Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What do you think of interm coach Kevin Pritchard? I mean he has shown Damon how to pat his head and rub his tummy at the same time, but do you think that he would make a good GM to replace John Nash or do you think that he is going to go back to his player personal job after his coaching gig is up?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
HOWIE said:

What do you think of interm coach Kevin Pritchard? I mean he has shown Damon how to pat his head and rub his tummy at the same time, but do you think that he would make a good GM to replace John Nash or do you think that he is going to go back to his player personal job after his coaching gig is up?
I don't know why people think he's done something to warrent being a GM. I'm not saying he'd make a bad one, I just wonder if I've missed some great deeds he did to justify this love-affair with him for future GM.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Hap said:
I don't know why people think he's done something to warrent being a GM. I'm not saying he'd make a bad one, I just wonder if I've missed some great deeds he did to justify this love-affair with him for future GM.
I believe it is based on the perception that KP is unafraid to rebuild thru a youth movement.

We can argue whether or not that is the best approach.....but the mere fact that he appears to *have* a plan is something. Nash gives every appearance of a man treading water.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hap said:
I think that most of it is his prior jobs. I really doubt that he ends up as the new GM, but it could happen. How ironic would that be for Nash, the guy that gave him the coaching job gets replaced by the coach. :nonono:

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Hap said:
Agreed. He might be an awesome GM, I dunno. He was respected for his work with the Spurs, but in my opinion Tim Duncan has a tendency to make a whole franchise look pretty good.

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Ed O said:
Agreed. He might be an awesome GM, I dunno. He was respected for his work with the Spurs, but in my opinion Tim Duncan has a tendency to make a whole franchise look pretty good.

Ed O.
Very true on Tim Duncan.

After seeing how the Spurs got dismantled tonight with out Duncan made me realize that the franchise would be pretty mediocre with out Duncan.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HearToTemptYou said:
Very true on Tim Duncan.

After seeing how the Spurs got dismantled tonight with out Duncan made me realize that the franchise would be pretty mediocre with out Duncan.
This is so true, just think what a super star like a "Tim Duncan" would do for the Portland Trailblazers. I think we all saw last night what a Star really means to a team and without him they are just mediocre. Portland has some great pieces of the puzzle, but until someone rises to the top or Portland is lucky enough to land a player like a "Tim Duncan" we might just have to settle for a pretty good time that is good enough to make the playoffs, but just can't win it all.

As for Pritchard, I think that he is going to have a boat load of input on what this team does this offseason and I wouldn't be as suprised to see him as asst. GM after his coaching gig is up. I doubt that the franchise is turned over to him that quicky, but hey, if he is named our new GM who is to say that he wouldn't do a good job on getting what this team needs to win. :whoknows:

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
HOWIE said:
This is so true, just think what a super star like a "Tim Duncan" would do for the Portland Trailblazers. I think we all saw last night what a Star really means to a team and without him they are just mediocre. Portland has some great pieces of the puzzle, but until someone rises to the top or Portland is lucky enough to land a player like a "Tim Duncan" we might just have to settle for a pretty good time that is good enough to make the playoffs, but just can't win it all.
Not having a Timmy D type star didn't stop Detroit last year, and I think they'll be the ones on top again this year when alls said and done. I really like the way they win by having solid complimentary talents/no weak links throughout their roster. Until Portland somehow acquires a superstar hub, I'm for Nash/Pritchard (or whoever) emulating the approach where the team is the star.

STOMP

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Hap said:
I keep asking the same question, Hap. I just don't get it. I suspect that, in many cases, people are so unhappy with the moves Nash has made that they're looking for any viable replacement possible. I don't know that Pritchard is all tha viable... yet.

PBF

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I don't think KP will be the next GM. He is the head scout. He is scouting this team to understand what players can do and cannot do. He will feed this info to Nash and others in discussions about potential trades.

I have a hunch that mgmt didn't know anything about these guys prior to firing Cheeks. Now they do. They are better able to now decide who to give up in trade and who to keep.

I still hold the belief that Nash should be given through the Free agent signing period before decisions are made about his effectiveness. So far, I think he's drafted well, traded well, and other than our collective disappointment with Miles and Ratliff's injury - his signings have been good also.

·
Banned
2,398 Posts
Having been coach of the team, KP as head scout would be incredibly well qualified to understand, intimately, how potential draft picks or trades may work with the chemistry of the team.

Does this make him qualified for GM, not necessarily but I think it would make him a better head scout.

Gramps...

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
How man first time GMs have done much to warrant being a GM, at least that the public is aware of?

WOrd on the street is that Greg Anthony is the frontrunner for the GM position in Cleveland. THe Cavs are a team starting to open the Champiionship window, you would think they woulld want an experienced GM....That said experienced GMs that are available are available for a reason.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
nash is a better scout than gm imo

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
I have a hunch that mgmt didn't know anything about these guys prior to firing Cheeks. Now they do. They are better able to now decide who to give up in trade and who to keep.
How can that be the case? Looking at the roster:

-- SAR: acquired in trade
-- Frahm: signed as FA
-- Khryapa: drafted
-- Miles: acquired in trade and signed to a new contract
-- Pzrybilla: signed as FA
-- Zach: signed to a contract extension
-- Theo: acquired in trade and signed to a contract extension
-- Ha: drafted
-- Telfair: drafted
-- NVE: acquired in trade

That's 9 players on the roster that Nash has made important decisions about acquiring and/or signing. How can they not have known a lot about those guys before they made those moves?

I still hold the belief that Nash should be given through the Free agent signing period before decisions are made about his effectiveness. So far, I think he's drafted well, traded well, and other than our collective disappointment with Miles and Ratliff's injury - his signings have been good also.
I definitely think that it would be more fair to let Nash play this summer out before judging him... the draft pick and Nick are big bargaining chips, and SAR and Damon just might bring us something, too.

But so far, I disagree that he's drafted well or traded well. I think he's done a piss-poor job on each, surpassed (unfortunately) by his terrible contract extensions.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I definitely think Kevin Pritchard is being groomed for the GM slot although I'm not certain when the Blazers will move Nash out. The things I've heard about Pritchard are all very positive, especially his work using quantitative analysis to assist in identifying players to acquire. I believe you have to use the most objective measures possible when evaluating talent and I think Pritchard is on the right track here. As far as the Spurs are concerned...yes they lost big to Dallas, but they still have a winning record even without Duncan. I think they've done an excellent job in acquiring talent to compliment TD.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
how did he draft piss poor?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Since the top 3 picks in the draft (Howard, Okafor and Gordan), and maybe Andre Igoudala, are the only ones really proving their worth right now, I don't think Judgement can be truely made for another year or so.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
How has Nash done a "piss poor" job of drafting Ed?

I totally disagree with that sentiment...

Is Al Jefferson looking to be that much of a better player than Telfair is?

I don't think that is the case. Particularly, when POR has Zach Randolph on the team.

I said it before and I'll say it here again....UNTIL Al Jefferson AVERAGES 20 & 10 in the NBA for a season, THEN we can talk \compare him to Telfair, AT THAT TIME. This whole notion of how Jefferson is a better player (and I am not sure this is the player you think POR should have taken Ed, or any other poster outside of tlong's blather for that matter) or "pick" than Telfair is bogus to me. He has done nothing to show that he was to date. He has had some impressive moments, hasn't Telfair as well? I sure think he (Telfair) has.

Look at UTA, they took Snyder & Humphries, I wouldn't want either of those guys. Josh Smith? Unless you count winning the slam dunk contest a big plus, I don't think he has been overly impressive for all the minutes he has gotten. JR Smith? Yeah, he has looked impressive at times, but THAT much better than Telfair? debatable IMO...

And how can you not say Khryapa wasn't a decent pick? More often than not, players picked this far down fail than succeed in the NBA. Khryapa was a good pick IMO. Monia we just don't know yet, although he was rated pretty much universally as a late lotto pick, and some teams did shy away b\c of his contract situation. He has been projected as a SG...I think the jury is out on this guy. We can only begin to rate him next year. Ha, as much as I think he is a big goof at this point, I see nothing wrong with taking a flyer on a 19yr old 7'3 uber-project. I'd say that is good use of a 2nd round pick. Nash did fine in the draft, better than most of his peers IMO. Hopefully that bodes well for this year.

BTW, I asked Nash in as general terms as possible, what he though about the european prospects (ie impact\star) potential, and while he didn't go into detail (and he cannot), I got the impresuion he thinks there is\are a few european players who can be impact\star players. Take that for whatever it is worth....Andrea Bargnani, Tiago Splitter, Nemanja Aleksandrov, Martynas Andriuskevicius. These are the guys I specifically mentioned to him, I wouldn't be necessarily surprised to see one of them as a Blazer next season, and the way the draft is looking it would make some sense.

As for Free Agency, I'd say he at least deserves a C, just for Pryzbilla alone, he failed at getting any other prospects though and effort doesn't count when you are playing with the big boys, only results do.

Trades, I agree he deserves an F, but has one "test" left to raise his grade, and he could raise it substantially if he can get something for NVE AND can orchestrate another trade or two involving a SAR and\or Damon, and if he can pawn...err...trade DA and\or Ruben and possibly Theo. He has his work cut out for him here BIG TIME, and I am not overly optimistic about his chances. But I am willing to let him ride out this offseason and see what he can do Last year's draft, Pryzbilla, and the prospect of future trades, warrant that much IMO. Let's see what his plan is this offseason...I don't think another GM could come in at this date and perorm miracles anyway.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
"Piss poor" was hyperbole, I admit. Call off the dogs. I'll adjust that statement with "nothing special to date".

He had three first round picks and none of them have showed themselves capable of contributing to a decent team (or decent NBA team, at least; CSKA is pretty good in Europe).

Nash, by his own admission, knew he wasn't going to get any help for the team this year out of the draft. It might turn out great in the long run, for sure, but this year the lack of quality additions from three first rounders doomed us to doormat status.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts