Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting this to who really thinks kobe will not be in a lakers uniform next year. personally, after this whole years mess with the trial and the early season scuffle with shaq(which i still wonder if it was real, or just something they did to get people talking about bball, and get off kobes trial?) Personally, i see kobe not in a lakers uni and either going to one of 3 different spots next year:
1. Clippers, reasoning: would stay in same building, same fan base, same enviroment he has had all career, just move locker rooms, and could try and show the world that LA is big enough for shaq and him, just on different teams
2. Grizzlies, reasoning: jerry west. the man brought him to LA, loves Kobe, and would do anything to get him back. and would be the go to guy and help build a team that hasnt done anything while it has been alive.
3 Bobcats, reasoning: Expansion. He would be in the east, where he would dominate and get to compete with better guards, unlike the west where it is dominated by size and the forward spots. yes sure the west has great guards as well, but kobe vs Mcgrady, AI, Lebron 12 times a year instead of 6. he would love it, plus it goes with building a team from nothing, showing he can do it.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I think there's at least a 90% chance that Kobe Bryant will be a Laker next season and into the foreseeable future, for four reasons:

* The Lakers can offer him the most money. Money talks.

* The Lakers will be a championship-contending team, still, next season. Everyone likes to be a winner...the media has much nicer things to say about you, if you are.

* The Lakers reside in Los Angeles, the second largest market in the country, arguably the most glamorous, arguably the most lucrative in terms of entertainment cross-ventures. Market dictates visibility and visibility dictates commercials which is another revenue stream.

* Los Angeles is where his family is already situated. While family situation is not going to stand in the way of a much better situation, it's just one more reason to take all of the above offered by the Lakers.

The chances that Bryant will ignore all of those factors to join another team, just to end this silly "Who's the man?" controversy seem extremely slim. If the rape charges blow away, Bryant is LA's crown prince, not Shaq. Bryant is the future of the team, not Shaq. Bryant knows he's got much longer left than Shaq does. He can inherit the team and have all of the above factors plus be "the Man" in LA.

He knows all this. So chances are that it's terribly, terribly unlikely he'll make a move to a new team.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Wow, extremely well said Minstrel.

I'd only add that Kobe went from saying "I'm going to opt out this summer", giving no indication if LA was his first choice, to "I'm going to opt out this summer, but LA is my preference".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why couldnt he go to memphis, jerry west would do his damnest to get him, if that means trading or releasing some players. And why wouldnt he go to charlotte? yes it is across the country and a new conference, but if he was to leave, i bet it would be one of these 3 teams. Im not saying he is leaving LA at all, personally i think he might, but he could ultimately stay put. The lakers will be an even older team next year, maybe he will go to where there is a better future.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and i am just saying memphis and the bobcats as possible situations for kobe to look at. I personally think he will stay where he wants to LA, but it wont be in the gold and purple, instead for the clippers

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Jerry West said in an interview, that if Kobe went to him for advice, he would tell Kobe to stay in L.A. He wants best for the kid that he took a chance on, and he said staying in L.A. is the best option for Kobe.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nashdaddy25</b>!

I personally think he will stay where he wants to LA, but it wont be in the gold and purple, instead for the clippers
Do you have anything to back up this belief, like an expressed preference by Kobe? Otherwise, what do you base this on?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I think theres a good chance he'll stay in LA, mainly because usually teams do a good job of holding onto established superstars. Look at Duncan, JO, Kidd, KG, etc. Shaq coming to LA was really the biggest FA move in a long while, Tmac wasnt a big enough star when he left Toronto to be considered an established superstar.

However, I think theres a good possibility he'll leave as well. I think the Suns are the biggest possibility, even though the thread starter didnt even mention them as a possiblity. They have a lot of cap space right now, and it wouldnt take much for them to clear whats necessary to offer a max contract. Not to mention Kobes ties with the Suns coach.

It depends on Kobe will be looking for "a new start" after the trial, or if he really wants to get away from Shaq. Who knows.

I wouldnt be surprised either way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

Do you have anything to back up this belief, like an expressed preference by Kobe? Otherwise, what do you base this on?
the only expressed statements from kobe that i know of are yes he wants to stay in LA and even though it has died down, and you can deny it, that him and shaq dont get along. The clippers would be the same enviroment for him just in a different locker room. He would have some decent people to surround himself with(brand, magette,richardson) and some promising young players(wilcox and kaman). He has said verbally he wants to show he can win without shaq, weather or not he says he wants to stay in LA. And i dont know kobe personally, but from the type of player he is, i could see him have the hope of turning a laughable franchise in the league into a good team, to say he did it. Where ever he goes, i dont care, just i wanted to see other peoples opinions. I have always leaned towards him going to the Clippers, but by talking to other people they have got me thinking about the other teams. Im not trying to convince anyone on where he is gonna go, cuz honestly, unless we know kobe personally, we dont know.

also, if he was at the clips, even though he would be consitered a "away" team in two of the games, he would still get to play his old team in the same arena he has always played in his whole life. Thats just an interesting fact which i have no backing on why i said it.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
Wow, extremely well said Minstrel.

I'd only add that Kobe went from saying "I'm going to opt out this summer", giving no indication if LA was his first choice, to "I'm going to opt out this summer, but LA is my preference".
He said LA? Well aren't there 2 teams in LA? One with his bird rights and another with enough cap to make a max offer?

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nashdaddy25</b>!
why couldnt he go to memphis, jerry west would do his damnest to get him, if that means trading or releasing some players. And why wouldnt he go to charlotte? yes it is across the country and a new conference, but if he was to leave, i bet it would be one of these 3 teams. Im not saying he is leaving LA at all, personally i think he might, but he could ultimately stay put. The lakers will be an even older team next year, maybe he will go to where there is a better future.
If you release players you still have them on your cap. And there may not be very many teams to trade his (West's-Grizzles') to clear room for Kobe. It's possible, but it's a long shot. Further more, how do you think they match up in a sign and trade for Kobe? Would the Lakers want Gasol and others? Would the Lakers do a sign and trade?

-Petey

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
He said LA? Well aren't there 2 teams in LA? One with his bird rights and another with enough cap to make a max offer?
He meant the Lakers. Jim Grey asked him if the LA Lakers were still an option, and he said something along the lines of "LA is my preference obviously".

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!

He meant the Lakers. Jim Grey asked him if the LA Lakers were still an option, and he said something along the lines of "LA is my preference obviously".
L.A may be his choice, but as Petey mentioned, there are two teams in L.A. I don't see how that statement proves that he wants to stay with the Lakers, because he didn't specifically mention either team.

I would still like to believe that he did mean the Lakers, because in most likelyhood, he wouldn't get as much recognition and interest as he would/should with the Clippers. Plus, you have to remember that Shaq will probably retire within 4-6 years. By that time, Kobe will be in his prime, and probably playing up to the best of his abilities (which could be scary). If the Lakers had an opportunity to trade Shaq for younger talent to surround Kobe, do you think they would do so?

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Kobe can't go to Memphis unless he takes the MLE which he obviously won't.

If he leaves he goes to the Suns or Clips. Though I doubt that if he leaves the Lakers he wants to go to LA's second team. He might want to escape the media pressure of LA.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I really doubt Kobe would go to an expansion team. I don't know if the Grizzlies have enough juice to pull a sign-and-trade for Kobe. I think at this point the teams w/ the best chance to have him next year:

1.) Lakers
2.) Suns
3.) Clipps
4.) Grizz

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Budweiser_Boy</b>!
I think he's gonna stay in LA. There's at least an 80% chance he will in my opinion.

But if he doesn't, then say hello to your 2004-2005 NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.
I think the Spurs are going to re-sign Manu. I don't know if they would go after Kobe. Hell, after signing Rasho last year I'm not even sure that they have the cap room to do so.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pinball</b>!

I think the Spurs are going to re-sign Manu. I don't know if they would go after Kobe. Hell, after signing Rasho last year I'm not even sure that they have the cap room to do so.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too... but if they do have the space I don't see why they can't have both. Their lineup could be:

PG: Parker
SG: Ginobili
SF: Bryant
PF: Duncan
C: Nesterovic

That team would probably be as favoured, if not more, than this year's Lakers team to win it all, especially considering their bench is better than the 03-04 Lakers'.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I wonder if the Spurs will have enough room to sign him. I suppose they could do a sign-and-trade w/ Ginobili. That is of course, if they want Kobe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts