·
Banned
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Peja is a game time descion.

Prediction

Kings 116
Raptors 103

Raptors are better then there record, they have lost many close games so the Raps are always a threat. I want to see the kings attack early and try to put the ball game away by halftime.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bonzi Wells is nothing but a punk. I have no respect for that guy.

This is purely from a basketball fan's point of view because I'm not a fan of the Raptors and I definitely have nothing against the Kings.

Why would he elbow Araujo in the face like that? I can't believe he got away with it. You should be tossed for doing something like that. Especially since the only thing Araujo even did was box him out. He's playing hard in there and trying to be aggressive, not trying to hurt people, and Bonzi has to run up and elbow him in the face when he's not even looking? That's just disgusting and pathetic and I'd be ashamed to have a guy like that playing for my team.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First, on the Bonzi thing, he's the one guy on the Kings who never takes a play off. He's always ready to play and he plays hard. He did not do anything that guys don't do every night and he did not hit anybody with the elbow. If he did, he would probably been tossed. I play hoops and I know that you can get frustrated easily when playing and trying to win. I have no problems with Bonzi, he's so tough and he made the winning shot tonight.

As for the rest of the game...

The Kings played very poor defense tonight and they got LUCKY, really LUCKY they won. Their defense tonight was not very good most of the night. When they finally did commit themselves to defense, they started to pull close and eventually won. They need to do that MORE OFTEN.

To be honest, I thought the way the Kings did, Toronto sucks, so let them shoot, but they played really well and almost pulled it out. They have some good offensive players, but they play worse defense than the Kings!!!

Anyway, lucky win but we'll take it. One more for .500, wow (big deal)!!!

Again, the bench sucked, Kenny sucks, K-Mart did not do much, Jason did nothing on offense.

This team is just an average team at best. They have a very good starting 5, but with no bench and poor defense, I'm not even sure they will make the playoffs. Not from what I see so far this year. If we lost just a single starter with injuries, we're in deep do-do.

We need some shooters off the bench. We need to play hard defense every night.

·
Registered
445 Posts
ILoveTheKings said:
he did not hit anybody with the elbow
:rofl:

You can't be serious. You must have taken your eyes of the TV or something. Or perhaps they didn't show the replay on the Sacramento broadcast, since it would have made the team look bad, but the fact is it happened and it was completely unneccessary.

And give me a break man. You're not the only one here who plays hoops. I've seen people get kicked out of games for lesser offenses. I think it's fine that he hit the game winning shot and that he plays hard out there, but the fact is, he should have been tossed for that elbow. It wasn't even close to being accidental or within the flow of the game. He simply ran up to Hoffa and elbowed him in the chin. Totally ridiculous and uncalled for. Doing things like that will give you a bad reputation around the league (not that his reputation isn't bad enough as it is).

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Bonzi clearly swung his elbow into Hoff's chin. Big Hoff didn't budge but it was obviously an intentional, aggressive elbow. After the whistle, too. Miller hit him with one too but he got a personal foul rather than a tech.

I'm not one to get upset over that, though. It's a physical game. Maybe Hoff should've retaliated but it's better he didn't. Teams need to have ****-disturbers like Wells.

Anyways, good close game. Toronto keeps knocking on the door. Could've been their fifth or sixth win this season but things have been falling apart in the late fourth all year. Tough road swing so far.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
maKINGSofgreatness said:
Well, whether there was an elbow or not, it seems it wasn't on TV is Sac-town. I didn't see it. Some Kings were taking expection to hard fouls by Graham and Aruajo early in the game, so I wouldn't be surprised.
There was, no question. You don't have to wonder about it.

As for the hard fouls, it started when SAR almost submarined Joey Graham on his dunk attempt, grabbing on to Joey's jersey to prevent the foul from being a nasty one. No-call.

On the other end SAR went up for the dunk and Joey returned the favour, which caused a brief exchange of words.

Meanwhile Hoff and Miller were battling for position in the paint on both ends, exchanging shots.

But that's good basketball!

·
MANRAM!
18,056 Posts
All is Wells in the end: Sacramento guard hits the game-winning shot with two seconds left

"We didn't know that last play was going to Bonzi," Toronto coach Sam Mitchell said. "We were trying to stay home and guard our guys, but I wasn't in their huddle, (so) I didn't know the play was going to Bonzi." Nor did Wells.

"I was like the last option," said Wells, who had 18 points, nine rebounds, four assists and just one turnover. "Coach wanted Mike to look for the screen and roll first, and if you don't get that, you always look to the weak side."

There was nothing weak about Wells down the stretch. He grabbed a jump ball won by Francisco García that led to a Bibby three-pointer and the Kings' first lead in 13 minutes, capping a 12-2 run to put them up 102-100. He corralled a missed Bibby three-point attempt with 32 seconds left, then was fouled and hit both free throws for a 104-102 lead. In all, Wells had six points and four rebounds in the final 5:40.

The Kings played just enough defense in the last half quarter to avoid donating a second win to the struggling Raptors. For most of the evening, a Toronto squad that entered with one win in 12 tries and a 43.2 shooting percentage shot uncontested from most anywhere on the floor.

Brazilian big man Rafael Araujo tied his season high in points (eight) before the second quarter came, finishing with a career-high-tying 14. Point guard Mike James, forward Chris Bosh and Araujo reached double-digit scoring by halftime. The Raptors shot 55.7 percent through three quarters and led 85-82.

"For a while, it looked like (the win) wasn't going to happen," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "They were pretty much doing what they wanted to do."

But the Kings held the Raptors scoreless for nearly five minutes in the fourth, and Toronto hit just 8 of 21 shots in the final period.

"We toughened up a little bit, got some loose balls, got the rebounds," Bibby said.

In the second straight win, it was another all-starters outing for the Kings. García played well for the third straight game in his new starting role. The rookie's ability to stay out of foul trouble was helpful, considering the still-struggling Kings bench produced just 12 points. García had an as-advertised showing, filling up the stat sheet the way he did at Louisville with 13 points, six rebounds and three assists.

·
MANRAM!
18,056 Posts
Kings notes: Wells gets thrill from being toug

Bonzi Wells has some nasty to him, and he denies none of it.

The Kings guard has hustled inside to lead the club in rebounding, and he won't hesitate throwing an elbow into a guy who seconds earlier threw one into him. It happened with 4:37 to go in the third quarter Friday against the Toronto Raptors, when Wells and Rafael Araujo exchanged bumps. For a second, they went nose-to-sweaty nose, with that "You want some of me?" look. Nothing escalated, though both were tagged with a technical foul.

On the disagreement? "I like to disagree with guys," Wells said later, then chuckled. "Sometimes you've got to do things to rally your team.

"(Araujo) was being very aggressive (and threw an elbow). I don't take well to that. I let him know you can't be hitting me like that because I'm going to hit you back. I wanted to get in his face and let him know. He didn't hit me the rest of the game."

Wells relishes his role of banger and scrapper, and he knows his foes understand it.

"They used to read about me," he said of opponents. "Some of that is true. I used to be wild on the court. I'm headstrong. If a guy disrespects me, I go at him, in a good way. We'll be cool tomorrow."

·
Registered
993 Posts
According to the Bee, Hoffa threw an elbow first. But I'm sure Torono's saintly players would never do anything like that, and they were just playing good, clean basketball when Bonzi decided it was time for some people to get elbowed in the face. Guess he got the last laugh when he hit the game winning shot, though.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
maKINGSofgreatness said:
According to the Bee, Hoffa threw an elbow first. But I'm sure Torono's saintly players would never do anything like that, and they were just playing good, clean basketball when Bonzi decided it was time for some people to get elbowed in the face. Guess he got the last laugh when he hit the game winning shot, though.
yup

and I like this, finally our team has some fire/balls

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ya, I read that in the Bee too. Bonzi was just getting even, but he is lucky he did not get kicked out since the refs did not see that he got hit first. But seriously, if Bonzi would have hit with with an elbow hard, it would have knocked the dude to the ground. It was obviously just a "love tap".

In any case, it's freaking about time the Kings had somebody with some guts and toughness. Bonzi is no Ron Arest, but it's a start.

Speaking of Ron, how tough would this team be if we had traded Peja for Ron 1.5 years ago? Pretty tough, pretty tough. Anyway, don't want to go there...

But I like Bonzi. I now know why he has not been hitting his outside shot, he's got a trashed finger, it's messing with his shot. If he could begin to hit a better percentage of his outside shot, he'd be even more valuable. But his rebounding and toughness is a good start and he not afraid to take it to the hole!

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
maKINGSofgreatness said:
That article was the first to say it was instigated by Hoff, and in neither this thread nor ours did anyone notice before Bonzi threw the after the whistle shot.

Although it's completely possible that Hoff got him earlier in the game at some point. It's just that a Raptors fan would've pointed it out because we want Hoff to play that way, so to speak.

And who want's to play good clean basketball? Isn't that what the WNBA is?

And Bonzi's going to KO Hoff with that elbow? C'mon, Hoff's a beast. He ain't having that. ;)

Edit: after seeing it again, the Kings were moving in transition and Bonzi tried to go past Araujo in the paint. Araujo put his elbows up and brushed off Wells, who took a step back trying to draw the foul, but there was no call. The play ended quickly afterwards and Wells stepped up from behind and to the side of Araujo and put his elbow up but fanned past Araujo's chin, then words, and that was that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts