Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Money isn't everything. But it's nothing to walk away from, either.

So Cliff Robinson, who has provided the Nets size and defense for the final two-plus months of the season, should face a major financial decision this summer.

The last year of his contract, 2005-06, is at the team option for $5.875 million. The Nets aren't talking about it yet but almost certainly, they won't pay the full amount. Still, Robinson is an attractive piece they'll probably want to have back.

So is New Jersey appealing enough to Robinson for less?

"Yeah, it would be but I'd have to weigh my options and see what's available," said Robinson, 38. "I'm sure there'll be a few things available. I'll just have to wait and see what comes up. I have no idea what they're thinking. But I would love to come back and play here with the direction the team is going, sure."
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/22752.htm

That means his contract would eat into the MLE, no? Unless its for the minimum. Or do they have Bird rights?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
schub said:
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/22752.htm
That means his contract would eat into the MLE, no? Unless its for the minimum. Or do they have Bird rights?
We have his bird rights, so it won't eat into the MLE. And if the Nets cut his contract in half, or to about 3 million, will any team offer him that with their MLE?

Don't think so...

-Petey

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
i would definitly welcome him back for as little as possible. i think he likes the systems and likes playing with jason again. i think he will be better next year because he will know his role more in coming off the bench and teach our younger guys. i think uncle cliffy will retire with us.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I don't believe we have his Bird rights. If I'm not mistaken he is on the 2nd year of a 2 year deal w/ the third as the option. Its got to be a 3 year done deal before you have Bird rights.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
SeaNet said:
I don't believe we have his Bird rights. If I'm not mistaken he is on the 2nd year of a 2 year deal w/ the third as the option. Its got to be a 3 year done deal before you have Bird rights.
Was his 2 year deal an extension? If so we would still have his bird rights.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It would be great to keep Robinson for less money. Better defender than "Collins all mighty".

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
NetIncome said:
I believe it was. Pistons signed him in 2003 to a two year extension, then traded him to the Warriors.
Then we have his 'Bird Rights'...

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
uptown4784 said:
Everybody keeps underrating Robinson. He can play every position expect PG. And he could guard every position but expect PG :).
He hasn't played anything but the 4/5. When has he ever been on the court with 2 other of our bigs? IE, Collins, Krstic and/or Smith?

-Petey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts