Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight's game is all the proof I need....there's still 40.3 secs left so maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I don't think he's ever really stepped up in a big game, consistently anyways.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well he did score straight after. It was a 3 point play too.

Still though, you're right, he should have hit that little baby hook. As the commentators said, he would hit that around 80% of the time.

He wasn't particularly good tonight in the clutch, but other games that I have watched him he's been ok. I'd probably hesitate to call him either clutch or a choker. He seems to be about half-way on the scale.

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
You must be joking...seriously...league MVP's ARE NOT chokers to start with...and are you forgetting the playoffs last year ? The regular season win against the Kings where he was playing center and still hit 2 three's straight to set up an overtime win ? All that while pulling down 25 rebounds and scoring 33 ? Don't make me laugh. He's more clutch than 99% of the league and he has nothing to prove. He scores when they need him to and he takes over when the Wolves need it. They might have lost but that's just because of the bonehead three Cassel chucked up instead of calling a time out. KG had a monster 4th quarter.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
One on One said:
but I don't think he's ever really stepped up in a big game, consistently anyways.
What does this mean exactly???

Go ask Kings fans about the 4th qt of game 7 of last year

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't mean he's a Peja Stojakovic level choker, but it's not like he's knocked down a ton of clutch shots. He's a top 5 player, but there's about 25 guys in the league I'd rather have with the ball in their hands and the clock winding down.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There's alot of things that I wanna say right now, but I've took enough punishment out on my laserpoint, chair, desk, and door the past 5 minutes, and I'll just simply politely say you have no clue what you're talking about.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Well, he still "chipped in" with 26 points, 16 rebounds, and 7 assists, while three of his starters combined for much less than what he did himself.

Hudson/Hassell/Olowokandi: 14 points, 6 assists, 12 rebounds, 4/17 from the field.

Hey, I've been saying all year long that KG is not completely excusable from blame, but as long as bums like Hudson, Hassell, and Olowokandi are all starting along side him, he'll never be back to the Western Conference Finals.

Minnesota got to the line twice as much as Denver and still couldn't pull it out. Oh well, too little too late. It's not official yet, but I don't see Memphis choking away a playoff spot.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sam Cassell screams CANCER when he's out there. Just the way he plays. And he blew that game and the season for you all with that awful shot.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Garnett had a great game today, and was ok in the 4th quarter.

I noticed he did one thing that would put him closer to Duncan in the eyes of many people here, and that is he operated much closer to the basket. He really took it to Camby and Kmart with an array of spin moves, baby hooks and bank moves. Unfortunately he couldn't translate this to a nice FG%, but the consideration was there.

The other facets of his game, namely assists and rebounds were superb as usual. However, his shooting wasn't that great. 8/19 isn't that great. He missed 3 or 4 of those Camby style front-on jumpers. He missed two late in the 4th, which he should have made, as he was open, or not attempted in the first place. He also missed that "sitter" in the final minute.

Again though, he cannot be faulted much for tonight's performance. It also isn't fair to slam Sam, because he was the one who got them back in to the match anyways.

Denver just played superbly, and was not going to lose that match. I've been saying it for a long time, but Andre Miller is a very good player. Camby too. I'm not a big fan of Kmart, but he was insane today. Perhaps it has a little to do with the play of Miller, considering how effective Kmart was last year with Kidd.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Garnett plays at the same level from beginning to end. Things he does in the first quarter, he'll do in the fourth quarter at the same level. By the same logic, things he can't do in the first quarter, he still can't do in the fourth quarter. This isn't choking. Shaq missing free throws down the stretch isn't choking, players don't magically patch up all their weaknesses and things they can't do and become perfect. Garnett does his thing in fourth quarter and down the stretch at the same level he does it in the first three quarters. Point blank.

The "clutch" myth is one of the biggest in NBA history.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sir Patchwork said:
Garnett plays at the same level from beginning to end. Things he does in the first quarter, he'll do in the fourth quarter at the same level. By the same logic, things he can't do in the first quarter, he still can't do in the fourth quarter. This isn't choking. Shaq missing free throws down the stretch isn't choking, players don't magically patch up all their weaknesses and things they can't do and become perfect. Garnett does his thing in fourth quarter and down the stretch at the same level he does it in the first three quarters. Point blank.

I agree with what you say about Garnett, but Clutch is no myth. It's easy to see who has tight elbows down the stretch and who thrives in the moment.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:

Yeah that's true.

Your opinion about clutch is an interesting one. Let me ask you, do you also believe that "choking" is a misnomer?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
One on One said:
I agree with what you say about Garnett, but Clutch is no myth. It's easy to see who has tight elbows down the stretch and who thrives in the moment.
If a player's game suddenly lights up in the "clutch", wouldn't that mean he wasn't putting 100% effort the whole way there? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sherwin said:
If a player's game suddenly lights up in the "clutch", wouldn't that mean he wasn't putting 100% effort the whole way there? Just a thought.
No, clutch isn't about effort. It's about nerves. A good shooter throws up an airball in the clutch because he's thinking too much and his elbow tightens up under the anxiety. It's about being cool under pressure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What sickens me, is that Sam, and Spree are almost 100% to blame for the Wolves collapse. I am not a fan of the Wolves, nor am I that big of a fan of KG. But, without hesitation will I say that the man is amazing, and doesn't deserve to have half-assed players surrounding him, making ludicris statments about how much money they "need".

I f were a wolves fan, I would be just disgusted with those two, and give them away for a bag of donuts.

Mchale, and KG need to be appluaded for THIER effort, and everyone, including Mr. "passion" himslef Kandi needs to be shipped out of town.

I never realized how much I dislike Spree, and Sam untill I watch them play. Just losers, to the extreme.

I really, really feel bad for Wolves fans, becuase as a Piston fan, I LOVE how our team is one-for-all, and all-for-one. I would lose my damn mind if I had to watch perhaps the best player in the game, bieng kept down by the two ankle wieghts, sam, and spree.

Sorry Wolves fans, and here's to hoping you can rid yourselves of those two burdens.

·
Registered
347 Posts
sherwin said:
No buddy. That implies simple linearity in performance, and we all know that pressure changes the situation. Pressure being the score and more importantly the time remaining on the clock.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
BBALLSCIENCES said:
No buddy. That implies simple linearity in performance, and we all know that pressure changes the situation.
No, we don't all "know" that. Some claim it, because it makes a good story, but others see that players tend to succeed and fail in the clutch about as often as they succeed and fail at any other time.

Jordan wasn't better under pressure. He was simply the best player at any time, so there's no surprise that he was great in pressure situations.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts