number failed to report a lot of information. JUCO players were not included in the study and Huggins recruits a lot of JUCOs. Players also had to graduate within 6 years. This would put Vince Carter, who recieved his degree from Carolina in the same class as William Avery, who dropped out of school after the basketball season and hasn't went back. Since then, Cincy has had several grads including Kenyon Martin, who graduated during the summer after being the number one pick in the draft, Jermaine Tate, Pete Mickael and Steve Logan, who graduated with slightly less than a 3.0 GPA. Last fall, 7 players made the Bearcat Scholars lists with a 3.0 or higher for the fall semester. Overall, Huggins has a graduation rate of around 40% at Cincinnati including junior college players. Although their are better ones, their are certainly worse ones.

Cincy also has gotten a bad rap for some of it's players off the court actions. Donald Little this season is a perfect example. Little was dismissed for burning and stabing his roomate with a hot knife who he had tied up in his dorm room. The 6'11" Little, who had pro potential, wasn't a first time offender and was dismissed from the team. BJ Grove, Cincy's other 6'11" big man who isn't as athletic as Little, has ran into problems with abusing his girlfriend over the last two years. Cincy recruit Eric Hicks, a NC native, was also shot this year in the leg "breaking up a fight". I'll be the first to admitt that Cincy isn't a perfectly clean program but every program has it's problems.

I don't mean to single out Duke here but I'm going too. (And part of it is yes - because I am a Carolina fan, too.) Casey Sanders was arrested for abusing his girlfriend this summer. Incoming recruit Shelden Williams was accused of rape. The case never went to trial because of the girl's wishes but according to the reports I've read could go to trial at any time. Shelden was suspended from his high school team for the remander of the season. Incoming recruit Sean Dockery, also had questions with his ACT score. And Duke is widely regarded as the perfect school for sports and academics (Thank You Dick Vitale). Even Carolina has had it's problems. Jackie Manuel was arrested for assault in a club, where the minimum age is 21, which Jackie is not. We had three transfers this over the last year. Yet, still neither school gets a bad rap for these things. Yet, schools like Cincinnati are constantly considered "What is wrong with college ball" when the truth is that it happens anywhere.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm not interested in the truth about Cincinnati. I wish bad things upon all their players, coaches, and fans.
;) ;)

Hey, I'm a Louisville fan. Just having a little fun. You're a Cinci fan, you should know, I hate everything about Kentucky, Cincinnati, and Memphis!

Actually, I was shocked when I found out what Cinci's graduation rate was. I read somewhere that it was in the 40s, so your number is correct. I believe it was 47%. It's actually higher than Louisville's, though it doesn't include JUCOs and players that came back, as you stated, excluding players like Marques Maybin, Joseph N'Sima, who had a GPA in the high 3's, and a couple others. Cincinnati's basketball team also has the highest grade point average in Conference USA, though the number may be slightly skewed as they have a pair of 4.0 walk-ons. Jason Maxiell is also very smart. And he's scarier than K-Mart to other teams' fans.

Just having a little fun with a rivalry, nothing really against Cincinnati... other than, well, they're Cincinnati.

And by the way, Nick Van Exel doesn't help your rep.

Hey, how about that game last year at Freedom Hall? "Unranked Louisville knocks off number two Cincinnati..."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well blame it on me. I didn't know you are a Louisville fan. I not very used to meet ones that only can type but have access to a computer. ;)

Anyway, I love Maxiell to death but he isn't the athlete Kenyon was. He reminds me of a blend of Martin and Fortson. Plus, since's he is only around 6'7" the pros won't be calling soon. :yes:

Plus, 4.0 walk-ons are all good. The famous Dean Smith 98% grad rate not only included walk-ons but team managers.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
"I not very used to meet ones that only can type but have access to a computer."

Well ya blew that one!;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Originally posted by CoolHandLuke
And, God, Memphis... that's almost as bad as Cincinnati or Kentucky.
Absolutely priceless! :laugh:

I agree, why Memphis? I really don't understand why in the world players want to play for John Calipari. He's a car salesman not a basketball coach. No wonder players leave early or transfer. ;)

I hope Kendrick (if he indeed goes to school) takes advantage of playing in the NCAAs. He'll need all the time in the world. But again, why Memphis?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
you got that right

I agree, why Memphis? I really don't understand why in the world players want to play for John Calipari. He's a car salesman not a basketball coach. No wonder players leave early or transfer.
He's a car salesman, or maybe a car giver-awayer man. I don't think it's a coincidence that he gets guys like Wagner, Stoudemire, Perkins, etc. Plus he's now getting in on Olu Famutimi, who has recently been talking about going pro. I don't get why he recruits so many guys who won't be there for more than a year or two though, it's got him no where so far at Memphis.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why are all these 6'5" 2-guards planning to head to the pros? Did these kids not watch Lenny Cooke, a top 5 player in his class, go undrafted?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Online Hoops isn't the most reliable source and I question some things in the interview.

For one, if Kendrick is 90% NBA, why is even Memphis looking at him. I mean, at least Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown and Qyntel Woods planned to go to school (in their words).

On the other hand, nobody would touch Lenny Cooke or DeAngelo Collins last year. Only St. John's should legit interest in Cooke and Fresno State in Collins. And both of those guys at least entertained college.

Online Hoops is also reporting that the Tar Heels have offered Courtney Sims. While I have no proof that they haven't, I haven't found another source that says they have. Carolina websites, espically Inside Carolina, are usually pretty good at these things and none of them say an offer has been made. An offer also wouldn't make sense to me, since reports still indicate that Sims is a level below Butch, Padgett and Taft. Butch has inked a visit with us and has us in his top 5. Padgett is a longshot but still a slight chance. If Taft can get his grades in order, we will offer and he has said many times that he really likes Carolina.

I just think a lot of Online Hoops information comes from shaky reports.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts