Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
Joined
·
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:laugh:
"That was a disappointing loss for us tonight," Jackson said, "both for our fans and for ourselves."

The Lakers trailed 94-93 after Michael Sweetney (20 points, 12 rebounds) made 1 of 2 free throws after being fouled by rookie Andrew Bynum with 24.8 seconds left.

Bryant got the ball on the pinch-post, wheeled to his right and drove into the teeth of the waiting Bulls defense of Luol Deng, Chris Duhon and Sweetney. Deng blocked the shot.

"It was good defense," said Bryant, who suffered a thigh contusion and right ankle injury to go along with an injured index finger. "The whole team just collapsed over."

Chris Mihm, who had 13 points, was the only other Laker to score in double figures.


"I really don't want to shoot the ball that many times," Bryant said. "It's important for other people to step up and make contribution."


:eek8:
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_21.40a28a6.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
spongyfungy said:
:laugh:
"That was a disappointing loss for us tonight," Jackson said, "both for our fans and for ourselves."

The Lakers trailed 94-93 after Michael Sweetney (20 points, 12 rebounds) made 1 of 2 free throws after being fouled by rookie Andrew Bynum with 24.8 seconds left.

Bryant got the ball on the pinch-post, wheeled to his right and drove into the teeth of the waiting Bulls defense of Luol Deng, Chris Duhon and Sweetney. Deng blocked the shot.

"It was good defense," said Bryant, who suffered a thigh contusion and right ankle injury to go along with an injured index finger. "The whole team just collapsed over." I got hit on the arm on the way up," Bryant said. "Those type of situations, you never get those calls."

Chris Mihm, who had 13 points, was the only other Laker to score in double figures.


"I really don't want to shoot the ball that many times," Bryant said. "It's important for other people to step up and make contribution."


:eek8:
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_21.40a28a6.html
I think this early in the season phil needs to sit kobe for a few. He is starting to get really banged up.
 

·
Skokie, IL 60076
Joined
·
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"We will have to find another alternative to 34 shots out of 78," Jackson said. "That's too high a percentage of shots for Kobe to take or the team to absorb. We have to do better than that."

In no particular order, the Lakers are faced with trying to limit Bryant's shots at the same time as developing a supporting cast and fighting to end a skid in which they have lost five of six games.


http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3237887
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I still say that the lakers have such a great group of young talent. Phil will mold that into something unreal.
 

·
"Meow."
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
You know, the whole reason the Bulls were in the game at the end was that the ball wasn't in Kobe's hands. Kobe wouldn't have choked like Lamar Odom did. Once again, Phil Jackson is working his mojo. Yesterday, he sacrificed a win for team development, placing his "B" players in pressure situations to help them grow. These Lakes will start to turn heads come all-star break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
such sweet thunder said:
You know, the whole reason the Bulls were in the game at the end was that the ball wasn't in Kobe's hands. Kobe wouldn't have choked like Lamar Odom did. Once again, Phil Jackson is working his mojo. Yesterday, he sacrificed a win for team development, placing his "B" players in pressure situations to help them grow. These Lakes will start to turn heads come all-star break.
Really?

Kobe taking 34 out of 78 shots is fostering team development?

Also, outside of Lamar and Kobe, they're all B players. It would be totally impossible for Jackson to keep his B players out of pressure situations because he doesn't have five A players. Kobe played 46 min's, BTW.

(if my sarcasm detector was malfunctioning in reading this post, excuse me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Kobe just got his degree in shooting 101 from allen iverson university. How to shoot the ball more then 50 times a game and still loose. Kobe needs to let some of the youngbloods like rush shoot it more. I bet phil and kobe dont last 2 seasons. Kobe is messing up phils plans.
 

·
Skokie, IL 60076
Joined
·
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what happened :

- Phil shows '91 bulls-lakers video and how MJ was double-teamed but passed out of them and involved other teams mates
- Kobe takes 34 shots while getting doubleteamed throughout the game.
- Phil says the entire team has to get involved.
- Kobe says he doesn't want to shoot the ball that many times.

Kobe and Phil agree but Kobe still takes that many shots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I'm pretty sure Rush got traded to the Bobcats over the summer for a couple 2nd round picks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
babybulls23 said:
I'm pretty sure Rush got traded to the Bobcats over the summer for a couple 2nd round picks.

damn my bad..meant to say cook. my fault

cook needs to develop into a shooter more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Up comes the old "nobody understands the triangle so Kobe has to be selfish" defense which for the most part I actually buy, but in the case of this game, I think some credit can be given to the Bulls game plan to force the other four out of position leaving Kobe no pass out option much of the time. Then the shift to triple teaming him in the fourth left guys open, but not in any rhythm to be effective in the pressure moments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
So if everyone recognizes the problem, why is it there?

What's the deal with Odom? Does he just get worse and worse the longer he plays in LA? He was good as a rookie and got progressively worse and more pot-headed playing for the Clips. Then he goes the the Heat and plays like a maniac.

He was pretty good last year going back to LA, but he was a bit of a disappointment. This year he's just plain stanky. I mean really, this guy is one of the most talented players around. He's got skills coming out the ears- he shouldn't be taking less than 15 shots a game no matter what.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,807 Posts
MightyMouse1984 said:
I still say that the lakers have such a great group of young talent. Phil will mold that into something unreal.
LMAO

u can't be serious

besides kobe and lamar (from time to time) the rest of the team is straight nbdl material..

Phil's NEVER been the best at turning nothing into something...he's always been FORTUNATE at having top 5 players on his team..

bulls - MJ and PIP
lakers - KOBE and SHAQ
lakers - KOBE, SHAQ, PAYTON, MALONE
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,359 Posts
Phil will get this team to playing better but the roster needs improving. Reminds me of some of the early teams MY played with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,438 Posts
Mikedc said:
So if everyone recognizes the problem, why is it there?

What's the deal with Odom? Does he just get worse and worse the longer he plays in LA? He was good as a rookie and got progressively worse and more pot-headed playing for the Clips. Then he goes the the Heat and plays like a maniac.

He was pretty good last year going back to LA, but he was a bit of a disappointment. This year he's just plain stanky. I mean really, this guy is one of the most talented players around. He's got skills coming out the ears- he shouldn't be taking less than 15 shots a game no matter what.
Odom had one ablsolutley incredible game early in the season actually. He put down 23/16/8 against Phoenix in the second game of the season. And despite the fact that he hasn't really put it together this year, he's still averaging 15/9/5.

What a bizarre talent. If Phil can't help him maximize himself, I'm not sure who can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
The ROY said:
LMAO

u can't be serious

besides kobe and lamar (from time to time) the rest of the team is straight nbdl material..

Phil's NEVER been the best at turning nothing into something...he's always been FORTUNATE at having top 5 players on his team..

bulls - MJ and PIP
lakers - KOBE and SHAQ
lakers - KOBE, SHAQ, PAYTON, MALONE
I agree with you about phil being fortunate. A monkey could have coached the bulls to championship after championship But look at the lakers roster other then kobe (FORGET lamar odom he's been done)

1. Chris Mihm - Definitly has great fundamental skills. Understands team play and knows a thing or two about the triangle. When he hits the weights hard and puts on about 15 lbs of muscle he will be capable of playing big man in the west. Good free throw shooter as well.

2. Von Wafer - Absolutly came through in the clutch with FSU. Has nerves of steel and is a smart over all player. Studies the game all the time and is very eager about playing for phil. Defensive skills are great.

3. Smush Parker - Will end up being LA's version of Channing Frye. Starting to come around and feeding off of Kobe's "shooting frenzy". When this kid gets hot no too many can stop him. At 6'4" he he big enough for a good presence from the arch and can still drive.

4. Kwame Brown - Couldn't be a team or coach more suited to his play. Phil will bring the playmaking ability out of this kid.

5. Brian Cook - Hasn't really contributed all that much. Apparently worked on post moves and free throw shooting all summer. Has improved defense dramatically from last year.

6. Andrew Bynum - Good size and very strong. The combo of Mihm and bynum may be a very good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
Mikedc said:
So if everyone recognizes the problem, why is it there?

What's the deal with Odom? Does he just get worse and worse the longer he plays in LA? He was good as a rookie and got progressively worse and more pot-headed playing for the Clips. Then he goes the the Heat and plays like a maniac.

He was pretty good last year going back to LA, but he was a bit of a disappointment. This year he's just plain stanky. I mean really, this guy is one of the most talented players around. He's got skills coming out the ears- he shouldn't be taking less than 15 shots a game no matter what.
Odom is really tough to figure out. Living in LA, I see him play a fair amount and can't really get a handle on him. His stats really aren't that different as a Laker than they were in his one season with the Heat. I think partially it's a perception issue - when a team's losing a guy looks worse. And partially it's an issue with he and Kobe. There's a lot of talk about Odom playing the Pippen to Bryant's Jordan and I just don't see it. Odom plays way more like a better rebounding Toni Kukoc in his prime than he does Pippen. Pippen didn't need the ball to be effective, Lamar does as did Toni. A lot of Kukoc's success came handling the rock with the second unit, and he played a decent chunk of minutes per game sans Jordan. Odom is expected to play w/ Bryant, and it just doesn't work very well, because Lamar needs the ball and Kobe hogs it. Invariably at the end of Laker games you feel that the team could've gotten more out of him, whether it's his fault or Bryant's isn't clear to me.

I always thought Kobe played a lot better with Caron Butler than he did and does with Odom. Butler also had the ability to spell Kobe defensively and guard the better opposing wing player, that's all on Bryant now. The Kwame Brown for Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins deal is looking like one of the worst sign and trades in league history right now. I'm not sure I can think of another example of the team signing and trading the guy getting better talent in return. The Lakers seem to have severly over rated Brown's potential, and the fact that he's being asked to play in an offense like the triangle doesn't help matters...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
MightyMouse1984 said:
I agree with you about phil being fortunate. A monkey could have coached the bulls to championship after championship But look at the lakers roster other then kobe (FORGET lamar odom he's been done)

1. Chris Mihm - Definitly has great fundamental skills. Understands team play and knows a thing or two about the triangle. When he hits the weights hard and puts on about 15 lbs of muscle he will be capable of playing big man in the west. Good free throw shooter as well.

2. Von Wafer - Absolutly came through in the clutch with FSU. Has nerves of steel and is a smart over all player. Studies the game all the time and is very eager about playing for phil. Defensive skills are great.

3. Smush Parker - Will end up being LA's version of Channing Frye. Starting to come around and feeding off of Kobe's "shooting frenzy". When this kid gets hot no too many can stop him. At 6'4" he he big enough for a good presence from the arch and can still drive.

4. Kwame Brown - Couldn't be a team or coach more suited to his play. Phil will bring the playmaking ability out of this kid.

5. Brian Cook - Hasn't really contributed all that much. Apparently worked on post moves and free throw shooting all summer. Has improved defense dramatically from last year.

6. Andrew Bynum - Good size and very strong. The combo of Mihm and bynum may be a very good one.
Hmm...not sure about all of these opinions...

1. Mihm is fine. He's an active defender. He's got size and is okay offensively. He's also a mediocre rebounder, a foul factory and extraordinarily inconsistent. Still, I think Mihm is pretty decent. He's certainly no difference maker though.

2. Von Wafer is a totally unknown quantity. I suppose he could be okay but how do we really know? Did provide some comic relief last night by treating the pregame layup line like it was a slam dunk contest.

3. I like Smush. He'll be a good complementary player. I see absolutely no similarities between he and Channing Frye.

4. Kwame Brown is perfect for the triangle? I always thought playing in the triangle necessitated a high basketball IQ and good decision making skills.

5. Brian Cook, at his best, approaches okay.

6. Bynum might be good, but again who knows?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top