Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing blockbuster, but Heat finally signed their 2nd round 2001 pick Ken Johnson who will fight over the center spot with others already under contract... last year I think he was in Europe and the CBA. Anyone with more info on this fella?

-Petey

·
Registered
546 Posts
I can just say that kj played very badlyin summerleague .
He was one of the worst in the summerleague roster.

Even with Zo out i think he has no chance makin the team with Marks , Stepania and Ernest Brown still in front of him.

He will fail i'm sure about that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Johnson is 4th All Time in the NCAA Career Blocked shots list behind Adonal Foyel, Alonzo Mourning and Tim Duncan. But he has not shown any skills in all the chances that have been given to him. I feel that Ernest Brown, a similar player, will outplay him.

Khalid El Amin will be basically fighting with Mike James for a roster spot. El Amin is definately a better distributor than James. But James is a better offensive player and has a better range. It will be a tight contest.

My 15 Man roster would be

C- GRANT, Stepania, Brown
PF- ELLIS, Marks, Allen
SF- BUTLER, Butler
SG- JONES, House, Recker
PG- BEST, Carter, James

One spot will be filled by an FA.

·
Registered
239 Posts
honestly looking at our roster ! i'm really wooried about the heat this season ! but for sure ! i'll be with them n matter what happens this season ! i just hope they will go to the playoffs ! man heat all the way !

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have not too much hope that we make the play-offs this season.

My hope is that this year will be a great year for all of our young players to get playing time and develop.

If we make the playoffs - fine.
If not we'll get another good lottery pick , we'll get another good free agent , the younger players are maybe better and Zo comes back.

I don't expect too much this season but next year will be good i think.

G

·
We're rebuilding and it will shock me if we even are one of the contenders for the 8th and final spot for the playoffs. We just needs to try to gel our team together and look forward to the future. Guys like Caron Butler, Eddie House, Rasual Butler should be our main focus trying to improve them and maybe in the long run we'll be pretty good.

Other then that, we just have to sitback, play basketball let time go by and hope for the best. :heart:

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
no way...
u think riley is gonna support failure?
he is a winner and whatever anyone says, he will win.
honestly, u guys or anyone u know. who would have thought that 2 years ago the heat would win 50 games?

this year is no different.
we don't have mason, that's true.
nor do we have Hardaway.
But Bets is not too far off from tim, and the addition of Caron Butler way outweighs anthony mason in any way we wanna look at it.
with riley we never know, im not thinking about 50 W's but i definately see us in the playoffs.
:rbanana: :gbanana: :banana: :wbanana: :bbanana: :cbanana: :vbanana:
these bananas are so cool

·
Registered
966 Posts
ive gotta agree with chris

Even though the heat is my team, I still try and be unbiased. Looking at it from a leauge perspective, and seeing the competition they are up, there is no way they are gonna get an 8th seed...just look

nets..i hope we agree
hornets..ranked very high on almost every poll
pacers...mark my words, this team will go very far, deep at every position and could dominate the heat.
detroit...defending central champs, more vulnerable than most think though. still better than the heat.
magic...hill is actually well, and even without him a tough team
boston...they are better than the heat, no matter how u look at it, peirce and walker are just too good
miluake...or however u spell it, lol, they wont fall apart again
philly...they might not make the playoffs but they are better than the heat at every position
atlanta...i dont think they are gonna make the playoffs, but in a best of 7 game they can take the heat.
toronto...vince is ready to lead and dominate again, even without him they are better than the heat though.

so what teams are the heat better then???

well, here are a couple maybe's...

washington...depends on jordan and the totally new starting 5, i would rather have wiz tho.
new york...this team and the heat are very similar, unfortunatly, they have no present or future hope. they had a good past however. possibly in 7 or 8 years this team can compete, but it has just too many overpaid players
clevland...they want to loose to get a high draft spot
chicago...wow, this team will be really good in a couple years. at the present it might even be able to take the heat, depending on how the young players step up. however you look at this team, they are no more than even with the heat.

so that sums it up, the heat are looking at being 11/15, not high enough for playoffs, not low enough for a great draft pick. it will be many many years before this team will be ready to compete unfortunatly. what we do have is luck, and hopefully its gonna be good luck, cuz thats about all we have.:cry:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't see the things too worse .

Ok i think we will maybe not make the play-offs again but if not we''ll get another lottery pick .
Maybe Zo comes back and he will accept a much lower contract (i believe he could sign for min.) then we can go for a good free agent and our young players had one year to develop.

We could be back next year i think.

And i don't see the raps make the play offs along with philly and milwaukee will have a horrible season in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
come on....
there is one thing u guys are missing out....
we got one thing that no other team has:
pat riley

he can get the best out of every player just like he did 2 years ago
and then i believe we los to the hornets because when zo came back, the chemistry was broken and we could not get the flow we had during the season.
PLZ dont interpret it as Zo is no good, because he's my number 1 player.
but u cant add a leader during a season and hope the chemistry will stay the same.

i have confidence in pat, and am optimistic about our playoff hopes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
the one person i dislike most on the heat is pat riley. im sorry, but he is not a savior in my book. hes what has hurt the heat imo. hes a negative not a positive

·
Registered
70 Posts
Prediction about Heat impossible at this stage

It is very difficult to predict that Miami will make the playoffs as it is difficult to predict that Miami will not make the playoffs.

Miami has many unknown entities in the team. Caron Butler, Rasual Butler, Sean Marks, Malik Allen, Luke Recker, Ernest Brown, Khalid El Amin, Mike James, Ken Johnson, Sean Lampley. Out of these 10 players some have played little and some have played no NBA minutes.

We never know how these players are going to develop. The positive development of these players is a key to Miami's sucesses.

Whatever happens, Miami will play its trademark watertight defense. We will be in the top 5 in the league in defense.

Brian Grant will thrive at center. Last season everybody was baying for his blood forgetting convieniently that he had admirably filled in for ZO, in the 2000-01 season. Grant was carrying a toe and a shoulder injury last season. He is very healthy now. Look for him to make an impact this season. There is a reason why Riley has not tried to trade him.

Eddie Jones will be the focal point of Riley's new perimeter based offense. I think he will score 20ppg this season.

Travis Best will have to play like he never did. Iam still dissapointed Strickland was not signed. Rod knew the offense so well. But Best is definately more athletic and has a longer range.

This is a season full of uncertainities. The only thing certain is that Pat Riley will make the players work their butts off.

With everyone underestimating the Heat and all the unknown entities in the roster, Miami has the element of surprise. Hopefully Miami can suprise a few teams, make a great start and reach the playoffs.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Joker</b>!
come on....
there is one thing u guys are missing out....
we got one thing that no other team has:
pat riley

he can get the best out of every player just like he did 2 years ago
Yeah, that's why he's lead the Knicks and the Heat to so many NBA Championships! :rolleyes:

Riley is past his prime, he's no longer one of the best coaches in the NBA. It's time to step down now, while he still has his pride.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
what do u call stepping in miami and creating out of nothing a playoffs team.

what do u call getting .600 wins thru a season with BG, mason, EJ, Bowen, and Hardaway, noting that EJ dislocated his shoulder (if i remember well) and hardaway missing many games due to injuries.

what do u call Mason getting 15-10 and becoming a good ball player under riley and dropping do almost nothing under karl?

what do u call the model behavior and exceptional play of strickland under riley where he was signed for the minimum because no one dared to coach him.

how can u say that riley is past his prime???????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts