Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason Kidd told the New York Post that he is playing out the season under the belief that Richard Jefferson will be unable to return.

"I don't foresee RJ coming back," Kidd said. "You've got to go with the team you have. I've been in this situation once before with Penny [Hardaway] in Phoenix. Especially in this part of the season, to count on one person coming back, that's a lot to ask from one guy."

Jefferson still believes that he will be able to play again this season, in an attempt to help the Nets reach the playoffs.

"Of course. Those are my plans," said Jefferson, who underwent left-wrist surgery Jan. 20. "That's what I'm working every day toward. That's what I'm pushing myself toward. If it doesn't happen, it won't be because I didn't try. It's because my body didn't allow it."

http://newyorkpost.com/sports/nets/41575.htm

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yeah, Kidd's got it right. They can't rely on RJ coming back and then let their own play weaken. Everyone needs to play as if this is their last chance.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
Yeah, I think its just his way of getting the team to not bank on him being there.

On top of that, even if he does come back, no matter when, he will not be in game shape and will be really rusty in every respect.

I think he would hurt more than help at first.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Possibly, but I think it would definitely help to have him coming in off the bench if we do make it to the play-offs. Even if he can't do a whole lot and can only play a couple minutes, the other teams defense will still have to worry about him, which only helps Kidd and Carter.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
BigThree said:
Possibly, but I think it would definitely help to have him coming in off the bench if we do make it to the play-offs. Even if he can't do a whole lot and can only play a couple minutes, the other teams defense will still have to worry about him, which only helps Kidd and Carter.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. I would not want RJ starting and messing up whatever delicate balance we have now with the current starting 5. It took so long for them to kind of get it together.

Right now, when Kidd sits, VC is on the floor, and vice versa. Lawrence always has one of them out there with the bench. It would be nice if RJ was part of that bench, so at any given time, there woudl be 2 of the big 3 out there at once.

I think that was the theory behind Jamison and Stackhouse coming off the bench in Dallas. You could no longer match scrub to scrub if there is an All Star coming off the bench. Hopefully the All Star can take advantage of the scrubs in the case of RJ...

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
PSUmtj112 said:
Kidd is basically saying you cannot hang your hat on RJ coming back and I agree with him. What if the Nets did rely on RJ coming back and he doesn't make it? Is it all over?

Heck no and that is what Kidd is saying.
I agree wholeheartedly with your interpretation.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
If that is how he feels, maybe that is why their play has gotten better?

-Petey

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
uptown4784 said:
I was listening to L.Frank on Espn Radio, he said there is a long shot that RJ be back by playoffs
That hurts to hear, but Lawrence isn't a doctor. Have any formal declarations by RJ or his physician been made? I would really like an update of how his physical training is going. Is he practicing with the team at all?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
would you want him to come back? i mean he could hurt if he comes back too early

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
adarsh1 said:
would you want him to come back? i mean he could hurt if he comes back too early

One thing we all know, it'll be hard to keep RJ from playing if we do get to the play-offs. I think a lot of it depends on which spot we get in the play-offs too.
If we allow him to play, we'd definitely have to be careful with him so that he doesn't reinjure the wrist. I don't think he would play a whole lot, probably just enough to pose a threat to the other team. He'll be rusty, but it would give the other team another player to worry about, and open up things for Kidd and Carter. That's my take on it. :)

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
PetroToZoran said:
Did they take the screws out of his wrist, or are they leaving those in?
Not sure, I think Zoran had practices with them in for some time...

-Petey

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
RJ is a competitor. I think he's going to play if we're in the playoff running in a week or so. If not, I expect him to take it slow and rest it up (Not returning).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts