Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· High-Ayatolla of Slamola
4,109 Posts
Re: Kerr: Here Come the Monsters of the Meadowlands

So much for Kerr not giving us credit, eh?

Reactions: Petey

· Registered
6,449 Posts

See guys. Kerr ain't so bad.

· Registered
1,034 Posts

This was a great article from kerr because he practically hit the nail on the head. Detroit needs to be afraid. We play them very well for some reason. I dont agree with us not being exciting. I think we have a few plays that make people stand up during the course of the game. Of course, there not the Kidd to Kmart plays we all knew once. But they are perfectly run plays within the new offense. Gotta love this team

· Registered
2,532 Posts

VCFORTHREE15 said:
This was a great article from kerr because he practically hit the nail on the head. Detroit needs to be afraid. We play them very well for some reason. I dont agree with us not being exciting. I think we have a few plays that make people stand up during the course of the game. Of course, there not the Kidd to Kmart plays we all knew once. But they are perfectly run plays within the new offense. Gotta love this team
It's very clear why we play them well. As good as the Wallaces are, they depend on the guards tremendously. While Billups and Rip are better than almost all guard tandems...JKidd and VC are better.

Detroit also uses Prince as their wildcard. Whenever Prince has a good game, the Pistons win. Well...unfortunately for Detroit, Prince is RJ's biatch!

Our weakest component is our frontline. Well, the two Wallaces really are not great offensive players. In fact, if Nenad has a good game, he will probably be the highest scoring frontline player.

And other than Dice, Detroit's bench has taken a major step backward from two years ago.

I have no fear...and if VC is on, the series could end quickly.

· Burned
18,770 Posts

As usual, he has exactly the right take on what is going on.

Lawrence Frank is the only person who believed the Nets could win with defense. He stuck to his belief even when it might have cost him his job. I thought he was crazy.

Now his faith, especially in Nenad, has paid off in spades and we all have an extremely dangerous playoff team to watch.

· Burned
18,770 Posts

On a side note, I think Kerr is the only one of these "columnists" that actually watches entire games and can interpret what he sees.

Look at his analysis of the Nets. It's like he's been hanging out here and watching them with us all season.

That leads me to believe he's that knowlegable about every team. That's why I trust him when I read his take on things.

· Burned
18,770 Posts

On the other end of the journalism spectrum, we have the great Mike Francessa, who said yesterday,

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Back up a little bit here. A guy gets 21/10 against a donut team and now he's some kind of superstar or something? Give me a break. The Nets have NO CHANCE against Shaq. There's no way they can beat Miami."

If you called him today and told him Nenad is light years better than Channing Frye, he would arrogantly laugh at you and call you crazy.

And the best part is he freely admits he thinks the NBA regular season is boring and he doesn't watch any games.

· Registered
1,224 Posts

rundmc00 said:
It's very clear why we play them well. As good as the Wallaces are, they depend on the guards tremendously. While Billups and Rip are better than almost all guard tandems...JKidd and VC are better.

Detroit also uses Prince as their wildcard. Whenever Prince has a good game, the Pistons win. Well...unfortunately for Detroit, Prince is RJ's biatch!

Our weakest component is our frontline. Well, the two Wallaces really are not great offensive players. In fact, if Nenad has a good game, he will probably be the highest scoring frontline player.

And other than Dice, Detroit's bench has taken a major step backward from two years ago.

I have no fear...and if VC is on, the series could end quickly.

I agree, Detroit relies on its guards A LOT. The media is always saying how they are the best backcourt in the NBA but I can name at least two more tandems that I feel are way better. Obviously Vince and JKidd but also Baron Davis and Jason Richardson of the Warriors, sadly they haven't both been healthy for most of the season. Rip Hamilton is a good player, but i think he's overrated and physically weak. when he plays against athletic wings he has a lot of trouble.

· Registered
954 Posts

i was enjoying that article also until he got to the part about nets not being exciting. how can you classify a team with carter, jefferson and kidd as not exciting. On espn's top 10 the other day, there were 2 nets plays from the same game on the list. Carter is constantly pulling something new that we've never seen before. It almost seems like he had to knock the nets even when giving them praise.

· Registered
1,798 Posts

:clap:
And center Jason Collins uses his size, strength and intelligence to clog the lane, block shots and force difficult attempts.
Two nice quotes.

Jim Rome last night was saying the same basic thing, said NOBODY wants to meet the Nets in the playoffs.

· Premium Member
69,620 Posts

Well well well someone who actually believes the halfcourt game benefits the nets more than that uptempo stuff. Hmm now who was saying the same thing a few months back

· Registered
5,657 Posts
Nets the pistons of the atlantic :)

I like that:

Exciting? Not really. Fast? No. These aren't the Suns of the East. These are the Pistons of the Atlantic Division. And if Detroit isn't careful, the Nets could take over the mantle of "Best Team in the East."-Steve Kerr (finally giving props to NJ but he's a bandwagon person but still its nice getting props)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sk-notebook032906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

· Registered
6,449 Posts

Hbwoy said:
Well well well someone who actually believes the halfcourt game benefits the nets more than that uptempo stuff. Hmm now who was saying the same thing a few months back
I dunno. Could it be you?

· Registered
1,063 Posts

this matchup isn't as simple as our guards being better than theirs.. Even if our guards are able to penetrate the problem is their two big men and team defense. Once Kidd and Carter penetrate they will run into two wallaces and they are not easy players to just charge into. They know how to collapse onto the penetrators and know who to use double team so not many penetrate and dish plays happen.
but yea, Kidd and Carter must be able to get past their opponents first and create chances for cutters (RJ) or for Krstic for layup inside. If zoran gets playing time he will also be a very good player off bench for his specialty(penetrate and dish).

· Registered
1,504 Posts

Hbwoy said:
That's the reality,this is a halfcourt team that move the ball well and sometimes run the break.Maybe that's the reason some basketball "gurus" here hate Vince Carter so much.

I know some people here are still in denial,and still are dreaming about that team that play in the finals twice,but guess what? that team is GONE.This team is different,accept them for what they are.

Come playoffs time defense get tighter,and the game slow down even more.It becomes a halfcourt game for nearly every team in the playoffs.And that is a "fact"

"Learn the game,Junior" :rotf:

· Registered
8,452 Posts

Hbwoy said:
He didn't say that. He said it's workiing for the Nets. He never said it was the better way to go. What he actually seemed to praise the most was the Nets defense.

And a few months back we were more questioning the lack of the motion offense more than the lack of running game. I personally hated iso fest, but were back to good ball distribution!

All teams need to run at some point, even the Spurs are a good transition team. We will never run like we did in the old days, but even that slowed down in a lot of games back then. We run as much as the opposition will let us.

· Premium Member
69,620 Posts

Netted- said:
He didn't say that. He said it's workiing for the Nets. He never said it was the better way to go. What he actually seemed to praise the most was the Nets defense.

And a few months back we were more questioning the lack of the motion offense more than the lack of running game. I personally hated iso fest, but were back to good ball distribution!

All teams need to run at some point, even the Spurs are a good transition team. We will never run like we did in the old days, but even that slowed down in a lot of games back then. We run as much as the opposition will let us.
Thats basically what I was saying back when the first arguement was made. You play to your strenghts and quite frankly the nets are better suited as of now in a halfcourt game than trying to run constantly. Of course running once the opportunity presents itself is always a good thing.

If it aint broke......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.