Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-love-remains-unsure-about-timberwolves--future-200009299.html

For everyone else still stunned over the Minnesota Timberwolves' owner and general manager downright daring the franchise's best player to leave for free agency in two years, Kevin Love promises to be a professional, promises All-Star performance and productivity. Over the organization's refusal to designate him as the cornerstone, though, there come no promises of forgiveness from Love. No assurance it won't chase him out the door and out of the franchise forever someday.
"I don't know who labels people stars, but even [T'wolves owner] Glen Taylor said: I don't think Kevin Love is a star, because he hasn't led us to the playoffs," Love told Yahoo! Sports. "I mean, it's not like I had much support out there.

"That's a tough pill to swallow."

No, Kevin Love isn't over Taylor and GM David Kahn refusing him what he had earned. He isn't over Kahn marching into the trainer's room after a loss and thrusting a contract offer sheet into his hands. Where else does it work that way in the NBA? "I'm not the one to always follow professional protocol – but I do know what it is, even at 24 years old," Love says.

Perhaps those issues wouldn't still be so raw had the franchise responded differently when Love broke his hand in a preseason workout. In a regimen he's done most of his life, Love fractured a bone thrusting himself to his feet upon completion of a round of knuckle pushups. He missed a month on the floor, but his ears missed nothing from those in management whispering that maybe the injury didn't happen the way Love insisted it did.

"Even people in my own organization were asking if it was a legitimate injury, people calling my honesty and integrity into question," Love says. "And that's what really hurt me."

Across a table in a downtown Philadelphia steak house recently, Love digs into a shrimp cocktail and considers the futility of the regime that passed judgment on his future, the power it holds over his championship aspirations. As much as Love believes strongly in the greatness of coach Rick Adelman, Kahn has offered no reason for faith in his own wayward vision.

"You walk into the locker room every year, and it's completely turned over," Love says. "There's new guys everywhere. And then it happens again and again. You start to wonder: Is there really a plan here? Is there really any kind of a … plan?"

Love doesn't want to sound "bitter over it," he says, because he understands that no one wants to hear him unhappy over a four-year, $62 million contract. In so many ways, the contract is beyond his wildest dreams. Yet the five-year, $80 million maximum designation the franchise could have given him represented the commitment he wanted to make to Minnesota, the way with which a first-team All-NBA player and Olympian should stand shoulder to shoulder with a city, an organization.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
As far as franchise players go, Love spends way too much time bitching the the media. He's usually at least somewhat right, but Kobe's the only other guy in the league who does stuff like this regularly.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
If they can turn Derrick Williams into a competent(not great) swingman they'll actually have a playoff-caliber roster, but he seems intent on leaving at the end of his contract. Other players have caught more backlash for trying to force their way out like this.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Kevin Love, if you know what's good for you, come to Cleveland.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
SIGN ALL THE STARS!!!!

Seriously though, a Bosh/Love frontcourt would not be very pretty on Defense... Love would bring good rebounding but we will struggle against big frontcourts like Zbo/Gasol, Gasol/Howard, West/Hibbert.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
SIGN ALL THE STARS!!!!

Seriously though, a Bosh/Love frontcourt would not be very pretty on Defense... Love would bring good rebounding but we will struggle against big frontcourts like Zbo/Gasol, Gasol/Howard, West/Hibbert.
How the hell would you sign him?

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Love obviously is gone at some point though. He's been complaining for like 2 or 3 seasons now.

"Jeez guys, I can't do it all on my own. I wish the front office would at least try to make some moves."

"There's always way too many new faces every year. The GM is making too many moves every offseason."

Yea..... Shut up Kevin.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
As far as franchise players go, Love spends way too much time bitching the the media. He's usually at least somewhat right, but Kobe's the only other guy in the league who does stuff like this regularly.
You're right ! Love should be happy to play his heart out and lose over and over. To have no chemistry with any teammates because the go in and out like a train station.

He and Beasley had something going on last season and they let him go. Williams isn't a replacement.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Love obviously is gone at some point though. He's been complaining for like 2 or 3 seasons now.

"Jeez guys, I can't do it all on my own. I wish the front office would at least try to make some moves."

"There's always way too many new faces every year. The GM is making too many moves every offseason."

Yea..... Shut up Kevin.
That's the first thing I thought of when I read the article. "We didn't make the playoffs because I don't have any help" followed by "we keep getting new guys every year, what are we doing?". Can't have it both ways Kevin, either you like being able to put up 25/15 a night on a shitty team with no other options or you want the team to make moves and get better.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
You're right ! Love should be happy to play his heart out and lose over and over. To have no chemistry with any teammates because the go in and out like a train station.

He and Beasley had something going on last season and they let him go. Williams isn't a replacement.
Michael Beasley? The guy who the Suns are about to get rid of and who will be out of the league sooner rather than later. That Michael Beasley?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Well, he played well in Minn. Some guys fit some places and don't fit in others. Suns need a full rebuilding project...but, they won't do it.

There was a point Love and Beasley were both getting over 20pts/over 7 rebs. He was actually consistent for a time, imagine that. Some teams need to leave well enough alone. Now its chaos.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
In two years, Mavericks might have an opening at power forward. You know Cuban treats his players fairly.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Well, he played well in Minn. Some guys fit some places and don't fit in others. Suns need a full rebuilding project...but, they won't do it.

There was a point Love and Beasley were both getting over 20pts/over 7 rebs. He was actually consistent for a time, imagine that. Some teams need to leave well enough alone. Now its chaos.
Chaos? The team overhauled the roster because Love bitched to the media about not having enough help, and the supporting cast actually did a good job of treading water when they opened the season without their two best players because a 260lb guy thought knuckle pushups were a good idea. He's supposed to be the team leader and his sabotaging his own locker room because he wanted more money in his contract extension. Dwight would rightfully get killed for this, just because the Wolves have a poor track record doesn't give Love a pass to throw his teammates under the bus. Minnesota should get ahead of the curve and start shopping him now.

EDIT: (Nevermind. Friggin poison pill contracts.......)

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Love has no ground to stand on here. Taylor is right, a true superstar in this league is good enough to get you in playoff contention with crap. Paul did it. Howard did it last year. And a 15 win roster NEEDS to be overhauled.

He got a great extension on the level of what Marc Gasol got. That's fair. Taylor's responsible. Before anyone claims he should of got what Blake Griffin did the Clippers did that in part to make sure CP3 stays and also because Blake's sold out the building since his rookie season.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Are you kidding? What kind of dumbass owner calls out his own big contract player like that? "He's not a star". Who's the guy hitting game winning shots, who's putting the team on the map? Rubio? Krilienko? Come on.

When they "overhauled" this roster they signed some guys from Europe. They signed a guy out of retirement. They sign some randoms and some D-league borderline pros. You don't put together a pro NBA team by sorting thru the recycling bin.

You've got an idiot GM making dumb decisions, and that's why they're terrible. Derrick Williams? Michael Beasley? Where's Jonny Flynn at? Just a bunch of clowns making personnel decisions.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts