Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put number 30 up on the rafters already. It's about time that we start recognizing some people of more recent times, and Kerry spent seven full years here and averaged almost fifteen a game. It's a shame that he had to be traded and that it couldn't have ended on good terms, but I'm tired of looking at Dr. J and Buck freaking Williams up on the rafters (guys who have shown no interest in being recognized remotely as NJ Nets) when Kittles' contributions to this franchise spanned his entire career.

If he would allow us to do the honors, I think it would only be right to celebrate and honor number 30's achievements with us. Right now Drazen true NBA player who is both recognized as a New Jersey Net and remembered as one in the minds of fans, who happens to be up there.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I hope they do at some point too. I always like Kerry and thought, when healthy, he played great. Not sure if now is the right time. I don't think he has officially retired. I think he may just be taking the year off and trying to heal his back. It would be weird next season having a player come in, whether it be as a Net or an opponent, and their number is hanging in the rafters.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Buck Williams was an all star several times while a Net. He played the most games and most minutes. He scored the most points and grabbed the most rebounds of any Net. He's second in blocks, and first in FGs and FTs made. Kittles can't match up stat-wise to Buck. Kittles may be deserving, but if anyone's career was tied into the Nets, it'd have to be Buck and his 635 games, as opposed to Kittles' 496.

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
Krstic All Star said:
Buck Williams was an all star several times while a Net. He played the most games and most minutes. He scored the most points and grabbed the most rebounds of any Net. He's second in blocks, and first in FGs and FTs made. Kittles can't match up stat-wise to Buck. Kittles may be deserving, but if anyone's career was tied into the Nets, it'd have to be Buck and his 635 games, as opposed to Kittles' 496.
Buck is the greatest Net of all time and his jersey should be immediately retired!!

I think Kerry is a top five Net, but I think a "Kerry Kittles Night" when he retires is more appropriate in his case.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
ghoti said:
Buck is the greatest Net of all time and his jersey should be immediately retired!!

I think Kerry is a top five Net, but I think a "Kerry Kittles Night" when he retires is more appropriate in his case.
Buck's isn't?

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
Netted- said:
Buck's isn't?
No, it is!

Whew. Sorry. Right up there with Melchionni, Williamson, Petrovic, and Dr. J!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I would retire his jersey I think thats the best way to thank him for his services over the years as a Net.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
ghoti said:
No, it is!

Whew. Sorry. Right up there with Melchionni, Williamson, Petrovic, and Dr. J!
Drazen was great, but I think Kerry did more for the Nets than he did. He was a big part of back-to-back trips to the Finals.

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
Netted- said:
Drazen was great, but I think Kerry did more for the Nets than he did. He was a big part of back-to-back trips to the Finals.
If Drazen were still alive and only suffered a career ending injury at that point, his number would not be retired.

I wish that were the case, actually. :cry:

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Man, I miss Kerry. I would love having KK's number retired. He was the most underrated Net ever. And he was proud to play for NJ, can't find to many players that are like that now.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Kittles was a great Net, but he's not a great player. He's not the type of number you retire.

Don't worry, in 5-7 years you'll see Kidd's number up there, and if you wait a bit longer RJ and Vince's.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The only retired Nets number I don't get is Wendell Ladner (R.I.P #4). We retired it because he died in a plane crash? In his short 2 years with the Nets, he contributed nothing. Didn't even get to taste the championship the Nets won a year after his death.

So if Padgett would die in a plane crash tomorrow, would we retire his number?

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
AND1NBA said:
The only retired Nets number I don't get is Wendell Ladner (R.I.P #4). We retired it because he died in a plane crash? In his short 2 years with the Nets, he contributed nothing. Didn't even get to taste the championship the Nets won a year after his death.

Dammit #4 was the number I was going to wear when I play for the Nets. :biggrin: R.I.P though.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
AND1NBA said:

God forbid.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
krsticfan325 said:
Put number 30 up on the rafters already. It's about time that we start recognizing some people of more recent times, and Kerry spent seven full years here and averaged almost fifteen a game. It's a shame that he had to be traded and that it couldn't have ended on good terms, but I'm tired of looking at Dr. J and Buck freaking Williams up on the rafters (guys who have shown no interest in being recognized remotely as NJ Nets) when Kittles' contributions to this franchise spanned his entire career.

If he would allow us to do the honors, I think it would only be right to celebrate and honor number 30's achievements with us. Right now Drazen true NBA player who is both recognized as a New Jersey Net and remembered as one in the minds of fans, who happens to be up there.
hell yea

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Kittles' #30 WAS retired... at Villanova, during my senior year there.

I'll think you'll turn blue in the face waiting for the same honor at the pro level.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts