Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, the best off-season moves that Thorn/Stefanski made were passing on the likes of SAR and Swift. The second was picking up McGinnis, Padgett & Jackson and then re-upping on Planinic and adding depth in the way of Murray and LJIII. They didn't get a KG, but they improved the team immensely.

Biggest mistake was not re-upping Scalabrine early for less before Boston made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Of course, they may not then have signed Padgett, but wouldn't it be nice if they had both Veal and Padgett? Veal was the difference for the NETS in their 15-4 season ending run that VC-Kidd carried them to.

For my part KG, who hasn't carried his teams to a title like Jabbar, may not be the difference maker for the NETS at his price. He may be an overpriced headache - whining stat player. The only deal making any sense would be a first round pick or two and possibly VC (or RJ) & Collins or M-Jax.

I'd prefer to go two first rounders, Kidd & Collins for KG, but I doubt it'd fly. Then we'd need to rely on McGinnis, Vaughn and Planinic until we could secure a top-flight PG in the draft. Realistically, we need Kidd at PG and he may be the reason KG wants to come over. KG at any price doesn't make sense. Moreover, when you put two aging high-priced players together that are buddies, there's no guarantee of results. Superstar teams don't always win the title. In fact, rarely, if ever! I'd rather see Padgett at the 4 the entire season and I think he could win a title with them. Pick up Wilcox (needs some fixin') and/or Ely for insurance (if Padgett & M-Jax don't work out - heck Veal did!) and you have as good a chance for less cap-killing dough. Snag Lampe for peanuts while you're at it and you have the makings of a powerhouse. You end up getting younger with a more manageable payroll. Why tie up the payroll to 'kingdom come' unduly?

You might sweeten it with Wright or so, but that's about it. I wouldn't give up anything else like the teams depth or Illic & Krstic. On the other hand, you can pick up Wilcox and Ely for less and the end-result (post-season runs at the title) may be about the same. If KG really wants to play with his buddy Kidd, then he can force a trade to the NETS for peanuts like Shaq did to Miami. If not, the NETS don't need another SAR scenario. End of Discussion. :boohoo:

All that glitters is not gold in the FA market.

SAR so far hasn't been a difference-maker that's helped the team he's joined much. He was too much of a risk ... and wouldn't be a difference-maker for the NETS in the regular or post-season. On top of it, he was too costly and wouldn't allow the NETS to acquire him without giving up assets. Obviously, he more wanted to be in Sacramento - where he is - and, of course, the Kings weren't forced to part with a first rounder or pay more than the MLE. If SAR wanted to be in NJ he would've compromised to give them the same deal the Kings got.

Swift, so far, has proven to be the run-jump athlete with a limited offensive game. Not worth the MLE in other words.

Reactions:

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heck, I'd rather trade VC straight up for LeBron James. Why not take advantage of Rapper "Z" filial ties? Kidd & KG are about the same salary and closest in age. Why not a first round pick, Kidd & Collins or M-Jax for KG? This is contingent on the NETS acquiring Deron Williams to replace J-Kidd for something within reason.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
NBASCOUT2005 said:
First off, the best off-season moves that Thorn/Stefanski made were passing on the likes of SAR and Swift. The second was picking up McGinnis, Padgett & Jackson and then re-upping on Planinic and adding depth in the way of Murray and LJIII. They didn't get a KG, but they improved the team immensely.

Biggest mistake was not re-upping Scalabrine early for less before Boston made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Of course, they may not then have signed Padgett, but wouldn't it be nice if they had both Veal and Padgett? Veal was the difference for the NETS in their 15-4 season ending run that VC-Kidd carried them to.
I don't think Veal would had resigned, I think he went to Boston with the illusions of more playing time.

For my part KG, who hasn't carried his teams to a title like Jabbar, may not be the difference maker for the NETS at his price. He may be an overpriced headache - whining stat player. The only deal making any sense would be a first round pick or two and possibly VC (or RJ) & Collins or M-Jax.

I'd prefer to go two first rounders, Kidd & Collins for KG, but I doubt it'd fly. Then we'd need to rely on McGinnis, Vaughn and Planinic until we could secure a top-flight PG in the draft. Realistically, we need Kidd at PG and he may be the reason KG wants to come over. KG at any price doesn't make sense. Moreover, when you put two aging high-priced players together that are buddies, there's no guarantee of results. Superstar teams don't always win the title. In fact, rarely, if ever! I'd rather see Padgett at the 4 the entire season and I think he could win a title with them. Pick up Wilcox (needs some fixin') and/or Ely for Insurance and you have as good a chance for less cap-killing dough.

You might sweeten it with Wright or so, but that's about it. I wouldn't give up anything else like the teams depth or Illic & Krstic. On the other hand, you can pick up Wilcox and Ely for less and the end-result (post-season runs at the title) may be about the same. If KG really wants to play with his buddy Kidd, then he can force a trade to the NETS for peanuts like Shaq did to Miami. If not, the NETS don't need another SAR scenario. End of Discussion. :boohoo:
Now I know I'm not the GM but I would considering trading Kidd way before RJ.

All that glitters is not gold in the FA market.

SAR so far hasn't been a difference-maker that's helped the team he's joined much. He was too much of a risk ... and wouldn't be a difference-maker for the NETS in the regular or post-season. On top of it, he was too costly and wouldn't allow the NETS to acquire him without giving up assets. Obviously, he more wanted to be in Sacramento - where he is - and, of course, the Kings weren't forced to part with a first rounder or pay more than the MLE. If SAR wanted to be in NJ he would've compromised to give them the same deal the Kings got.

Swift, so far, has proven to be the run-jump athlete with a limited offensive game. Not worth the MLE in other words.
Was Thorn willing to budge off his deal? In the end he got a much better deal from the Kings.

-Petey

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Lebron doesn't look so good on ESPN right now against Orlando, shooting too many shots and he travels every time he gets the ball

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In pondering possible KG scenarios, I'm impelled to think that VC is more valuable to a club than RJ. He carried the Raptors with and without his cousin T-Mac. True, he's more a half-court player than RJ, yet he still carried the NETS offensively in last years' season-ending 15-4 run. Has RJ ever done the same? On the other hand, RJ has shown vast improvement this season with his long-range shooting and overall play. RJ may be blooming into the all-star instead of the wannabe. He's also younger and tied up longer. Keep 'em both if they'll coexist and Carter will extend. Actually, M-Jax, Collins & Cliffy add up to about $13.5mil in salary. Throw in two first round picks and possibly Wright or other spare parts to spice it up and you can find a salary numbers match within the percentage to exchange for Garnett. Heck, what did the Lakers get for Shaq? Squat! Odom & Butler? Certainly not Wade! Shaq stipulated the terms of the deal by intoning he wasn't going to a stripped down team (Miami), either! If overpriced, bloated contract, potential head-case KG is comin' to play with Kidd, then he can stipulate the same!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts