Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
• Bryant is a huge Rondo fan and has openly said he plans to recruit Rondo to the Lakers. (Rondo becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.)

So was this appearance by Rondo's breakfast buddy -- the two were spotted earlier this season having the most important meal of the day at The Paramount in Beacon Hill in Boston -- just a coincidence?

"I don't know," Rondo said with a smile after the Mavericks' 100-93 win, during which he contributed eight points and nine assists. "Who are you talking about, [No.] 24?"

Yes, that would be Bryant's number.

"Richard Jefferson?" Rondo asked, naming the Mavericks swingman who also wears No. 24.

Try again.

"Oh, the other guy," Rondo said.

Yes, the other No. 24.

"Luckily, he was in a suit for us tonight," Rondo said.

OK, enough fooling around.

Bryant has said his recruiting efforts aren't deterred even though Rondo was traded from the rebuilding Celtics squad to the contending Mavericks.

"No way," Bryant told the Boston Herald in January. "I'm not done. I'm not stopping until he signs an extension."

How does that sit with Rondo?

"He's one of the best that's ever played our game," Rondo said. "When he speaks, it speaks volumes. It's an honor and a compliment that he'd want to play with a guy like me. But right now I'm focused on winning a championship with the Dallas Mavericks."

Rondo was asked if he'd want to play with Bryant -- and he didn't deny it.

"I'm focused on what I have to do right now," Rondo said. "It's impossible to play with Kobe right now."

It's very, very easy to picture Rondo landing in L.A.

The Lakers are big-game hunters, after all, and he's a four-time All-Star, an NBA champion in 2008 with the Boston Celtics and the author of some of the most mind-boggling stat lines and highlights for any NBA player in recent memory.
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/41334/is-rondo-worth-kobe-recruiting-to-lakers

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
I don't know how I feel about Rondo coming to LA. But he's better than anyone we've got now, though I am loving seeing the continued improvement from Jordan Clarkson.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really care if Rondo leaves, I'm already assuming he will. Just bothers me they talk about it so openly.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
I don't really care if Rondo leaves, I'm already assuming he will. Just bothers me they talk about it so openly.
Kobe is going to get fined for this, right?

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if they fine players for recruiting other players. Only front office people get fined for recruiting I think.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
I don't know if they fine players for recruiting other players. Only front office people get fined for recruiting I think.
It is technically against the rules, but I believe that a player (or the players union) would have to bring forth an action against Kobe in order for there to be an investigation. I guess he figures he's bullet proof with that group.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts