Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For anyone who didn't notice, KO left the bench and headed to the locker-room with about 20 seconds left in the game @ New York a few days ago. KO waved congrats to Lenny on his way through the tunnel.

TORONTO SUN: (Link)
"That's the bulls---. I thought the game was over," O'Neill said. "I wasn't frustrated with our team. I apologized to our team (yesterday). I was just leaving, I had enough. Twenty seconds left, I waved at Lenny (Wilkens) and got the hell out of there.

"I didn't think anything of it and I don't think our team did either."
Donyell claimed yesterday that he got a few phonecalls about what was going on. He said he was on the court when KO walked and he didn't know it had happened.

Rose told the media that KO might have walked-off in order to avoid saying or doing something he might regret later, but KO has denied that he was upset, at least to that degree.

One of the things KO does regularly is not comment on the game directly after it is over. He doesn't grill his players after the fourth-quarter buzzer. He doesn't talk about the game until the next day's practice, or sooner if he shares a flight/drive with the team. He does this to make sure he can view the game from an objective point of view, rather than let his emotions speak for him. This stems back to the decades he spent coaching college teams and having a reputation as a "screamer."

I guess there are three ways of looking at it:

1. The positive, motivational way--he left because he was frustrated and disappointed with the team's inconsistent effort over the road-trip, and by leaving early he sent a message that if the team wasn't willing to put-in 48 minutes, why should he?

2. The negative, detrimental way--he left because he was angry, but he abandoned the team during a tough loss. The team played hard but couldn't match the play of New York's unconscious guard shooting. By leaving, KO seperated himself from the team and avoided facing the opposing coaches at the final buzzer.

3. The "what KO told the media" way--think nothing of it, he thought the game was over (?), and he apologized to the team for doing so. It wasn't because he was disappointed or frustrated but because he couldn't.. watch them lose? This one is hard to swallow.

If you were a player, how would you take KO's walk-out?

What would we be saying if a player had stood up and walked out instead of KO?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ya I noticed he walked out during that game. They showed a clip of him going through the tunnel for a split second.

Anyway basketball is KO's life and he thinks about it all the time. He was probably just really angry and didn't want to do anything stupid like flip out on a player. So he probably left so he wouldn't have to see anyone until he cooled off.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
i really don't know how to comment on this.

on one hand, if i were a player the coach would be the boss to me, and i woulnd't want to call him out or tell him what his role is.

as an avid watcher, i'm kind of disgusted since the coach has to stick with the team thick and thin, and this is the first i've ever heard of a coach abandoning his team during a game.

all in all, :don'tknow:

·
Registered
217 Posts
My take on it was that he knew some of the players were going to be making nice with Lenny and didn't want to be around for it ... FWIW

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts
what is the status of KO CONTRACT

HOW MANY YEARS HE HAVE IN THE CONTRACT

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Although the Raptors are not playing well, KO has no right to leave his team when the game is not over, just like players have no right to leave the game.

The one thing that bothers me about KO is that he has no self-control. He uses inappropriate language in post-game interviews on a regular basis, when kids are watching.

The Raptors management has always been known to keep a clean image with players, well it might me time to do the same with coaches.

·
Registered
731 Posts
maybe he wanted to go to washroom or something? but he's too embarass to say....

actually, with all that *beeping* after the game, i think there is some problem with this guy.....i never, ever heard any *beep* on sportsnet till KO came....and this guy smiles whenever his team is winning, and swears whenever his team loses.....

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JL2002</b>!
maybe he wanted to go to washroom or something? but he's too embarass to say....

actually, with all that *beeping* after the game, i think there is some problem with this guy.....i never, ever heard any *beep* on sportsnet till KO came....and this guy smiles whenever his team is winning, and swears whenever his team loses.....
this is bang-on and i'm puzzled as to why it hasn't yet become a public issue for this team. kevin o'neill is about as charismatic and tactful as a douche bag. he is always in a bad mood, and he swears with regularity in forums he knows don't accept it. it's ridiculous. i also don't think he's ever in a good mood- win or lose. he's just an unhappy fellow who seems to be venting his insecurities/pain at the expense of the world around him.

in terms of a sense of humour, it was recently stated on the fan 590 that he has none- and that is absolutely accurate. he doesn't ever joke- doesn't even offer the EASY joke (which is known to be the status quo in the media). if you joke with him, he'll reply with some inappropriately serious comment, leaving you to think, "uhhh, what? ok but...". he's always miserable. he always seems to bring down the person(s) with whom he's speaking. in other words, if you choose to agree with him, he quickly turns the tables and retracts his earlier statement- not for the sake of argument (like some other people) but just to get the upper hand in his invisible power struggle (in which he's the only participant).

earlier this season, he was having a chat with don landry and pat marsden from the fan590 on their morning show and, out of nowhere, dropped the four letter word for excrement. you could tell how shocked the hosts were... they were like, "oh, ummm, hmmm, next question." it wasn't even a heated discussion, he just dropped it like he thought it was appropriate- at 815 in the morning.

the bottom line is the man has issues. i'm sure grunwald and peddie are pulling out their hair in the anticipation that it's a problem soon to become public. he was even a jerk at the news conference on the day he was hired- almost trying painfully hard to make it look like he wasn't happy to be HIRED by an NBA BASKETBALL TEAM. he's probably the "worst" coach in the league in terms of getting soundbytes, since they all seem to be confrontational, and you can't watch/hear him without leaving with the thought that, "man, that guy is an a**ho**".

he's pushing the limits of tolerance and i reckon that'll soon catch up with him. a coach/person like that can only go so long without blowing his top and, upon doing so, it's goodbye charlie. fans say they don't mind as long as the team wins but i don't think that's an honest assertion. i think fans/execs/players can only put up with an unhappy representative of theirs for a limited period of time.

i'll predict he'll be gone before long- i don't think he fits with this franchise- but who really knows...

peace

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've heard that KO has a great sence of humor. I recal During the summer league he had Ewing busting a gut laughing. I think the guy works 20 hours a day teaching and prepairing his guys for games--and when the team plays un-focused and lazily, it really effects him--as if to say "why do i bother".

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if it is fair to say that KO has no sense of humour. He made one of the comments of the year, in my mind, when he said that getting players traded to his team was like receiving "mail order brides." I laughed for a couple of days on that one.

I think some people get put-off by how candid he is. I kind of like it. When you ask him a question you are going to get a straight, sometimes thorny answer. But you aren't going to get the typical cliches and "oh, we just need to take things one game at a time" stuff that you'd expect from most coaches.

As for him being unhappy all the time, he did admit that the only time he is really in a great mood is when the team is about to win. All other times he spends being focussed. But he does say that he enjoys his work immensely and that watching tape and working with players for 18hrs a day is how he loves to spend his time.

There's no doubt that KO is a little different. Certainly not someone you'd expect to cross-over to commentating on SportsCentre after his coaching career. But I think his demeanor will have a lasting, positive effect on a team that is recovering from a few years of terminal laziness.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Abner Doon</b>!
I've heard that KO has a great sence of humor. I recal During the summer league he had Ewing busting a gut laughing. I think the guy works 20 hours a day teaching and prepairing his guys for games--and when the team plays un-focused and lazily, it really effects him--as if to say "why do i bother".
totally agree with this.

if you were like KO, who lives and breathes basketball, and revolves his life around it, you'd take the job very serious as well. so when he instills his teachings and strategies with the players and they don't act it out, anyone in his shoes would be pissed off as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts