Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the best thing I have read in awhile - from today's O:

"Pritchard has conveyed a vision for the franchise while talking with an authority that goes beyond his duties as the team's director of player personnel. That vision includes a declaration that next season the Blazers will play an up-tempo, fast-break style similar to Seattle and Phoenix."

That really is great news. The smothering defense that has been so prevelant in the NBA the last few years, along with isolation 2 man plays and the vaunted Triangle has made the game a big bore.

Phoenix and Seattle play the game the way it should be played, the way I would LOVE to see the Blazers play. And with Telfair, Outlaw, and Miles on the court, there is no reason for us not to play that way next year.

Bravo!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I love the idea...now we need 3-5 high quality shooters.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
The best part of the read is ..."With Telfair Miles and Outlaw on the court..." that's all I needed to hear.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Stevenson said:
Phoenix and Seattle play the game the way it should be played, the way I would LOVE to see the Blazers play. And with Telfair, Outlaw, and Miles on the court, there is no reason for us not to play that way next year.
Phoenix and Seattle generally have at least three shooters on the floor at a time. THAT fact, and not their tempo, is what has vaulted them to where they are now.

Outlaw is showing that he's developing a nice midrange game, and Telfair and Miles have both showed flashes of that, as well, but none of them are near the level of shooters that Seattle (with Ridnour/Allen/Lewis/Radmanovich) or Phoenix (with Nash/Johnson/Richardson) have.

Good article, and good to see that Pritchard has a plan, but I'm not convinced that running with a bunch of athletes will work... and I'm not sure how we're going to remake our roster to get the shooters needed to make an offensively focused team (rather than a defensively focused one) work.

Ed O.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
This makes me think it is more likely that we will bring in Marc Iavaroni to be the next head coach....

He is one of the main figure heads behind the Suns recent uptempo success..

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
As a supporting cast, Pritchard wants rugged, get-on-the-floor, grinders -- guys in the mold of Madsen and Brian Cardinal -- who can toughen and push Randolph in practice and give the slick, high octane team some brawn and substance
I like that idea....Maybe someone like that who can put some spark into Zach..

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
This makes me think it is more likely that we will bring in Marc Iavaroni to be the next head coach....

He is one of the main figure heads behind the Suns recent uptempo success..
:no: Damon Stoudamire says this team can not afford to hire a college coach or an assitant according to his Sports Sunday interview...... :rofl:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
:no: Damon Stoudamire says this team can not afford to hire a college coach or an assitant according to his Sports Sunday interview...... :rofl:
Damon will also be out of town in a month or two so it wont really matter....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Same genius that flies with weed wrapped in tin foil.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I agree with the consensus here that the overall shooting needs to greatly improve...

However, I don't think we're as far off as some think. The improvement that Outlaw and Telfair have been showing is very encouraging and I wouldn't be surprised if they come back next year as solid outside shooters. These are guys you know will be working on their shots in the offseason... Miles, hopefully, but I don't know if you can totally count on him.

Other than that, if you put in a shooting guard who can shoot - like Green, or a top player from a trade, or possibly even Monia - the overall shooting will improve.

I really think that in-house improvement combined with a good pickup will elevate the shooting and overall team confidence immensely. When you look at NBA teams that shoot great from 3, there are usually only 1-2 guys who could go into any system and be a great 3-point shooter. The other guys feed off of that...

For instance, I think if you brought in Ray Allen, everyone elses 3-point shooting would improve due to the perimeter defense focusing on Allen and just the contagiousness of good shooting.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I also wanted to say that defense is where the uptempo style has to start...

so having a bunch of long athletic guys who can lock guys up will create a lot of easy scores. The shooting will be key in any tempo, but without having an elite defense, you won't contend.

Phoenix's defense is really overlooked, I think. With the exception of Nash, there is a lot of defensive talent there - especially with Marion and Johnson.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Think you could be seeing DMiles and Patterson at the 4 ala Shawn Marion? They're probably two of the players most similar to him in the league.

Telfair/Deron Williams
Monya/Deron Williams/Salim Stoudamire
Outlaw/Khryapa
Miles/Randolph/Patterson
Joel/Ratliff/Ha

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
no salim midgets must go and no way would portland pick up another stoudamire with even more attitude

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think it's strange that the Player Personnel Director publicly has a "vision for the future" in the first place. Shouldn't the president and general manager be the ones to have that vision?

I don't know what, if anything, qualifies Pritchard to be GM, but he sure talks a much better game than Nash does.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I'm getting bored with all the "I have a vision" talk. I'll start believing it - and getting excited about it - when I see it on the court next season. And for that to happen, the Blazers are going to need a very active off-season. And until then, it's all just talk - and I'm not all that impressed. I hope I will be next season.

PBF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts