Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Had we signed a couple of those guys, we probably wouldn't have been in a position to get Tyson (Chandler) and Eddy (Curry)," Krause said. "Certainly, that's going to pay off huge down the line, because they're going to be outstanding players.

"They are going to be players who are going to be bigger than the free agents we would have gotten and certainly I think are going to have longer careers. So some things just work out for the best." --The Daily Herald, 10/14/02.

"Those guys" Krause is referring to include Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Eddie Jones, Antonio Davis and Tim Thomas. The Bulls went after all of them, but they each chose to sign elsewhere. Now our General Manager is predicting brighter careers for Chandler and Curry than any of the free agents we might have signed over the past few years. Talk about Great Expectations!

Personally I'd be very happy if our two young big men's names can one day be mentioned in the same sentence with any of those highly accomplished players. But to predict they'll be bigger names than any of the aforementioned vets is one of the most severe examples of blowing smoke up the public's collective butts I've ever heard. Chill out, Jerry. :naughty:

·
Registered
297 Posts
the only two people I can see that would end up better for the Bulls would be of course Tim Duncan and Tracy McGrady.

Antonio Davis, and Eddie Jones would've been decent but wouldn't have gone anywhere

Grant Hill's injuries would've killed us especially in the wallet

Tim Thomas just hasnt proven his worth yet.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DickieHurtz</b>!
"Had we signed a couple of those guys, we probably wouldn't have been in a position to get Tyson (Chandler) and Eddy (Curry)," Krause said. "Certainly, that's going to pay off huge down the line, because they're going to be outstanding players.

"They are going to be players who are going to be bigger than the free agents we would have gotten and certainly I think are going to have longer careers. So some things just work out for the best." --The Daily Herald, 10/14/02.

"Those guys" Krause is referring to include Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Eddie Jones, Antonio Davis and Tim Thomas. The Bulls went after all of them, but they each chose to sign elsewhere. Now our General Manager is predicting brighter careers for Chandler and Curry than any of the free agents we might have signed over the past few years. Talk about Great Expectations!

Personally I'd be very happy if our two young big men's names can one day be mentioned in the same sentence with any of those highly accomplished players. But to predict they'll be bigger names than any of the aforementioned vets is one of the most severe examples of blowing smoke up the public's collective butts I've ever heard. Chill out, Jerry. :naughty:
Nicely said DickieH!

Its easy for Jerry Krause to look back on past history and say this or that. The fact is 2-3 years ago owners and GMs were giving away their cash, w/ contracts at max or near-max going to largely unworthy players. Jerry Krause was one of them. In fact, he boasted about signing two of these players to full-boat contracts to build around Elton Brand.

The fact is we had Tim Thomas, Eddie Jones, then Glen Rice, and Antonio Davis (last offseason) all signed-sealed-delivered if not for their respective teams offering more jack last minute. Tim Thomas and A.Davis were the closest to actually being here. That's a scary fact my friends.

So please pardon me if I read Jerry K's statement as pure PR and a 'cloud of smoke'. If his original plan had gone as he so badly wanted it, I'm not sure if things would have 'worked out for the best'. As it stands, we've got a long road and a bright future. Hopefully our two kids can get us to the top, and soon.

VD

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
Re: Re: Krause Sets the Bar for Tyson and Eddy

Originally posted by <b>Vin Diesel</b>!
The fact is we had Tim Thomas, Eddie Jones, then Glen Rice, and Antonio Davis (last offseason) all signed-sealed-delivered if not for their respective teams offering more jack last minute. Tim Thomas and A.Davis were the closest to actually being here. That's a scary fact my friends.
As a Krause supporter in general, I have to concede this-- although I would not include AD in the list of closest to actually being here (I think it was the Bulls who pulled out of that deal.) But in the case of Jones, Rice, and Thomas, you guys are absolutely right.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Krause not Blowing Smoke

I don't think Krause is blowing any smoke with regard to Tyson and Eddy. Anybody that can't see how truly great, elite NBA talents these guys will is BLIND. I don't subscirbe to the "he hasn't PROVEN anything in the NBA yet" theory. Some guys are just such premier talents that you can tell they will dominate once they've matured.

Tyson and Eddy are just 20 and 19, but are ALREADY showing they belong in the NBA (and in the starting lineup) and are players to be reckoned with. They look more advanced at their age than any other players I've seen besides Kobe and KG. Curry is a monster with great athleticism, size and skill. He WILL be the "next bext thing" to Shaq. I have no doubt of this. Tyson is a GREAT defensive talent with good offensive skill and athleticism that will continue to develop. He is right up there in the mix with guys like KG, Rasheed and J O'Neal. Just give him a little time and you'll see how great of a player he is.

I am going to laugh it up wholheartedly in a year or two when Tyson and Eddy beginning rolling over their competition night in and night out. I will think back to the silly arguments that the Brand trade was stupid (yeah, just like trading Vlade for Kobe was stupid!) or people saying that the "verdict is still out" on whether Tyson and Eddy will ever be good. If you can't see it right now, YOU ARE BLIND.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kneepad</b>!

As a Krause supporter in general, I have to concede this-- although I would not include AD in the list of closest to actually being here (I think it was the Bulls who pulled out of that deal.) But in the case of Jones, Rice, and Thomas, you guys are absolutely right.
The great irony here is that by NOT signing these guys, we are in a lot better position fiscally than if we were to have signed two of them, and have given extentions to Brand/Artest. So this does give some credence to what Jerry K said. Of the 'realistic' possibilities that almost came to the Bulls:

A.Davis, TOR - 5yrs/60 million (signed 7/01)
E.Jones MIA - 7yrs/93 million (signed 8/00)
T.Thomas MIL - 6yrs/67 million (signed 8/00)
G.Rice HOU - 4yrs/36 million (signed 9/00)

Yikes.

I also believe that the NBA Free Agent 'Boom' period is long gone, so young mediocre players will no longer be getting huge cheddar based on 'potential' or 'upside'. Also, the players that actually do get max contracts, will be those that are deserving of it. This bodes well for us in the near future if Jerry K can continue w/ shrewd dealings, and Tyson and Eddy become the players we all expect/want them to become.

VD

·
Registered
785 Posts
Oh god...this one had me laughing good. I'm sorry, but I'll take McGrady and Brand or Duncan and Brand over Chandler and Curry anyday of the week. Krause needs to lay off the kool-aid.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by <b>local_sportsfan</b>!
Oh god...this one had me laughing good. I'm sorry, but I'll take McGrady and Brand or Duncan and Brand over Chandler and Curry anyday of the week. Krause needs to lay off the kool-aid.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Originally posted by <b>local_sportsfan</b>!
And I take Curry or Chandler over Kwame who anyday of the week.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Re: Krause not Blowing Smoke

Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!

Tyson and Eddy are just 20 and 19, but are ALREADY showing they belong in the NBA (and in the starting lineup) and are players to be reckoned with. They look more advanced at their age than any other players I've seen besides Kobe and KG. I have no doubt of this. Tyson is a GREAT defensive talent with good offensive skill and athleticism that will continue to develop. He is right up there in the mix with guys like KG, Rasheed and J O'Neal. Just give him a little time and you'll see how great of a player he is.
I think you might be the one who needs glasses. Tyson hasn't shown anything yet except that a 7 footer can throw an ocassional dunk and get an ocassional block. He is a LONG WAY from being a good player, he looks lost and confused and frustrated. I'm not saying he wont eventually be a good player, but right now he just isn't. There are a number of players who are better than Tyson at that age.... one being D-Miles.......Its nice to have high hopes but Tyson is going to have to show dramatic improvement for him to be considered the next big thing! :sour:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The "clip" Show,

I think your Darius Miles bias is showing through just a bit and if anything Miles corroborates just how good Chandler will be. I agree Miles will be great, but he's young and hasn't shown refinement yet. He's a phenomenal athlete who naturally lacks in some offensive skill areas (outside shot for instance). Even if he is never a very good shooter, he will still be a great player. Tyson is also a phenomenal athlete who is still very young, but unlike Miles is 7'1 (a rarity in this league) and HAS some good offensive skills.

True, Tyson Chandler hasn't PROVEN anything or SHOWN much yet. Did I mention that he just turned 20? My point is: IT DOESN'T TAKE A GENIUS TO SEE THAT BASED ON THE SKILLS HE CURRENTLY HAS AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE AND HIS CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT HE WILL BECOME A GREAT PLAYER. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO SEE.

Give a look at Rasheed for example. The guy wasn't in the NBA till he was 21, then still took about 4 years until he was considered a star. Tyson is a better athlete than Rasheed. Tyson is taller. Tyson is a better natural defensive player. Tyson has better offensive abilities (outside touch, ball handling, etc) at a similar age. Same thing when comparing Tyson to Jermaine O'Neal, and look how he's turned out.

It takes young guys to develop, but Tyson is both highly developed for his age and is getting better by the minute. He is among the leaders in the league in blocks per minute. He is already finding ways to get himself into double digits scoring and rebounding even with limited development. Anybody who criticizes Chandler is, for some reason, EXPECTING him to have a refined offensive repertoire. Why??? It takes learning, practicing and building confidence before it can come out in full force. Te fact that he is facing up, getting the ball underneath and showing a baby hook, and scoring off the break is nothing but encouraging. Once he gains weight and can hold his position in the post and work on some moves, he will be a major offensive force. Oh yeah, and did I mention how great of a defender he will be?

Yeah, I know you'll find some fault with the hype here, and I'm not gonna get in a logic war. All I can say is that his skills, size, athleticism, work ethic at his age are nothing short of astonishing and if he's already a legit player in the NBA by age 20, just imagine when he's 25! How can you possibly doubt him??? I just don't see it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tri_N</b>!

And I take Curry or Chandler over Kwame who anyday of the week.
Sure you would. Weren't you the one who wanted Kwame on your fantasy team? :bbanana:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Actually I'd take Curry first.

Then I'd take Kwame over Chandler, but would rather have Elton Brand over both of these guys.

Ultimately, I'd rather have Curry and Brand... throw in T-Mac too!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
The "clip" Show,

I think your Darius Miles bias is showing through just a bit and if anything Miles corroborates just how good Chandler will be. I agree Miles will be great, but he's young and hasn't shown refinement yet.

Yeah, I know you'll find some fault with the hype here, and I'm not gonna get in a logic war. All I can say is that his skills, size, athleticism, work ethic at his age are nothing short of astonishing and if he's already a legit player in the NBA by age 20, just imagine when he's 25! How can you possibly doubt him??? I just don't see it.
I think Tyson will be good YEARS from now. My point was just that everyone hypes him and his stats right now! I watched the preseason games and he looked HORRIBLE...... His stats are garbage right now, there not indicative of the way he plays and contributes.... My point about D-miles (who isn't even a clipper anymore) is that his basketball skills or fundamentals are much better than Tyson's at the same age. Like I've said before Tyson just looks like he's an athlete, but not a basketball player, while Eddie Curry lookes like both... Watch the two of them next time and how they play and you'll see what I mean.....
Trust me I like Tyson and I want to see him improve, im just tired of hearing how, good he IS NOW, so when you said only KG and whoever were better at that age, that isn't true.:no:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Andrei Kiralenko is better than Chandler too.... there is a list of players much much better at a younger age.:mob:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>THE'clip'SHOW</b>!

I think Tyson will be good YEARS from now. My point was just that everyone hypes him and his stats right now! I watched the preseason games and he looked HORRIBLE...... His stats are garbage right now, there not indicative of the way he plays and contributes.... My point about D-miles (who isn't even a clipper anymore) is that his basketball skills or fundamentals are much better than Tyson's at the same age.
So we should just ignore the stats and take your word for how good Chandler is right now. Nah.....

As for Miles, he needs to get better too. And he is a year more seasoned than Tyson. And when they both figure out how to *really* play ball Darrius will still be 4 inches shorter than Chandler.

Bottom line - the only guy in the history of the league that played significantly better than Tyson in his first year as a rookie out of HS in the last 10 years is Garnett.

I'll take our chances.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

Bottom line - the only guy in the history of the league that played significantly better than Tyson in his first year as a rookie out of HS in the last 10 years is Garnett.
:rolleyes: Whatever.... It will be fun commenting throughout the season on how many times Tyson is outplayed by guys who are not suppose to be good at all........ I saw what those two guys on the Raptors did to him and they don't even play in the league. If the bulls do well (and I hope they do) it will be because of Curry, Rose, EROB and Marshall, and JC. Tyson needs a mentor bad...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have no idea whether Curry and Chandler will be better than the guys we tried to get. Yet I am encouraged by Krause's statements. if anybody can tell how good they will be, it's someone in the Bulls' organization who sees them practice and develop everyday. Yeah, he might be blowing smoke, but I think he really believes this. If he wanted to make a PR statement, he could just say they will both become all stars - a less risky statement that does the job. Instead, he is taking the chance to tell what he really thinks about those guys. I hope he's right.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It's hard to tell how good Chandler will be right now. Personally, I don't think he will be as good as O'Neal, Wallace, KG, even Miles. These are the 4 players that you guys are comparing him to.

When KG first came in this league, he was 5 times better than Chandler right now. Not only could KG block shots, run the floor, but he also had somewhat of a jumper. He was producing whenever he received minutes. Especially the 2nd half of his rookie year.

Wallace -- I don't remember.

O'Neal -- As a rookie, he was a lot stronger than Chandler. He rebounded very better. His outputs were very good for limited minutes played.

Miles -- Only 1 year older but 2 years better. Simply as that.

Again, we really don't know. We should wait another "say" 3 seasons before judging Chandler's game.

Ohh, I am a big Bulls Fan.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!
It's hard to tell how good Chandler will be right now. Personally, I don't think he will be as good as O'Neal, Wallace, KG, even Miles. These are the 4 players that you guys are comparing him to.

When KG first came in this league, he was 5 times better than Chandler right now. Not only could KG block shots, run the floor, but he also had somewhat of a jumper. He was producing whenever he received minutes. Especially the 2nd half of his rookie year.

Wallace -- I don't remember.

O'Neal -- As a rookie, he was a lot strong than Chandler. He rebounded very well. His outputs were very good for limited minutes played.

Miles -- Only 1 year older but 2 years better. Simply as that.

Again, we really don't know. We should wait another "say" 3 seasons before judging Chandler's game.

Ohh, I am a big Bulls Fan.
Respect Loakhoet.... your the one of the few posters on the bulls threads who can objectivly judge talent. I'm not trying to bash any bulls players I wish them the best, I know how it is to have to be on the defensive - I'm a clips fan. :grinning:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts