Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that MJ is interested in Dooling. Does anyone know what he intends to offer for him? if MJ is healthy the Wiz's 2003 1st would probably work for both sides....any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
The Wizards are fine at PG, SG, and PF. Don't look for MJ to go after Dooling.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
The Wiz made a commitment to Hughes. Whether you think he can do it or not doesn't matter. That is who they are going to go with next year. Dooling is hardly someone the Wizards have targetted at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is the first I've heard of MJ having interest in Dooling. Keyon's a nice athlete, but he hasn't shown much on the court yet. As BCH pointed out, the Wizards have a three-year deal with Hughes, and he's going to be given every opportunity to win the job next season.

·
Registered
920 Posts
He's not a point guard. At Golden sate he was fine until they drafted Richardson and forced him to play point. He is no point guard. He doesn't have good enough court vision.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Malakian,

I don't think you followed Hughes enough to understand what he is capable of. I also don't think you have a firm enough grasp of what he will be asked to do with the Wizards.

I am not saying he will fail or suceed in DC but he has definitely shown what the Wizards are looking for him to provide.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!
Malakian,

I don't think you followed Hughes enough to understand what he is capable of. I also don't think you have a firm enough grasp of what he will be asked to do with the Wizards.

I am not saying he will fail or suceed in DC but he has definitely shown what the Wizards are looking for him to provide.
If the Wiz are intent on Hughes being a premium, traditional PG, they are in for a rude awakening. He's best (don't laugh) as a scorer. He's had FG% problems, but with Jordan and Rip on the floor at the same time, he'll have many opps to drop in points.

Yeah---he'll be a PG---but it will be more like Harper was a PG in the championship days, than what we see, say, Bibby or Kidd providing.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The Wizard Master is here.

Why go after Dooling? Not proven! While Larry Hughes has actually done sumthing in this league. Hughes can drop in sum points, but he doesn't have to be a Jason Kidd. He isn't gonna be a superstar, we just want him and dixon to drop in points and a few assists.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gettinbranded</b>!

If the Wiz are intent on Hughes being a premium, traditional PG, they are in for a rude awakening. He's best (don't laugh) as a scorer. He's had FG% problems, but with Jordan and Rip on the floor at the same time, he'll have many opps to drop in points.

Yeah---he'll be a PG---but it will be more like Harper was a PG in the championship days, than what we see, say, Bibby or Kidd providing.
The Wiz play a modified triangle offense that doesn't use a traditional PG. Hughes will be asked to play more of a Ron Harper-type PG role with ball handling duties shared with the SG and the SF.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by <b>WizardsKev</b>!

The Wiz play a modified triangle offense that doesn't use a traditional PG. Hughes will be asked to play more of a Ron Harper-type PG role with ball handling duties shared with the SG and the SF.
Bingo. GS asked Hughes to be a traditional pg, which he is not. In DC, his role will be more Harper-esque.

Hopefully if Hughes can bury the open looks he'll be getting (ala Whitney), he can be a huge asset to this team. If not, Juan to the rescue. :)

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I think Hughes will do more of the penetrating that Whitney could not. This will open up dishes to the post as well as open shots for Rip.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>WizardsKev</b>!

Hughes will be asked to play more of a Ron Harper-type PG role with ball handling duties shared with the SG and the SF.
Isn't that what I said?
:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
As a Mizzou fan, I regret to inform Dooling fans that I think he's a poor man's Jamal Crawford. He was fun to watch at Missouri, but we were shocked went pro and shocked he got drafted so high. He also had some maturity issues, at one point crying on the bench when Norm Stewart (old-school coach before Quin Snyder) took him to task.

Keyon has alot of talent, is athletic, and can shoot. He can even shoot some Jordanesque fadaways. But he's not a good enough defender to be a SG, and he's not the greatest ball handler or assist man. He's a combo guard, without some of the natural PG instincts Crawford seems to have.

Hughes, on the other hand, has the size and strength to defend SG and even some small SF, along with the speed to defend alot of PG's. He's a great pickup for the Wizards as a do-it-all guard. Only problem is he's not a good shooter and shoots at bad times.
But he has a ton of talent. Much more then Dooling. Larry is a throughbred, Dooling isn't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts