Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In today's CT Post.....

"Jennifer Rizzotti has finally accepted an open invitation made by UConn coach Geno Auriemma years ago. Whenever Rizzotti,the former Husky who is in her fifth season as the head coach at Hartford,thought the time was right,Auriemma said he'd be happy to work out a deal to play.The time is apparently right for Rizzotti....She has approached Auriemma and a game at the Hartford Civic Center is being finalized for next season."

"Now it's about finding the dates and making sure it works for both of us," Auriemma said."I'll be excited because I know Jennifer will be excited.It will be pretty cool for both of us,our team and no question for her kids. What other team in their league will be able to tell a recruit we're going to play in front of 16,000 people? And knowing Jennifer,she'll say we're going to beat their (butts)."

The real exciting thing about this Hartford women's team is that they are a freshman and soph dominated team. They only have 1 senior. They also feel that next years recruiting class is potentially, by far, their best ever.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That's beyond cool. Auriemma and Connecticut have absolutely nothing to gain from playing Hartford and everything to lose -- particulary with the Hartford program having a great year and likely being even better next year, thanks to the fact that it's a young team.

Though many would argue it's a negative, I think Boheim in Syracuse deserves similar credit for being so willing to schedule schools like Albany and Binghamton year in and year out. Again, Syracuse doesn't gain a whole lot from playing these games, but they do loads to help newer programs like Albany and Bing's gain credibility and they can help build future regional rivalries.

On that note, the UConn/Hartford game will be great for Connecticut.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Al -

Pretty cool. NU is playing UConn in women's hoops next year as well, I'm told. Not sure if the game is at Gampel or at The Mall.

Did you see Sports Illustrated this week? It's "state of the week" is Connecticut and there's a great article on being a sports fan in Connecticut.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
The days of Maine and Vermont dominating the league like they did in the 90s is over. Rizzotti has built a great program in Hartford, and it should only get better. It will be interesting to see if the crowds at the Hartford womens games start outdrawing the mens team. That happened at both Maine and Vermont. Now the Vermont men are back on top in attendance and the Maine men and women are neck and neck.

·
Registered
970 Posts
You're right about the UMaine men and women drawing about the same MJeff. I still chuckle a bit at all the "Black Bears" fans who said during the post-Cindy afterglow that they'd become hooked on women's hoops and that it wasn't just Cindy. Well, that lasted all of a season and a half until the men's and women's crowds went back to being about the same. As you well know, it's all about winning these days. I heard someone say recently that fans no longer attend sporting events for the competitive aspect. "Winning," the person said, "IS the entertainment." To a great extent, I think that's an accurate reflection of the difference in the American sports fan from, say, 20-30 years ago, to today.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm

Originally posted by <b>Chet the Jet</b>!
You're right about the UMaine men and women drawing about the same MJeff. I still chuckle a bit at all the "Black Bears" fans who said during the post-Cindy afterglow that they'd become hooked on women's hoops and that it wasn't just Cindy. Well, that lasted all of a season and a half until the men's and women's crowds went back to being about the same. As you well know, it's all about winning these days. I heard someone say recently that fans no longer attend sporting events for the competitive aspect. "Winning," the person said, "IS the entertainment." To a great extent, I think that's an accurate reflection of the difference in the American sports fan from, say, 20-30 years ago, to today.
I always grew up being a sports fan(Knicks,Giants,Mets).Winning wasn't everything.I still loved every game win or lose. As I've gotten older(and more stodgy 41 year old) however ,winning has become even more important.I own a company and have a family and don't have time to follow the inept teams like I used to.Basically if they are not winning(ie: entertaining me) I just can't set aside the time. I couldn't even watch the Giant games this year and that has never happened to me before. As I am an avid Hartford fan I've obviously sat through MANY ugly seasons. I can honestly miss some games this year knowing that I'm not expecting a "winning" season. It's sad but such is life I guess.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Current stats

Originally posted by <b>mainejeff</b>!
The days of Maine and Vermont dominating the league like they did in the 90s is over. Rizzotti has built a great program in Hartford, and it should only get better. It will be interesting to see if the crowds at the Hartford womens games start outdrawing the mens team. That happened at both Maine and Vermont. Now the Vermont men are back on top in attendance and the Maine men and women are neck and neck.

Currently the avg crowd for the women is 882 and the men's is 1524.

The tide is shifting though and I think you are correct in that I think Rizzotti is going to change the trend.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to check that out

Originally posted by <b>NU Hoop Fan</b>!
Al -

Pretty cool. NU is playing UConn in women's hoops next year as well, I'm told. Not sure if the game is at Gampel or at The Mall.

Did you see Sports Illustrated this week? It's "state of the week" is Connecticut and there's a great article on being a sports fan in Connecticut.

I'll have to look at that issue.I always find CT to be an extremely unique state in terms of being a sports fan.Granted things are drastically different than when we were kids in CT(granted I think your a few years younger than I am) in that UConn was basically an avg sports school until 10-12 years ago. Kids growing up nowadays here (though there are still no professional CT sports teams) really can have a rooting interest in UConn in terms of a big time college program.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
You're quite generous when you say UConn was an average sports school when we were growing up (you've got 7-8 years on me). The only reason I followed UConn hoops as a kid was that Bob Dulin was a friend of the family and my mom had Earl Kelley as a student. Other than that there was NO real reason to follow UConn hoops.

Do you remember when they'd play Big East games in New Haven in hopes that they'd get a bigger crowd than at the Civic Center?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts