Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's Star-Ledger:

Jason Kidd quietly passed another major milestone Tuesday at Cleveland. When the Nets' star grabbed two rebounds, that put him over 5,000 for his career, making him only the fourth player in history to accumulate 7,000 rebounds and 5,000 assists. And the other three are all Hall-of-Fame point guards.

PLAYER: ASSISTS AND REBOUNDS:

Magic Johnson: 10,141 and 6,559

Oscar Robertson: 7,804 and 9,987

Lenny Wilkens: 7,211 and 5,030

Jason Kidd: 7,209 and 5,001

-----------------------------------

He is now No. 10 all time in assists, two shy of Lenny Wilkens for 9th place all-time. Also, he needs 3 steals to pass Mark Jackson and join the top 20 in that category. Both could happen in the first half tonight.

Was there actually a DEBATE here yesterday about Kidd being a first ballot Hall of Famer?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Well the geniuses at Mike and the Mad Dog were debating if he retired now would he be 1st ballot HOF. I know without a doubt he is.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
amazing, just simply amazing. i've never seen a any guard, let alone a point guard be as good of a rebounder as jason is. if the nba had more players who took after jason the league would be better off and more competitive.

& yes he is a 1st ballot HOF'er w/o a doubt.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
NetIncome said:
Today's Star-Ledger:

Jason Kidd quietly passed another major milestone Tuesday at Cleveland. When the Nets' star grabbed two rebounds, that put him over 5,000 for his career, making him only the fourth player in history to accumulate 7,000 rebounds and 5,000 assists. And the other three are all Hall-of-Fame point guards.

PLAYER: ASSISTS AND REBOUNDS:

Magic Johnson: 10,141 and 6,559

Oscar Robertson: 7,804 and 9,987

Lenny Wilkens: 7,211 and 5,030

Jason Kidd: 7,209 and 5,001

-----------------------------------

He is now No. 10 all time in assists, two shy of Lenny Wilkens for 9th place all-time. Also, he needs 3 steals to pass Mark Jackson and join the top 20 in that category. Both could happen in the first half tonight.

Was there actually a DEBATE here yesterday about Kidd being a first ballot Hall of Famer?
That is what I said, without a doubt, he's a 1st ballot HOFer.

-Petey

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
NetsanityJoe said:
amazing, just simply amazing. i've never seen a any guard, let alone a point guard be as good of a rebounder as jason is. if the nba had more players who took after jason the league would be better off and more competitive.

Ummm, the Big O was a better rebounder and played the point as well as off guard.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
NetsanityJoe said:

Jason getting rebounds is a product of the offense. He is a runner and teams design concepts around him to get the ball and go. He is still very good at getting to it, but that is why the bigs don't get as many boards. They are doing a lot of blocking out to let Jkidd get it and.

The Nets biggest problem is when other teams fill the lanes before the guards and we are basically blocking out for the other team to get the offensive rebound. That is when they need to adjust and the bigs need to step up and get the board.

And he should be a 1st ballot HOFer. Will that happen? Who knows with that crazy system.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Netted- said:
Jason getting rebounds is a product of the offense. He is a runner and teams design concepts around him to get the ball and go. He is still very good at getting to it, but that is why the bigs don't get as many boards. They are doing a lot of blocking out to let Jkidd get it and.
So then Marion is just a super beast? Cause as a SF, playing with Kidd I recall he had double digit averages in boards.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Netted- said:

The Nets biggest problem is when other teams fill the lanes before the guards and we are basically blocking out for the other team to get the offensive rebound. That is when they need to adjust and the bigs need to step up and get the board.

And he should be a 1st ballot HOFer. Will that happen? Who knows with that crazy system.
I don't think that's so. Either the bigs get the board and IMMEDIATELY pass it out to Kidd, or he gets the ball himself and goes. Kidd attacks the glass because he's decent sized enough to do so and plus he knows when he gets it, everyone better be on their guard to go.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
cpawfan said:
Ummm, the Big O was a better rebounder and played the point as well as off guard.
Yep, and does anyone remember Fat Lever? Another 6'3ish guy who used to grab boards with the best of them.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
I am going to put some info re. Kidd's triple-doubles that I recently came across.

Year-by-year progression

Season TDs
94-95: 4*
95-96 : 9 (League Leader G Hill:10)
96-97 : 2 (LL: G Hill: 13)
97-98 : 4 (LL G Hill: 5)
98-99 : 7*
99-00 : 5*
00-01 : 7*
01-02 : 8*
02-03 : 5 (LL KG: 6)
03-04 : 9*