Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To take the minds away from the blazers B&B(bad and boring) season, lets look to the summer when they have a chance to address their needs.

Let Sheed walk.

Top nominies

Brent Barry
Rashard Lewis
Jason Terry
Quentin Richardson

They'll probably have to trade to find a decent center by the start of next season.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Barry and Lewis would be sweet to sign if we could...

but I doubt very much we can sign Lewis since we will nto be under the cap, and Barry we might be able to get for the MLE

Jason Terry already signed with Atlanta this year...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Key free agents that the blazers should look to sign next summer

Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!

He's not a FA until 2007/08 (I think)...
Oops, my fault I got all the info off of hoopshype.com

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
That looks like a good site T-Bob. According to that site, a list of notable players would be...

FA's:
Gordan Giricek
Marcus Fizer
Mehmet Okur
Kenny Anderson
Manu Ginobili
Keon Clark
Vlade Divac
Brent Barry

Player option FA's:
Kurt Thomas
Stephen Jackson
Steve Nash
Marcus Camby
Kobe Bryant
Derek Fisher
Karl Malone
Gary Payton

RFA's: (guys from the '00 draft)
Kenyon Martin
Darius Miles
Stromile Swift
Quentin Richardson
Keyon Dooling
Jamal Crawford

Could be interesting if some of those guys opt out of their contracts. Some of those RFA's will be signed to offer sheets too. :yes:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hoopshype is notoriously bad with their year to year info. This year is generally correct. But their info on length of contracts is awful. I'd suggest checking out the Realgm Free Agent List for 2005 since that's when we'll actually have useful cap space.

I do have one complaint about this site though. They list guys whose rookie contracts expire the previous year as free agents. This would be the case if each and every one of them took the one year qualifying offer. The only guy I can remember doing that was Olowokandi.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
That has to be one of the saddest [unrestricted] free agent classes in years. Good thing we're in no real position to sign any of them.

Dan

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
No doubt. The thing is, both Okur, Giricek and Ginobili are actually RESTRICTED free agents (since they've each only played 2 NBA seasons) which weakens the talent base even more.

Another thing: in spite of his warts, does anyone think a team with lots of cap space won't offer a decent chunk of money to Rasheed Wallace? Maybe a team like Utah wouldn't, because of their longstanding character emphasis (Stevenson notwithstanding), but a team like Denver? If Kobe doesn't want their money, they might just throw it at Rasheed rather than keeping it in their pocket another year.

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I say that we try and get Brent Barry with the MLE, if the Sonics aren't going to re-sign him.

He's a better PG than Damon, and he's actually a better role player than anyone we have now.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
I say that we try and get Brent Barry with the MLE, if the Sonics aren't going to re-sign him.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Brent wind up in Denver with brother Jon. He would be able to blend nicely with Carmelo and Andre. And he would step into the SG position there which is a bit questionable IMO.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

He's a better PG than Damon, and he's actually a better role player than anyone we have now.
Thats right Hap, if were lucky Barry might come to Portland fairly cheap. He is a great outside threat too. Now if Vlade would sign cheap here in Portland we would have a bandaide on our boo boo's. I know how much you love Vlade Divac! :D

He would be an upgrade as Portland starts rebuilding and that is why he might no want to come here, but it would be nice to have a center, playing center in Portland for once! :laugh:

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
What I like about Brent is that though he has a sweet stroke, he's a pass first guy who'll keep the ball moving, which is something this team desparately needs. I think he'll command pretty close to a full exemption.

Another guy I like who could be had relatively cheap is Brian Cardinal of the Warriors. I feel he'd be a good compliment guy between Rube and Zach in the size department, and would add a lot to the club with his solid fundamentals, high shooting percentage (49%FG, 89%FT, 43%3PT), and all out hustle. He and his game aren't the prettiest, but he has been very effective this season. I also think he'd be the perfect mentor for Travis to practice against and learn from. If he keeps it up the rest of the season he might be commanding close to a MLE too. I look for him to lose minutes as some of the higher priced Warriors come back from injuries.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3443

STOMP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts