Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
101k followers already.

I wonder how he was able to secure the name @kobebryant tho -- undoubtedly someone has had to have registered that by now, right?

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
They probably made others change their names to allow Kobe to have it. But yeah, over 100k followers in less than 12 hours. Impressive.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Not sure about twitter, but for example if you are a famous person then other people are not allowed to take www.famouspersonsname.com. There used to be lots of good opportunities to make money cybersquatting, but that is not allowed. Seems like twitter would have the same legal policies to avoid litigious types.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
He was at 4k when he tweeted his first tweet and got verified 3 hours ago. He's nearing 204K now... Will he reach a million by tipoff tonight??

Edit: Just checked back and he's at 228K now!!

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I always respected Kobe for not falling into this. At least he didn't pick a stupid handle.

I'll make a twitter account when Charles Barkley does.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was at 4k when he tweeted his first tweet and got verified 3 hours ago. He's nearing 204K now... Will he reach a million by tipoff tonight??

Edit: Just checked back and he's at 228K now!!
He is at almost 330K now.

The popularity of Twitter is amazing. Go on his twitter account, and hit refresh on your browser every second or so. His total "followers" jumps by 10 to 13 followers per second. No shit.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
@kobebryant
The mamba vs d12 !! It's on lol pic.twitter.com/cZQO5Avf

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thrilled he didn't go with @blackmamba.

Good work by them posting that photo, but I don't even buy into them almost coming to blows in the first place.
Nah, it was bullshit.

1. None of the 1,572 Laker reporters in L.A. picked it up on the 1st.
2. The Daily News is a perpetual rag.
3. The reporter quoted a "league source." Whatever the **** that is. Don't reporters ever bother to confirm their sources anymore?
4. The Daily News is a perpetual rag.
5. The Daily News is a perpetual rag. That isn't even good for toilet paper, as they use an ink that rubs off...never mind.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
I do understand the non-confirmation of sources. Cite a source and that source's access gets compromised and you lose your source. Not to imply that's always the reason. I'm sure quite often writers are either using shitty jokes of a source, or making it up altogether. But yeah, I'd think either that local CBS guy that got into it with Dwight, or the other guy who D'Antoni thought was a Cleveland reporter would've run this too.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Over 633,000 followers and climbing.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
I like Kobe's Facebook posts, they seem pretty thought out and seems like he takes the time to write them.

As far as his Twitter, doubt it will be as good.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Twitter is different than from FB. The content will also have to be different.

FB can be more thoughtful, Twitter has to be small bits of information, the fact that he is tweeting motivational thoughts, show what type of person he is but also that is valuable content, he isn't just showing what he is eating for lunch over and over.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
I don't really care what kind of salad or paleo shit Kobe eats for lunch, glad he's not doing that.

Also, he doesn't control his Facebook, he just sends his boys paragraphs and they do whatever to them. We'll see what happens to his Twitter, I hope it continues to be motivational stuff and nothing too personal. Kobe doesn't really seem like all that interesting of a dude.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Twitter is different than from FB. The content will also have to be different.

FB can be more thoughtful, Twitter has to be small bits of information, the fact that he is tweeting motivational thoughts, show what type of person he is but also that is valuable content, he isn't just showing what he is eating for lunch over and over.
I have facebook mainly to keep in touch with my friends/family in different parts of the globe, and after time I followed public figures I was interested in. Never got into twitter because it just seemed like quips from people that aren't funny or uninteresting facts (what salad they ate). Lately it's been which reporter can post a bogus rumor first. It's also a foreign language almost, the way stuff is posted here litered with "@" and "#".

As a social media expert, is there something I'm missing out on twatter that I don't know about?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts