Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone refresh my memory here. is the #1 pick that the knicks owe the suns for the upcoming draft and if so is are there any conditions attached,thanks

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
This years pick is unprotected. Meaning, if the Knicks miss the playoffs, they still have to give the Suns their lottery pick.

If the Knicks DO make the playoffs, it will only likely be the 8th seed. That's the 14th pick.

Next year's pick has quite a lot of protection on it. The Knicks keep it unless they are one of the elite teams in the league (in other words, they keep it for awhile). Eventually the protection runs out on it though, after 4 years I think.

Isn't that around the time the Knicks will be lottery bound and needing replacements for Allan Houston, etc?

·
Registered
115 Posts
From the NY Post:

The Suns can't touch it until 2006. The Knicks keep it if they are 25th or better in the draft order. In 2007, they keep it if they are 24th or better. In 2008, they keep it if they are 23rd or better. The kicker is if the Knicks still have it by 2010, it goes to Phoenix, unprotected.
I'm thinking the Suns won't see that pick for 6 years. Remember when Detroit traded Otis Thorpe for a "future draft pick"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts