Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good article on Kleiza performing so well despite most beliving he was on his way to the D-League. I have to agree with this article over all. Kleiza has really stepped in, and been better than anyone could have excpected.

In Francisco Elson, the Denver Nuggets have an 7-foot insurance policy they refer to as "Geico."
That means rookie forward Linas Kleiza must be "Aflac."

Dealing with injuries of varying degree to center Marcus Camby and forwards Nene and Kenyon Martin in the first month of the season, Nuggets coach George Karl recently has turned to Kleiza for help.

Kleiza has responded nicely, providing energy on defense and on the boards while contributing what he can on the offensive end.

After watching Kleiza score seven points and grab four rebounds in 17 minutes against the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday night, Karl referred to his first-year sub as "courageous."

Not bad for a player who most people expected to be playing in Austin, Texas, for Denver's affiliate in the NBA Development League.

"I didn't expect him to be here. I expected him to be down in Austin right now," Camby said Sunday. "But he's worked diligently. He works hard in practice every day. You can just see by his game that he's going to be a player in this league someday."
The road to playing time does not include rest stops. Kleiza often is among the first to arrive before practice and games, and - as was the case Sunday - is often the last person to leave the gym after practice.

"That's my whole attitude," he said. "It don't matter how much I'm going play - 2 minutes, maybe 15 or 20 minutes. At this point in my career, I just need to improve and get better as a player."

Part of Kleiza's motivation stems from skeptics who wondered if he made the right decision by entering the NBA draft as an early entry candidate.

The Portland Trail Blazers selected Kleiza 27th overall - ensuring him a guaranteed three-year contract - and immediately traded him and the rights to second-round pick Ricky Sanchez to the Nuggets for the rights to Jarrett Jack.
A lot more to the story. With quotes on Kleiza from Martin,Karl, and Vandeweghe.

Also a must read at the bottom of the article in the notes: section. A funny quote in there by Marcus Camby regarding a protective sleeve he may be wearing in mondays game. If he ends up playing.

Link http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4271766,00.html

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Like I said early on... Linas Klieza will make Eddie Najera expendable!!

Klieza is everything that Eddie is, but Klieza has better range and more consistancy!

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thetobin73 said:
Like I said early on... Linas Klieza will make Eddie Najera expendable!!

Klieza is everything that Eddie is, but Klieza has better range and more consistancy!
Yes I remember you being high on Klieza before he started getting minutes.

So give yourself some props tobin.

However I don't think Eddie is expendable. Eddie has more size than Klieza, and right now due to our Bigs injuries Mr. Najera is a plus coming off the bench.

Plus you got to like Eddies new spiffy hair cut.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
23AirJordan said:
Yes I remember you being high on Klieza before he started getting minutes.

So give yourself some props tobin.

However I don't think Eddie is expendable. Eddie has more size than Klieza, and right now due to our Bigs injuries Mr. Najera is a plus coming off the bench.

Plus you got to like Eddies new spiffy hair cut.
I do admit that Eddie's new hairdo is a plus! :banana:

I'm not too sure about the size difference, but I do see Denver holding onto Eddie for a little bit while the bigs are out, but if Lenard gets dealt for Doleac or something Eddie can be shipped out!

But I do like Najera. Just see more upside in Klieza.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts