Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nenad is the best center he has ever played with...

http://www.nj.com/nets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1143870951166770.xml&coll=1

Kidd conceded the obvious yesterday -- that Nenad Krstic is the best big man he has ever played with.

"He is the best at that position because he is only 22 years old," Kidd said. "Zo (Alonzo Mourning) was older, Dikembe (Mutombo) was older. Todd (MacCulloch) was pretty good for us, but Curly passes Todd."

The Krstic picture is coming into focus for a lot of them now.

"When you consider the age of the other dominant centers in this league -- Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan -- those guys are getting up there," Jefferson said. "If you have a young big like a Dwight Howard or Krstic, you have to think you have one of the better centers in the game in three or four years."

"You see glimpses of a young Vlade (Divac)," Kidd said. "He's able to extend the defense and now he's getting double-teamed. At 22 years old, that is impressive."

· Registered
1,047 Posts
It's awesome to hear the Nets players high on Kurly now too. Kidd's right - being able to draw double teams and play like his is at 22, that IS impressive. And RJ's got a good a point as well. Kurly and Howard are the up-and-coming big men. I can't wait. :banana:

Reactions: justasking?

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Nenad and Mourning were close, but you have to give the the edge to the younger guy.

He's still a ways from Divac. Gotta become at least a proficient passer (he was doing nothing through double teams yesterday) and learn to use that left hand. His post moves are way too predictable right now.

· Registered
703 Posts
He's still a ways from Divac. Gotta become at least a proficient passer (he was doing nothing through double teams yesterday) and learn to use that left hand. His post moves are way too predictable right now.
I disagree. As of now, Nenad is scoring extremely efficiently in the post. He is getting his shot off just fine. When the time comes that he has difficulty getting off his shots in the post, then he should vary his game down there a little bit more.

· Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rollydog said:
Nenad and Mourning were close, but you have to give the the edge to the younger guy.

So predictable he has been averaging 16 ppg during the streak.

Let's examine Vlade's first two years vs. Nenad's first two years [same age at the time 21/22]:

9.8 ppg vs. 11.6 ppg

7.2 ppg vs. 5.7 ppg

1.0 apg vs. 1.1 apg

1.5 bpg vs. .80

634-1186 53.4% vs. 661-1330 49.7%

5-19 26.3% vs. 0-4 00.0%

Vlade's teammates: Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Byron Scott.

Nenad's teammates: Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson.

So we can see that Nenad's first two years are quite comparable to Vlade's. He scores a little more, rebounds a little less, shoots a little less accurately, passes about the same.

No one is comparing Krstic to Divac when he was in his prime. But at this point in their careers, the comparison is quite valid.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
agilic said:
I disagree. As of now, Nenad is scoring extremely efficiently in the post. He is getting his shot off just fine. When the time comes that he has difficulty getting off his shots in the post, then he should vary his game down there a little bit more.
Since he always goes right it's easy for guys like Zaza to just position themselves to his right- and then he just runs into them. This also leads to his shot getting blocked a ton, 17% of his attempts on the interior are stuffed. Compare that to Duncan who has just 7% of his shots blocked with more defensive attention being given to him. His overall percentage of makes on the interior is just 49%, which is low for a "low post presence". I attribute his recent offensive surge to superior jumpshooting above all else.

· Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rollydog said:
Since he always goes right it's easy for guys like Zaza to just position themselves to his right- and then he just runs into them. This also leads to his shot getting blocked a ton, 17% of his attempts on the interior are stuffed. Compare that to Duncan who has just 7% of his shots blocked with more defensive attention being given to him. His overall percentage of makes on the interior is just 49%, which is low for a "low post presence". I attribute his recent offensive surge to superior jumpshooting above all else.
If you wish to focus on the negatives, you are indeed entitled to do so. But I choose to focus on the facts that 1] big men develop later than smaller players in the NBA and 2] international players develop later than American players in the NBA...and yet in spite of both of those things, he has become a force in the league at the age of 22. It is rare indeed. His development, if not his specific skills, is on the same schedule as other international players, particularly big men, who have joined the NBA in recent years, including Divac, Nowitzki and Stojakovic. He averaged more points per game than any of them did in his rookie year. He is a much better all around player today than he was at the beginning of the year.

I also very much like the idea that people compare Mile Ilic to him.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
NetIncome said:
So predictable he has been averaging 16 ppg during the streak.

Let's examine Vlade's first two years vs. Nenad's first two years [same age at the time 21/22]:

9.8 ppg vs. 11.6 ppg

7.2 ppg vs. 5.7 ppg

1.0 apg vs. 1.1 apg

1.5 bpg vs. .80

634-1186 53.4% vs. 661-1330 49.7%

5-19 26.3% vs. 0-4 00.0%

Vlade's teammates: Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Byron Scott.

Nenad's teammates: Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson.

So we can see that Nenad's first two years are quite comparable to Vlade's. He scores a little more, rebounds a little less, shoots a little less accurately, passes about the same.

No one is comparing Krstic to Divac when he was in his prime. But at this point in their careers, the comparison is quite valid.
Keep in mind Vlade was playing 5-6 mpg less than Nenad.

Stats aren't always representative of players' true abilities. Points, assists, rebounds can be garnered in different ways. And the two players in question just seem different. Nenad hasn't demonstrated incredible court vision; it might just be me but players don't seem to greatly improve this area of their game. If Krstic works hard he could become a Duncan level passer, but Vlade was on a completely different level. Just a singular player in that regard, and it's not really a disservice to Nenad to say that. Vlade was also, as I've noted previously, more athletic and big than Nenad, which explains the increased rebounds and blocked shots.

Krstic is/was a much better shooter than Vlade. If Vlade could shoot like that, I'm sure you'd find his offensive numbers to be far inflated.

I think Nenad is tougher and has more work ethic so I see his post game developing, albeit in a different way than Vlade's finesse one.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
NetIncome said:
If you wish to focus on the negatives, you are indeed entitled to do so. But I choose to focus on the facts that 1] big men develop later than smaller players in the NBA and 2] international players develop later than American players in the NBA...and yet in spite of both of those things, he has become a force in the league at the age of 22. It is rare indeed. His development, if not his specific skills, is on the same schedule as other international players, particularly big men, who have joined the NBA in recent years, including Divac, Nowitzki and Stojakovic. He averaged more points per game than any of them did in his rookie year. He is a much better all around player today than he was at the beginning of the year.

I'll take a break from my cynicism.

If Nenad can play at this level with all of the [highly correctable] flaws I've pointed out, imagine how good he'll be when he fixes them!

· Registered
6,449 Posts
Nenad is very smart & has good awareness in the post. I love it when he has his back to the basket on the low blocks & he unexpectedly spins baseline & totally beat his man for an easy layin or dunk. His defenders are always fooled by that. Nenad doesn't look like the quickest big guy out there but he's getting better & better @ beating his man off the dribble & his post moves are impressive for his age. Bill Cartwright is doing something right. Hey that rhymes.

Reactions: justasking?

· Registered
1,047 Posts
NetIncome said:

I can't imagine having two Nenads. If he has the kind of work ethic Krstic does, that's awesome. Now that'd be heaven. Teams would be getting double renowned. :wlift: ;)

· Banned
57,945 Posts
netsgiants said:
Dwight Howard is going to be so good.
He's good already.

He has developed insaningly quick.

-Petey

· Registered
6,449 Posts
Petey said:
He's good already.

He has developed insaningly quick.

-Petey
Insaningly eh? :raised_ey

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.