Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

What do you think of Kobe's D?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Yeah..A Knicks Fan
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of Kobe's defense this season?

Not what he's capable of, not what his number of steals are, not what he's done in the past. I want to know what you think of Kobe's defense this season, team and individually.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Average. Majority of the time he's just coasting around or playing his 'pretend' D where he wildly moves his arms around to make people think he's actually trying(pretty funny to watch). His team defense especially is consistently poor.

Kobe shouldn't and WON'T make any All D Teams this season.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
He doesn't really guard his man any more, he just plays the passing lanes and tries to poke the ball out from the blind side. He plays "free safety" and conserves his energy for offense. His lockdown mode only comes when the shot clock is running out or not at all.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
I selected "fair." He's capable of very good defense, but the vast majority of the time, he's not doing much better than average at keeping his man in front of him and he's not a very active team defender.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
Like A Breath said:
He doesn't really guard his man any more, he just plays the passing lanes and tries to poke the ball out from the blind side. He plays "free safety" and conserves his energy for offense. His lockdown mode only comes when the shot clock is running out or not at all.
completely agree.

i think hes being playing pretty poor D personally

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Like A Breath said:
This is a very good description of Kobe's D this year.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Good is the answer. The only shortcoming is inconsistency due to the energy factor. He plays good defense about half the time, great defense some of the time and average defense some of the time.
Some of it being saving energy, some of it has to do with losing a bit as compared to when he was 21.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Kobe obviously has gone down from his All Defensive 1st team status. He can still stop any player at any given night, like patchwork said energy factor plays a huge role on exerting as much effort as he used to.

·
Yeah..A Knicks Fan
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John said:
Some of it being saving energy, some of it has to do with losing a bit as compared to when he was 21.
And not having the Diesel to split the offense with. I don't think he's lots a step at all, if anything he's gained one, he's in his athletic prime.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
The only shortcoming is inconsistency due to the energy factor.
I agree, except I wouldn't qualify such a shortcoming with "only." Consistency is the entire point. Every player in the league can D up at least for a moment. The good/great defenders are ones who do it a great majority of the time, the poor defenders are the ones who rarely do it.

He plays good defense about half the time, great defense some of the time and average defense some of the time.
I'd say his range is great to poor, with average being the median value. There are times when Bryant puts virtually no effort into hounding his man. There are other times when he's extremely disruptive. Suggesting that he never plays poor defense is very far from the truth.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
matt! said:
And not having the Diesel to split the offense with. I don't think he's lots a step at all, if anything he's gained one, he's in his athletic prime.
ummm...right

·
Yeah..A Knicks Fan
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
duncan2k5 said:
ummm...right
Go ahead, tell me why I'm wrong?

Without having Shaq to split the offensive load with, he has to carry the team on one half and do a lot of work to get open, drive, make shots, and control the offense.

And its pretty widely accepted that a person's athletic prime is 25-29 or so.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
36 Karat said:
When Kobe's points = 8x that of the man he's guarding, his defensive effort is pretty irrelevant. But, for the sake of argument, I'm voting good. The description next to it explains my vote.
well im glad that kobes scoring makes his opponents irrelevant. but kwamare letting his man score 8times as much as he does kinda cancels out kobes effort. hence the 34-33 record

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
matt! said:
Stop saying the athletic prime. Even Jordan was far more athletic when he was 21 than 27. So was Vince Carter.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
John said:
Stop saying the athletic prime. Even Jordan was far more athletic when he was 21 than 27. So was Vince Carter.
thank you. ppl don't reach their athletic prime at 27-28. its more like 20-21. i agree with him about the shaq part though

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.