Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems inevitable that the Raps will get their own lottery pick - but Denver may miss the playoffs too which would mean 2 lottery picks for the Raps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2223197

"It's a sore knee," Karl said. "He is frustrated, we are frustrated. We're being conservative with what we do on it and how we manage it."
Vince bad knee plagued the Rap fans and franchise for years - could K-marts bad knee mean a lottery pick which could help the franchise rediscover its winning ways?

I think the pick is protected from #8 tho?

So far nugs are below .500 - a bit more loosing and Melo starts hating Karl and it could be good news for Rap fans.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Let's just hope they don't suck too much so that we lose too much and give the Nugs another year to develop. I think lottery day '06 could be the day that the chips finally fall in our favour and we get that second lottery pick. Ronnie Brewer + Josh Boone = :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
right now, injuries are finally aiding the raptors- both at home (in their absence) and in denver. but like you said chuck, we don't want the nuggets to be too bad- that would be the worst case scenario. they'd get another stud to prop around an already strong roster, while we'd have to wait for an even lower 1st rounder next year (in all likelihood). ouch.

still, don't get too excited (or worried) here. you don't drop from 25 to 5 overnight- especially when carmelo anthony is left in good spirits and good health. things are looking "healthy" in toronto: we're closer to utopia than hell. so let's leave our inherent fear as raps fans at the door... i doubt the nuggets will fall into the lottery at all, but i sincerely doubt they'll fall into lotto-protected range.

things's looking good at the moment. :)

peace

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
The pick is certainly looking better than it did after Denver stormed through the second half of last season. Watson has been a non-factor pickup, as have the rookies. If Kenyon doesn't have his athleticism, he's a below average power forward IMO.

On the other side, Camby might be playing the best ball of his career. If he can keep it up he's an allstar.

I don't know about lottery (a loss last night would have helped) but I'm very doubtful they'll have a top 10 record, even if they were to win their division.

2 lottery pics would solidly cement the Raptors a very bright future, if the right choices are made of course.

The Denver pick is top 5 protected.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
speedythief said:
We should feel lucky if that pick is around 20. They could've been/could be a 55+ win team.
True, but I'd love them to miss the playoffs due to injuries. Screw that German term.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe it's actually top FIVE protected (which is even better), but it's not records wise, but actual position of the pick (which is MUCH different). Then it is top 2? protected next year and none in 2 years? Is that what it is, not really sure about how it drops off, but I'm 99% sure that it's top 5 protected THIS year :).

Go all 29 teams except Denver :).

·
Registered
798 Posts
just saw that.
We, of course, own their pick: top-5 protected in 2006, top-2 protected in 2007, unprotected in 2008. This pick comes via New Jersey. It became New Jersey's in the called-bluff Kenyon Martin deal--6/15/2004. New Jersey traded this pick to Toronto as part of the painfull Vince Carter trade bringing Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, Alonzo *** Mourning and a draft selection that became Joey Graham. --12/17/04.
link

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i hope camby gets injured cause he's playing like a madman possessed right now. that'd b great to get 2 picks in the top 10. *knocks on wood

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hoping that guys get hurt is low - it's bad karma as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, the probability that Marcus Camby plays all 82 games is remote. With a largely healthy Camby and Carmelo on the verge of superstardom, the Nuggets are out of the lottery in my belief. If Carmelo sours and turns on the coach and becomes a young Glenn Robinson, then they are lottery bound.

I think it's a weak draft - just my quick impression from looking at the lists. Josh Boone is in the top 5?
He's not particularly strong, not particularly athletic, not a great shooter or defender and probably won't rebound particularly well at the NBA level. I'll save that for the draft board though. I'm just saying that two lottery picks in 06' doesn't put the Raptors into playoffs - unless they draft REALLY WELL which they haven't been known to do although CV3 is my main man!

Nonetheless, a team with Bosh, CV3, Joey Graham, 2 '06 lottery picks, Calderon, should be fun to watch.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Charlz you might be a little too optimistic, the best case scenerio for Denvers' pick IMO is 12-15 (late lotto), They still have a good veteran team with a good coach. I fear a second half playoff push similar to what happened last year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts