Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KFXX reported at 11:17 that Dallas has made another offer today and they are very close to a deal. If true, that would lead me to believe the deal we heard last night wasn't good enough. Maybe Howard and a pick got added and Wahad got replaced with someone else.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
No specifics?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Walker + Najera? + Howard?

Jamison?

just toss out names and see who lands upright

We can afford to wait it out. Dallas has some really bad contracts. Getting Sheeds exp contract is a big plus... getting some of their talent back is a good possibility

reducing salaries is a very BIG deal in terms of length in years...

Walkers has 2 years left going to Sheeds 1 is a better deal for them. Walker is a decent passer

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Dirk and Tariq.

Just for the heck of it.

Dallas clears out Tariq and is left with a core featuring Jamieson, Wallace, and Walker. Gives them some felexibility to resign Nash this summer.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Here's a list of guys that I do not see Dallas trading for Rasheed:

Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Josh Howard
Antoine Walker

Nash is their PG, and leader of the team. Dirk is supposedly their superstar, Josh Howard is their best on-ball defender, and Antoine, well, they seem to like Antoine for some reason.

Maybe Portland can acquire the under-achieving Finley, who I think is a problem for Dallas.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Please only Nash if anyone...

Sheed + McInnis = Nash + Howard + ?

or could a guy dream?

Sheed + Damon = Nash + Wahad + ?

I dunno - just riffin'

Dear lord does Dallas have some bad contracts. No wonder they want to make a deal with Portland. I wouldn't take any bad contracts from Dallas unless I got Nash and/or Nowitsky in the deal...

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Nash is way off salary wis from Sheed. He is at aroun5.8 mil whic would mean about 11 mill or so in filler for Dallas.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
Here's a list of guys that I do not see Dallas trading for Rasheed:

Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Josh Howard
Antoine Walker
If that is the case, here is a list of guys I do not see Portland trading to Dallas:

Rasheed Wallace

Why should we trade our best player and/or enormous cap relief for their crap?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
"Here's a list of guys that I do not see Dallas trading for Rasheed:

Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Josh Howard
Antoine Walker
So our best player can't even fetch one of the top 4 players on the Mavericks? Bah humbug! I can definitely see Dallas giving us either Howard or Walker, or both. You have to give up something pretty good to get a player with Wallace's talent, even if he is a knucklehead.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
BTW I know my Dirk deal is a far stretch, but at this point who knows.
Ah, Schilly... you're just bringing up images of sweets that might end up making the lemon Nash gives us taste all the more sour.

If we could get our mitts on either of Nash or Dirk (and keep ZR) I think it would be a clear win for Portland.

If we take back Wahad or Jamison without sending salaries back to Dallas (DA/RP/Damon) then it's a clear loss for Portland, IMO.

I don't see a clear win happening, but I see a clear loss as being very possible and I'm a little scared that it's going to happen.

Ed O.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
well, they seem to like Antoine for some reason.
I can see them trading Walker. I don't think Nelson or his teammates are happy with the fact he's shooting 41% (28% from downtown) but takes more shots then anyone else on the team and keeps throwing up 3's. He's free throwing shooting has also lost them a couple of games already this year.

Maybe Portland can acquire the under-achieving Finley, who I think is a problem for Dallas.
under-achiving? He's putting up smiler numbers to last year and the year before except for PPG and shots per game. Both of those are down because they have Walker & Jamison now.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
If that's true, then you're saying that our best player can't even fetch one of the top 4 players on the Mavericks. That's pretty pathetic.
Why is that pathetic? I wasn't saying those 4 players were better than Rasheed, BTW, so I don't know why that is pathetic.

If the Mavs trade Howard at this point they are stupid. He is their best defender already, and probably even their best rebounder, and he is cheap for the next 4 years. Nash isn't better than Rasheed either, but who will play point for the Mavs if they trade him? Tony Delk? Yeah, that will make them better. Dirk is better than Rasheed, plus Dirk is locked up over 4 or 5 more years.

Dallas won't trade valuable players for half-a-season bargain with Rasheed. What are the chances Rasheed will stay in Dallas and accept the MLE?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
But they're not going to get a deal done if they don't offer someone of value...

Offering large, long, awful contracts for a top power forward isn't going to get it done. If you trade away your best player, you need to get back something at a position of NEED, prospects, or a player of similar ability...

You don't just get to give up everything you don't want and get back what you want.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
under-achiving? He's putting up smiler numbers to last year and the year before except for PPG and shots per game. Both of those are down because they have Walker & Jamison now.
Finley is under-acheiving IMO. The guy is making a max contract, and he is not that good in my opinion. Plus, this guy was an all-star a few years back, and he has degressed over the years. Out of the big three(Nash, Nowitzki, Finley), Finley is by far the most expendable, because he can be replaced.(Howard)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts