Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no doubt that KO is becoming very defensive over the sudden success of Moiso.

All season long KO has never ripped or put down any of his players in the press. He is usually very complimentary of a big performance. Rose put up some real stinkers when he came to Toronto and KO praised him like crazy to reporters.

But with Moiso he comes out and says it is only his 4th double-double in 5 years and that we shouldn't get carried away with our praise of him.

That is pathetic. Admit your mistake KO.

Moiso himself is still saying all he ever needed was minutes. No talk of great encouragement from the coaching staff. He was promised an opportunity to play in Toronto and it was never given.

What about this theory that Moiso has been getting great coaching behind the scenes to help him improve? You tell me. The guy didn't really play for 2 months to start the season, and then plays one game in Miami before sitting for another 2 months.

Does anyone believe that Moiso suddenly worked harder in practice at this point, knowing that he had zero chance to see the floor and was just waiting for a trade. Not likely to me.

KO knows he made a mistake not giving Moiso some PT early in the season. He doesn't like JM type players. He likes Curry, and Arch.

Moiso isn't perfect but he is one of the best backup C's available for the money based on his recent performance.

When Bosh and Curry come back what will happen to Moiso's minutes? They will go way down so Curry and Arch can play. KO has already said that Baxter's minutes will go to Curry and we know he plays a short 8 or 9 man rotation.

One bad game from Moiso and KO will jump at the chance to bury him on the bench.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
KO is just saying to Moiso that he shouldn't get over-confident with his recent play and remember to keep working on his game as if he hasn't been getting the PT.

two double is very good considering it's Moiso here, but i hope the ego doesn't get to him. continue working hard, then he'll get the respect.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I really liked the signing of Moiso in the offsesaon especially considering his performance in the playoffs. I was surprised to say the least that he wasn't getting minutes on a team that was in dire need of size. I chalked it up to a bad attitude or a lazy offseason ... or even not fitting into KO's system. I think he is the type of player that rises to challeneges ... this skill never shows up in practice or in games that mean nothing.
I think he is finally fed up with being on the bench and realizes that every time he is on the court and plays well it will translate into more minutes and therefore is putting in an effort. I can only hope that he doesn't get complacent again or get shoved back onto the bench ... if nothing else these last two games have increased his trade value. I don't want to trade hm but if we do these two games were huge for us.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
It makes you wonder why Moiso has been held back this long. It's true that he's only had four double-doubles in his career, but he's also seen limited playing time his whole career. Two opportunities with the Raps and two big games--against less than stellar opponents, however.

Before you rip KO, though, keep in mind that the Raps coaches have been working hard on Moiso. They have been giving him a lot of personal attention and have worked with him all season. It's one thing to be nailed to the bench, and it is something else to be "under construction."

I'm not going to say the coaches have given him a fair amount of playing time, but they haven't been ignoring him, either.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Someone else mentioned Tayshaun Prince, and how KO had brought hinm along slowly last year to fit him into the system the way they wanted. Maybe thats been the plan with Moiso all along- play him heavy in presaeson to see what they've got to deal with, and then mold him into what they need.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lucky777s</b>!

But with Moiso he comes out and says it is only his 4th double-double in 5 years and that we shouldn't get carried away with our praise of him.

how's that pathetic? it's true it's only his 4th double in 5 years. the reason KO didn't play moiso is because he went out there and stunk it up. the guy didn't look like he knew where he was on the basketball court. now it looks like he's improved and he looks SMARTER out there. they must of done something. KO is feeling no heat at all i have no clue where you got that from.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
There is no doubt that KO is becoming very defensive over the sudden success of Moiso.

All season long KO has never ripped or put down any of his players in the press. He is usually very complimentary of a big performance. Rose put up some real stinkers when he came to Toronto and KO praised him like crazy to reporters.

Moiso himself is still saying all he ever needed was minutes. No talk of great encouragement from the coaching staff. He was promised an opportunity to play in Toronto and it was never given.

What about this theory that Moiso has been getting great coaching behind the scenes to help him improve? You tell me. The guy didn't really play for 2 months to start the season, and then plays one game in Miami before sitting for another 2 months.

Does anyone believe that Moiso suddenly worked harder in practice at this point, knowing that he had zero chance to see the floor and was just waiting for a trade. Not likely to me.

KO knows he made a mistake not giving Moiso some PT early in the season. He doesn't like JM type players. He likes Curry, and Arch.

Moiso isn't perfect but he is one of the best backup C's available for the money based on his recent performance.

When Bosh and Curry come back what will happen to Moiso's minutes? They will go way down so Curry and Arch can play. KO has already said that Baxter's minutes will go to Curry and we know he plays a short 8 or 9 man rotation.

One bad game from Moiso and KO will jump at the chance to bury him on the bench.
great post. as a fan (i.e. from a position that doesn't catch the happenings behind locker room doors), i think i agree whole-heartedly. as much as he'd love to believe otherwise, kevin o'neill (like almost every other coach?) absolutely takes his personal biases to work every day. i've been concerned about KO's dealings with the media the whole year. you just know when he's forcing a contrived perception that he himself doesn't even believe. in other words, you know when he's not being honest.

to me, he seems very worried about how he is being perceived in the public eye- and that's ironic considering that that's the one thing he would never admit publicly. he doesn't seem comfortable with who he is as a person, in my opinion, and may be letting that personal unrest inhibit the development of this team.

last week, when we were mired in an awful slump (and with michael curry on the sidelines), KO was asked why he felt the raptors were playing so sluggishly, without much "passion/desire/commitment" (there's some more irony for you). he replied, "two words: michael curry."

like, WHAT!!! this was coming from a guy who, when the raptors had been struggling in the same vein earlier in the year, WITH michael curry (and WITHOUT vince carter), answered the same question with a "it's a long year, 82 games. we need to play better defensively. we need to come hard down the floor every possession. we just need to focus. no big deal. we'll play harder next game. we need to play harder or we won't be successful."

put differently, he made no excuses for the team THEN, when they had all hands on deck (except vince- although vince was active for some of those games, too). but when michael curry was felled by injury, it suddenly became almost excusable to play devoid of important energy.

logically, it makes no sense to me whatsoever. i think KO knows that the public opinion on curry is not high and answers similar questions very differently when he feels that his OWN perception is at stake (as it is with anything to do with michael curry, since the two seem to be joined at the hip). that kind of behavior is in stark contrast to the man he'd like people to see when they look at him.

whether he knows it or not, it seems to me like the main objective of his job, in KO's eyes, is to settle personal dilemmas- and not necessarily to win basketball games (although they could/would go hand in hand occasionally). i mean, why bring up jerome's statistical ineptness over his entire CAREER at this point? why? what does that have to do with anything? at the very least, you don't knock a player, in the wake of a relatively strong performance, who had heretofore been suffering self-confidence issues. instead, you offer positive reinforcement. this isn't rocket science.

you also have to realize that that point regarding JM's career production is indeed irrelevant, so why not simply praise moiso on a job well done? why treat him differently? why is moiso's production over the course of his entire pro career the FIRST THING you offer after he gives you consecutive double-doubles on back-to-back nights?

it's simple, really: it's never primarily about the raptors, it's always primarily about kevin o'neill. he's trying to justify- justify- justify. i don't know whether a human being who is so palpably unsettled (as is KO) with his personal complexes can ever lead a professional basketball team to greener pastures. the jury's still out on that one, so we'll see.

peace

p.s. by the way, congrats to JM on two great games.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: KO feeling heat over Moiso

Originally posted by <b>Dathomieyouhate</b>!

how's that pathetic? it's true it's only his 4th double in 5 years. the reason KO didn't play moiso is because he went out there and stunk it up. the guy didn't look like he knew where he was on the basketball court. now it looks like he's improved and he looks SMARTER out there. they must of done something. KO is feeling no heat at all i have no clue where you got that from.

It's pathetic because this is a dramatic change in behaviour from the way KO treats every other player (the one's he didn't bench for 2 months at a time). He has had nothing but praise for any player that had a good game. JYD, MoP, Rose, Arch, Bax, Curry, AD, etc ,etc never got slammed like that after two great efforts.

When did Moiso stink it up. He started the Miami game and went 3-7 with 8 boards and 2 blocks. Then he sat for 2 months.

When he started playing again last week he looked just as lost as ever out there. So where is the big coaching impact and hard work at practice showing? Nowhere IMO.

He was the exact same player. He just needed playing time.

The reason I say KO is feeling heat is because all fans and reporters want to know why he refused to play Moiso and cry poor size, when he had this asset going unused on the bench. If he wasn't feeling heat he would not be downplaying Moiso's contribution.
KO has completely changed his behaviour when talking about Moiso's game from how he has talked about his other players. That shows some stress.

He is not being consistant.

Did he say Rose has been a cancer everywhere he played and not to expect much from him?

Does he say MoP is just inconsistant, always has been and always will?

Does he say VC has a history of injury and not to expect him to play many games?

No. But he felt it necessary to bash Moiso instead of praising two great games that the team really needed.

Pathetic.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts

Agree Agree Agree!!!

The more I see Moiso play the more I think KO sat him for personal reasons rather than what was best for the team.

MY THEORY
=========
GG told KO to play Moiso so that he could be show cased before the deadline. Whoa this guy play well - so he gets more minutes and grabbs a very efficient back to back double doubles. Now that we have seen he is not a detriment to the team KO can not sit him down.

Too bad he will likely be packaged with Murray to go somewhere in a trade deadline deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts