Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is every saying this si the best trade ever for the nets and teh worst for the suns? WOW! Kidd led the nets to the finals in the very weak east. Congrats to him! When, he had better records with the suns. Kidd did nothing different for the nets than witht eh suns. Secondly, ITS ONE YEAR! The are rebuilding and wanted to build for the future, and get younger. Well guess what Marbury is younger and has more potential than kidd. Kidd cant get much better than he is which marbury can. Marbury has a very very dangerous offensive game and can be that go to guy the suns so despertly needed. Plus, it wasnt all marburys fault we went down teh hill. We lost Cliff Robinson who was a very underrated part of the success we had.

Now the suns have a very bright future in marbury, marion, johnson, and stoudemire. We are now very athletic and promising. So, in two years when teh suns are going to the playoffs and the nets loose kidd and are back at teh bottom of the lottery, you can then say what you think of the trade.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I Think Marbury is as good as he'll ever be. When i first found out about the trade i thought it seemed even but as we saw last year, Kidd brings what it takes to win to teams. I will not even deny marbury's talent but the best situation he ever was in was in Minnesota. I think the Wolves were just a couple roll players away from having a great team with a chance to win a title. One thing the suns have goin for them is that Marbury and Marion are young but they are veterans, if amare turns out to be a great player then this team will be dangerous in about 3 years and can contend for a ring.

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
Marbury will never be even close to as good as Kidd... he just dosen't have the natural talent (vision-wise).

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
i'm not going to even discuss my opinion of marbury, but i will say that the nets won't be at a loss at the end of the season because kidd is staying in jersey...

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I find it kind of funny how so many people suddenly became kidd fans last year as well, he's good, but not signifcantly better then stephon... and in a year or two, you'll probalby view the trade differently

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KennethTo</b>!
I find it kind of funny how so many people suddenly became kidd fans last year
true, but i, personally, have been a kidd fan for about 9 years already...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Kidd has already achieved something, Marbury didn't. Kidd is a team player, Marbury is not, yet. Those are basically their difference. Talk about what you want with Marbury's potential, people will not think he's as good or better as Kidd until he actually leads his team deep into the playoffs. Like I always said, don't put too much hype on 'potentials', a injury or two will completely ripoff your potentials (See Penny and Gugliotta).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, sadly your right Mightyred, the penny hardaway trade ended up as stupid, but gugliotta is jsut bad luck. Still, dont view this trade lobsided yet. Also, I am also happy for kidd to finally get teh recognition he deserves. While he was with the suns, he did just as good as he did with teh nets, but it was overlooked because he could never get past the first round in the very tough west.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think Kidd did last season with the Nets what he had been doing in previous seasons in the Suns. It just happens that the East is really weak, and that is the main reason for Nets success. I mean, Kidd is a great player, but far from being anywere near of MVP level. So my opinion is that he is a little bit overrated.

As for Marbury, he has proved last seasons that he is not a good PG, not being able to carry his team to the playoffs, neither in Phoenix nor in New Jersey. Sure he has talent and offensive skills, but he is not capable of leading a team, at least not right now. So, in my opinion, he is way overrated.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Stephon is a great player, but not that good of a PG. The suns can't make the playoffs unless Stephon becomes a better PG. The west is tough, and Stephon has to play better than Kidd to carry his team to the playoffs.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Just because Marbury has 20ppg average for his career doesn't take away from the 9apg he's had as well. He's proven he can do both well, and has maintained a good assist record as well. So to say he is not a team player, well, is No masking, Thanks Aquaitious

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
His high assist total is deceiving because Marbury often looks to score and only passes at the last second. He makes a lot of jumping passes (looked to shot but couldn't).

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
His high assist total is deceiving because Marbury often looks to score and only passes at the last second. He makes a lot of jumping passes (looked to shot but couldn't).
what's wrong with a jumping pass as long as the points get scored? marbury is a very good player. kidd is a little bit better. kidd plays more of a team game than marbury. but there is a downside because kidd relies on other people to take over games. marbury can get hot and carry his team but when kidd passes to the open man they have to make their shot for him to be effective. but they are both good and should fit well with their teams. i think it's a good trade for both sides.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I'm a Marbury fan, and even I don't think he's THAT good of a PG, especially when you're comparing him to Kidd. When are people going to learn that stats LIE? Just because a player has better stats doesn't make him a better player. I love the way Marbury plays, but unlike Kidd, he's unable to bring out the best in his team mates. This is what separates a mediocre PG from a great PG.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
marbury may have 9ast /game, but he certainly looks to pass first.
why wont the suns put hardaway at the point like he was with the magic, and marbury at the sg?

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
kidd proved himself with nj last season while marbury did not. i know the injury takes away from talent but marbury is still hurting. his offensive skills and athleticism are superior but kidd is top three point guards in the league and that is hard to compare to. the suns are building very well and i'm routing for them but i'd have to say that nj got the best of this trade by far.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Plus Marbury absolutely sucks in fast break situations, that's one of the many reasons Byron Scott wanted to trade him for Kidd.

The transition game is escential for a great PG to have and unfortunately Marbury doesn't.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Kidd looks to pass first because he isn't that good of a shooter, same reason marc jackson always passed first :p

Stephon's scoring ability draws more defensive attention and helps his passing game. If stephon was a pass first PG, it would take away from his passing effectiveness. same applies to a guy like francis.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I think it all comes down to this:

Kidd has been in the league longer, and has had more experience. Every single one of his passes shows off how good he is. His time is running out, though. He's near the end of his prime.

Marbury has the talent and skills, but he still has a lot to learn. Marbury is still young, Kidd is not. The suns see that and they traded Kidd, whom is on his last leg, for Marbury, whom is still in his early prime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts