Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Khryapa situation PISSING ME OFF!

788 views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  chula vista blazer 
#1 · (Edited)
I understand that we're overloaded at SF right now and that Khryapa is the low man on the totem pole, but that doesn't keep the fact that he's not playing AT ALL (and wasn't even introduced as a reserve during the home opener) from pissing me off.

Khryapa could very well be our #2 SF behind Miles, but we'll never know it because he's getting absolutely ZERO playing time. This is the guy who OWNED Kobe during the season finale last year (earning a pull up from the floor and an "atta boy" from Kobe himself), who is one of our smartest players, whose game is perhaps the most well-rounded of ALL our current players, and who Nate himself praised during pre-season camp.

So what happened? Are the Blazers showcasing Ruben and/or Outlaw for trade? Did Khryapa do something to tick Nate off (which I would be shocked to hear)? Or is Khryapa really just our #4 SF (another thing I would be shocked to hear)?

PLAY KHRYAPA, DAMMIT!!!

:curse:

PBF
PS: Am I the only one who cares about Khryapa not playing?

See less See more
#3 ·
ProudBFan said:
So what happened? Are the Blazers showcasing Ruben and/or Outlaw for trade? Did Khryapa do something to tick Nate off (which I would be shocked to hear)? Or is Khryapa really just our #4 SF (another thing I would be shocked to hear)?

PS: Am I the only one who cares about Khryapa not playing?
I would also like to see Khryapa play. At the end of last season he showed he was a real glue guy. I think one of two things is going on. First, they are showcasing Ruben for a trade. Although, they are also making a good case for keeping him by the way he is playing. Second, it appears, as someone in the press suggested, that Nate is starting off by giving the vets a chance to lose their role in the lineup. If and when they fall off (Charles Smith?) someone else (Monia) will be given a chance.

The only thing I can't figure out is why Khryapa isn't getting Outlaw's minutes. Unless they are trying to showcase Outlaw too. Khryapa's only real problem is that he is so unselfish and such a team player, that he doesn't try and score enough. I see Khryapa as the third SF behind Miles and Rube. Outlaw could pass him some day, but right now Khryapa is the man. I'm hoping he will get his chance soon--and when he does, TAKE A SHOT NOW AND THEN VIKTOR!!!!!

#4 ·
There's no room for Khryapa right now. Darius and Zach are playing great and Ruben's skills are needed on the floor.

Frankly I don't think he's that great. A nice all around player but nothing special. He doesn't provide anything that Monia, Webster, Miles, Zach, Ruben and Theo can't provide. He's only in his second year and I see no need to rush him along. He's not going to make a huge impact on our win total.

Nate said that he will get his chance. At this point I have 100% faith in what Nate is doing.

#6 ·
I don't necessarily think anybody in particular should be traded, I think this is one decision that as normal, we have to trust Nate and the management team to steer the team in the right direction. If and when a trade goes down, I am sure after the last few years that management is aware that the trades will be scrutinized to ensure a Jermain Oneal situation is avoided at all costs. If this means keeping a player on the inactive list while taking the time to develope them, so be it. If it means showcasing the right player in order to alleviate a log jam, so be it. It is when management is impatient and pulls the trigger on a bad deal that we, the fans end up paying, and often, paying for years. Nobody on this team is "Untradeable", and I would have to believe with this many players on the roster, that Portland if anything, is looking to trade several players for one superstar quality player, or looking to shed contract money so they can keep the team they have intact and let some chemistry develope.

#7 ·
Why is anyone surprised at this? We knew going into the season that we were overloaded at SF, and that one or more of our youngsters was going to get the shaft. You HAVE to play RP right now, for many reasons. 1) He's playing well. 2) We're trying to unload him which we'll NEVER be able to do if we bury him on the end of the bench. 3) He's the best perimeter defender we have. 4) He's one of our only vets with experience right now. I don't like it either . . . I wish we could just trade the guy already. It will happen, especially if he keeps playing like he did last night. The game last night is a perfect example. The Knicks, who reportedly want RP, limp out of the Rose Garden at 0-4 and Rube was a big part of the 2nd half spark that helped the Blazers win.

#10 ·
Reep said:
The only thing I can't figure out is why Khryapa isn't getting Outlaw's minutes. Unless they are trying to showcase Outlaw too. Khryapa's only real problem is that he is so unselfish and such a team player, that he doesn't try and score enough. I see Khryapa as the third SF behind Miles and Rube. Outlaw could pass him some day, but right now Khryapa is the man. I'm hoping he will get his chance soon--and when he does, TAKE A SHOT NOW AND THEN VIKTOR!!!!!
Showcasing Outlaw? He's played 10 minutes all year!! And that was in one game!! I don't think they want to give up on Travis just yet, but I do think they are dissapointed in him so far. Aren't we all? He doesn't seemed to have made any progress. Then again, I'm only basing that on the 10 minutes he played in Denver when he looked terrible. He's still really young. People forget that when they label him "dumb as a rock".

#11 ·
Goldmember said:
There's no room for Khryapa right now. Darius and Zach are playing great and Ruben's skills are needed on the floor.

Frankly I don't think he's that great. A nice all around player but nothing special. He doesn't provide anything that Monia, Webster, Miles, Zach, Ruben and Theo can't provide. He's only in his second year and I see no need to rush him along. He's not going to make a huge impact on our win total.

Nate said that he will get his chance. At this point I have 100% faith in what Nate is doing.
Great post and I agree 100%.

#12 ·
showcasing Rubin and Nate already knows what he has with Viktor, I would give Viktor dixon's spot and sit dixon.

#13 ·
kaydow said:
Showcasing Outlaw? He's played 10 minutes all year!! And that was in one game!! I don't think they want to give up on Travis just yet, but I do think they are dissapointed in him so far. Aren't we all? He doesn't seemed to have made any progress. Then again, I'm only basing that on the 10 minutes he played in Denver when he looked terrible. He's still really young. People forget that when they label him "dumb as a rock".
Outlaw is exactly like Jermaine was. I remember thinking "He just isn't smart enough" so we should move him because he will never get it. Now, I'm not a real Jermaine fan, and I'm not going to speculate if he is really a great player, or is just in a system that allows him to generate good numbers. But, he is clearly a major contributor to a good team. Outlaw looks lost just like Jermaine did when he was here. So, unless there is something seriously wrong with Outlaw's intellect that we don't know about, I think he has to stick around for a few more years before you give up on him. That is, unless you can get some good young talent, at a more useful position, in return.

#14 ·
Bah, PBF.. You just want him to play to help boost your fan club.. ;)

#15 ·
Reep said:
Outlaw is exactly like Jermaine was. I remember thinking "He just isn't smart enough" so we should move him because he will never get it. Now, I'm not a real Jermaine fan, and I'm not going to speculate if he is really a great player, or is just in a system that allows him to generate good numbers. But, he is clearly a major contributor to a good team. Outlaw looks lost just like Jermaine did when he was here. So, unless there is something seriously wrong with Outlaw's intellect that we don't know about, I think he has to stick around for a few more years before you give up on him. That is, unless you can get some good young talent, at a more useful position, in return.
I agree Reep, well said. J. O'Neil is a good example. I don't know that people thought he was dumb, but clueless and overwhelmed on the court? Yes! I'm not as worried about Outlaw's intelligence as I am his confidence. He looked humiliated against Atlanta, sitting behind the bench in a suit. I would hope that this would light a fire under his ***, but I worry it could set him back.

#16 ·
Even if Kryapa was on the active roster he probably would have only received the 10 minutes that Outlaw has played. It's not like Ruben's playing a TON of minutes either. He's only playing 20 minutes a game. Thus far Ruben is averaging the least amount of minutes he's had since his rookie season. So there are probably people that would say Ruben deserves to be playing more minutes too.

A normal team has two guys at each position that get minutes. The two guys at the 3 that are getting minutes are Miles and Patterson. Those two guys have been doing a hell of a job at the 3. I would never have guessed we'd be 2-2 at this point in the season. I would have maybe thought we'd be 1-3. Those two guys have had a HUGE impact on both wins. If you took them out of those games and put in Kryapa you might have lost those games. You can't fault Nate for trying to win games.

#17 ·
Utherhimo said:
showcasing Rubin and Nate already knows what he has with Viktor, I would give Viktor dixon's spot and sit dixon.

I agree 110%..... Khryapa can play the 4, and takes intelligent shots. Dixon just stinks up the place so far.

We see what Monia can do for the team... and its possible we can get Monia and Khryapa on the floor at the same time.

I want to see these 12 play
PG Telfair, Jack
SG Monia, Webster, Smith
SF Miles, Ruben, Outlaw
PF Randolph, Khryapa
C Przybilla, Ratliff

INACTIVE
Dixon, Blake, HA

#18 ·
PBF- I feel your pain!

I like Khryapa alot too. I can only hope Nate knows what he's doing and that they ARE showcasing Ruben and others. We have -way- too many SF's and this is one casualty of that mess.

#19 ·
I would like to see Viktor play too. Problem is, I can't justify who's minutes to cut . Miles needs to play around 35 min. Rube needs to get his. Viktor can probably backup Zach, but even at that spot Rube is probably more effective than Viktor. Since we are supposed to develop our young players this season, I would like to see Viktor get Ruben's minutes. But I can understand why Nate would play Rube over Viktor. Rube is probably the more productive player right now, not by much though.

#20 ·
Although I'm not dismissing the speculation that we might be showcasing Ruben, I don't really understand the reasoning behind it. Teams now what Ruben brings. He's been in the league 8 years, and his game has been steadily the same every season. And, he's been healthy throughout his career, so health isn't a concern where we'd need to play him to show that he's healthy. I think it's more likely that Nate wants to win, and he feels that Ruben can help the team more than Viktor can at this point.

#21 ·
Viktor is sitting because Nate knows he's a keeper. Simple as that.

Soon as he's seen enough of Dixon, Smith, Blake, and Webster he'll play him.

The stated plan for now is to sort out the keepers.

I think Monia (also a keeper) would still be sitting if Dixon, Smith, Blake or Webster had played better. Nate brought him in out of necessity and out of embarassment.

#22 ·
BuckW4GM said:
Although I'm not dismissing the speculation that we might be showcasing Ruben, I don't really understand the reasoning behind it. Teams now what Ruben brings. He's been in the league 8 years, and his game has been steadily the same every season. And, he's been healthy throughout his career, so health isn't a concern where we'd need to play him to show that he's healthy. I think it's more likely that Nate wants to win, and he feels that Ruben can help the team more than Viktor can at this point.
I agree completely with you. We showcased Ruben enough last year- what would be the point of doing more this year? I think Nate just likes Ruben.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.