Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every week I'm going to make a thread with a Top 10 list of something wrestling related. Everyone can discuss/argue and share their own lists as well if they'd like. I know I've done a couple things that I said I would do weekly and then never did but this time I'm serious! Now for my first weekly top 10, I figured there's no better way to start then have my Top 10 Wrestlers of All-Time.

10. John Cena
Love him or hate him, he is one of the most accomplished and popular wrestlers of all-time. He's been the face of the WWE for almost a decade and has feuded with(and beaten)some of the biggest names to ever step in a ring. Although he isn't know for putting on 5 star matches, his mic work, look, charisma, popularity and accomplishments make him a Top 10 Wrestler imo.

9. Sting
Sting career has been a major success dating back to NWA all the way to his current days in TNA. Known as the "Franchise of WCW", Sting has been named "Most Popular Wrestler" by PWI a record 4 times. He's a 12 time heavyweight champion and has put on great matches every where he's been and is one of the most respected guys in the business. Another reason why he's in the Top 10 is he's always kept his character fresh by adding new unique elements and changing his "look" quite frequently. Sting is also the greatest wrestler to never step in a WWE ring.

8. Macho Man Randy Savage
Often immitated, but never duplicated, Randy Savage is one of the most popular wrestlers of all-time. As a heel or face, people paid to see Randy Savage perform. When it comes to this business, Savage had the full package. Savage never had a dull promo and could steal the show on any given night with his in-ring ability. Arguably the most entertaining wrestler to ever step in the ring.

7. Ric Flair
16-time World Heavyweight Champion. Nuff said! Woooo!

6. The Rock
The most electrifying man in all of entertainment is definitely The Rock. The man can use a microphone to work the crowd like nobody else and is one of the faces of the most popular eras in professional wrestling history, the Attitude Era. He accomplished everything a wrestler could even dream about accomplishing in the WWE and still to this day is one of the most popular superstars ever. Although not exactly considered a GREAT in-ring wrestler, The Rock had some of the most memorable matches in Wrestlemania history. The Rock is a lock on any Top 10 list.

5. Hulk Hogan
Hulk Hogan is the face of professional wrestling and always will be. Arguably the biggest draw of all-time, Hogan was always the #1 guy wherever he was. He pushed the WWF to the moon in the 80's and brought big time success in WCW and was one of the main reasons why they domianted the ratings war for so long. His charisma, popularity, look, and mic work are just as good if not better than anyone in the wrestling business. Although considered #1 on many lists, his poor in-ring wrestling sets him back in many peoples eyes and for that reason he is #5 on my list.

4. Shawn Michaels
Now the list starts to get difficult as everyone in the Top 5 can easily be considered #1 imo. Shawn Michaels is absolutely Mr.Wrestlemania. Nobody has had as many classic matches as HBK on the biggest stage of them all. With all that said, my main reason for having Shawn at #4 is that in my personal opinion, he was never the #1 guy in the company. After Hogan, Bret Hart was the face of WWE and after he left, I would say Austin was the #1 guy. Shawn was always a #2 at best even though he was one of the greatest all around performers ever. His longevity and major sucess has him at #4 but I personally think having him in the Top 3 would be pushing it.

3. Bret "The Hitman" Hart
In my opinion, Bret Hart is the greatest in-ring performer of all time. He had some of the most memorable feuds and carried the WWF on his back during some rough times in the business. He had many ups and downs in his career and I expect a lot of people to argue me having him at #3, but I believe it's right where he belongs. He was able to put on a good match with anyone and he was the face of the WWF(and arguably pro wrestling as well) in the early 90's.

2. The Undertaker

Without a doubt, the greatest gimmick/character in the history of professional wrestling. The Undertaker made a very unique gimmick work for decades without it ever getting old. Also for a guy his size, he could put on one hell of a match(even to this day). Add that to the fact he's the most respected wrestler ever in the business and he rightfully deserves to be at the #2 spot.

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin
Vince McMahon considers him the greatest superstar of all-time and so do I. The face of the attitude era, Austin carred the WWE on his back throughout the Monday Night Wars and his popularity is the #1 reason why the WWE is still alive today. You could argue that nobody made the WWE as much money as Austin as he is the most popular superstar of all time. He changed the business in many ways as being the first "heel" to be a fan favorite. Austin has also received some of the biggest pops in wrestling history. and without a doubt is the greatest wrestler of all-time.

Honorable Mentions: Triple H, Kurt Angle, Roddy Piper, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Edge

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mankind doesn't even get an honorable mention?

I hate even seeing Benoit's named mentioned with stuff like this. Smh.
Mankind is in my Top 20 but definitely not Top 10 or 15. And I think Benoit should burn in hell as well but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time. Their personal lives and what they do or have done off the TV screen isn't taken into consideration on this list.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
These are all very recent for this list to truly be all-time. If its a greatest that you've seen, I don't have much argument. All-time, you'd have to include Andre the Giant, Bruno Sammartino, and some of the Japanese guys (admittedly, I wouldn't go there in making a list as I don't know enough about them myself).

As far as guys that we've both seen, Edge is a massive omission from your honorable mentions. Angle and HHH go ahead of him, but that's it. He was very good in the ring and incredible on the mic regardless of what character he was playing. I wouldn't argue with who is in the top 10, but I'd put Flair ahead of the Rock and Hogan. As good on the mic as anyone when he's on and was also as good in the ring, despite his current status as an embarrassment.

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
Great list. Don't agree with all of it though. Cena shouldn't even sniff the top 50 let alone the top 10. The Rock top 20 but not top 10.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are all very recent for this list to truly be all-time. If its a greatest that you've seen, I don't have much argument. All-time, you'd have to include Andre the Giant, Bruno Sammartino, and some of the Japanese guys (admittedly, I wouldn't go there in making a list as I don't know enough about them myself).

As far as guys that we've both seen, Edge is a massive omission from your honorable mentions. Angle and HHH go ahead of him, but that's it. He was very good in the ring and incredible on the mic regardless of what character he was playing. I wouldn't argue with who is in the top 10, but I'd put Flair ahead of the Rock and Hogan. As good on the mic as anyone when he's on and was also as good in the ring, despite his current status as an embarrassment.
Ah I knew I was forgetting somebody. Edge is definitely an Honorable Mention. As for Bruno and Andre, If this was the Top 10 biggest names in wrestling history then both of them definitely would have been on it but this was the Top 10 GREATEST wrestlers of all-time. I was taking everything into account as in look, charisma, mic skills, in-ring talent, accomplishments etc. Accomplishments and look wise, Andre and Bruno are definitely up there but imo everyone on my list totally blows them out of the water in the other categories so I didn't consider them for the Top 10.

Really good list by the way - forgot to mention that.

Mick Foley has put on the best matches I have ever seen, so I'm probably a little bias.
Thanks man and yeah Foley has some of the craziest matches of all-time but I just don't consider him a Top 10 guy.

Great list. Don't agree with all of it though. Cena shouldn't even sniff the top 50 let alone the top 10. The Rock top 20 but not top 10.
I was waiting for someone to complain about Cena but if you take everything into consideration, I truly believe he belongs at #10. I understand where you're coming from though.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
People from Japan would flip shit if they saw this list lol.

·
My top five:

1)Hogan
2)Austin
3)Flair (I had him at two and Austin at three. Sometimes it depends)
4)HBK (arguably the greatest performer of all time. Him and Flair are a toss up)
5)Kurt FREAKING Angle

·
51,446 Posts
My top 10:

SCSA
Hogan
Rock
Taker
Flair
Bret Hart
Kenta Kobashi
Randy Savage
HHH
Jumbo Tsuruta/Stan Hansen

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My top five:

1)Hogan
2)Austin
3)Flair (I had him at two and Austin at three. Sometimes it depends)
4)HBK (arguably the greatest performer of all time. Him and Flair are a toss up)
5)Kurt FREAKING Angle
Angle over Undertaker, Bret Hart, The Rock, and Randy Savage?
:jr:

·
I'll never get this shit with Flair.
Flair was the complete package. I'd also go on record and say that he possibly had the greatest single year of any wrestler in history. (1989) which was more impressive when you consider than the Arn & Tully were in the WWF at the time so the Horsemen weren't around.

Flair was able to use the exact same match formula for 30 years, and get away with it because it was entertaining and he got over the other opponent. That's even more impressive when you consider the biggest criticism is that wrestlers do the same thing in the ring for years.
Angle over Undertaker, Bret Hart, The Rock, and Randy Savage?
:jr:
I have Rock at 6. Savage at 7.

Angle's ring work/work rate puts him there for me. 12 straight years of putting on 4 star matches with the kind of health conditions he's had is very impressive. Not to mention he was great on the mic, and had a great presence. He was always a guy you can rely on to put on a good match, and get somebody over in the process.

If this list was five years ago, I would of had Rock on there strictly based on Rock's impact on the business. If this was 10 years ago, I would of had Savage on there for the same reason. (Although Savage was the best in ring performer in the company from the late 80's to the early 90's as well)

Without the streak, Taker wouldn't be as big of a legend as he is. Bret Hart was phenomenal in the ring but he bored me at times and he wasn't that good on the mic.

·
Administrator
115,885 Posts
That's my problem with him. He NEVER entertained me. And putting on the SAME exact match each and everytime bored me to death even more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts